Aston Vantage V8 upgrade | FerrariChat

Aston Vantage V8 upgrade

Discussion in 'British' started by jratcliff, Jan 1, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I went by my local Aston dealer yesterday and asked him how was sales. He gave me the double thumbs down, this comming from the eternal optimise. Whlie I was there I asked about the upgrade kit from Aston for a power boost to the 08 and older V8's. He showed me the new intake manifold (which look exactly like the original except it is painted black) and the air boxes. Since I've never seen mine I can't comment on the difference. So the price installed was $5100. I asked about the power increase and was told it was approxiamately the same as the 09 (420 hp). What do you guys think?

John

2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Go for gold and get that ESX supercharger! You've seen the videos, right?

3. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Yeah I talked to them a month ago and still have interest. The mod from Aston won't invalidate the warranty like the supercharger will. I told them (Aston dealer) once they did a mod to call me so that I can see if I feel the difference.

John

4. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I hear you. 40hp for $5k isn't terrible for a factory upgrade (surely Ferrari guys pay that kind of money for Tubi setups), but maybe you could negotiate a little more. I'd guess they have at least 30% wiggle room on both the parts and the labor.

5. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    For the first time that I can remember they had plenty of new cars on the showroom floor. They had a kit there which someone ordered and then backed out on. I think I'll call the salesman monday and see if they want to make a deal.

John

6. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #6 ryalex, Jan 1, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
    Dealer here had a DBS a few weeks ago which was also a backed-out order. They've had a titanium/bordeaux DB9 volante for what must be at least 9 mos. They have had a red V8V like yours, with a blue interior, on the floor for prob 6 mos. They had a DB9 sport pack that sat there for what must have been a year...

7. birdness

birdness Karting

Mar 12, 2005
    Toronto
    The increase in power is 20 bhp, bringing it to 400 hp ( The 09 is 420 hp). If anyone has had the upgrade would like to hear if it's worth it
    Happy New Year

8. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Is there a delete option for the antenna? That stock coupe antenna looks like a toy IMO, makes the whole car look like a big R/C car. If $20k Japanese cars can have rear windshield-integrated antennae then a $120k Aston could too.

9. LiveFromNY

LiveFromNY Karting

Sep 13, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I had an '07 Vantage at 380hp and now I have an '08 N400 Vantage at 400hp. IMHO, the hp difference is not that noticeable. Perhaps a bit better at higher rpms. What IS noticeable is the new suspension package. It's superb.

10. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Cant you get the 007 Rocket motor ? :)

11. LiveFromNY

LiveFromNY Karting

Sep 13, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Antennas are gone as of 2008 model.

12. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    The service manager said since I already had the Quicksilver exhaust the reported hp increase with the exhaust change was 37 hp, putting it at 417 hp. This should be seat of the pants increase, but before I shell out $5100 or less I need to see some proof. Thats why I told them when they did one I would like a ride to test, unless he wants to sell me the one they have at cost (fat chance of that).

If I do get it I will give an unbiased review. I'm not into trying to support my bad decisions if it doesn't make since.

John

13. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    no way do i believe that intake/exhaust mods will add 10% hp to any current sport car motor. will definitely change the sound and maybe improve the dyno curve but just as likely to LOOSE hp as it is to add it.

if you get it be sure to dyno car before and after

14. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    #14 jratcliff, Jan 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
    The 07 V8 Vantage has a fairly restrictive exhaust and cats. Improvement in the intake and exhausts along with a new chip programming to take advantage of this has shown an improvement (if properly implemented). I've done this to my Gallardo with success and with the TR (it was prime for improvements). I will say that not all mods are created equal and can infact lead to some lose in HP, but this is a well conceived factory mod.

Taken from ad:

Available immediately through the dealer network, customers will be able to upgrade their existing 4.3 liter V8 engine to an even more potent version of Aston Martin’s already impressive power unit. With the addition of the power upgrade, peak power is raised by 20bhp to 400bhp and torque is increased by 10Nm to 420Nm, increasing top speed to 177mph and delivering a slight improvement in the 0-60mph time.

Developed by the Aston Martin engineering team, the power upgrade is realized through a revised induction system using technology previously introduced on the DBS. The induction system has a pair of switching airbox-valves that open at 5,500rpm allowing additional air into the engine producing more power in a controlled manner. The engine’s control unit has also been re-programmed with new software to optimize ignition timing. In addition the new calibration allows the engine to recognize higher octane fuels, further maximizing performance.

More performance is added through exhaust mods.

John

15. sunburn

sunburn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Dawsonville, GA
    Full Name:
    Rick R.
    If you're close to the end of your warranty you might wait and look at the ProDrive upgrade.

PERFORMANCE PACK

Prodrive's engine performance pack for the V8 Vantage includes a recalibrated ECU specifically mapped for UK fuel, and in particular, Shell V-Power 99.
    The standard exhaust catalysts are replaced with free-flow units to reduce backpressure and the rev limit is increased by 300 rpm.

With the performance pack fitted engine output increases to 425 bhp (317 kW), while maximum torque rises to 440 Nm (325 lbft), making the car far more responsive throughout the entire rev range.

On the road these improvements reduce the 0-60 mph (97 kph) time by 0.4 secs, the 0-100 mph (161 kph) by 0.9 secs and the 0-130 mph (209 kph) by 2.4 secs*.

The performance pack also features a switchable exhaust setting which offers a choice of leaving the bypass valve permanently open to enjoy the sound of the V8 engine, running in normal mode or a run-quiet mode of just 83 db with the valve closed.

*Calibrated tests carried out with Datron measuring system at Millbrook 13 June 2007 with driver, passenger and a three quarter full tank of fuel.

Witnessed by John Grist, general manager, Datron Technology.

16. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Since Prodrive are partial owners of Aston I'm not sure the upgrade I mentioned above isn't the same as you noted.

John

17. MiamiPhotog

MiamiPhotog Rookie

Dec 9, 2008
    Great info. Thanks for sharing

18. sunburn

sunburn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Dawsonville, GA
    Full Name:
    Rick R.
    Very possible John but the HP and torque results from Prodrive are quite different. Tacking on 45 hp is quite impressive. However, I don't know the price tag of the kit yet. Has anyone found the cost of the Prodrive kit?
    I've sent an e-mail to Prodrive asking about the price, whether it's available in the US and does it void the factory warranty?
    I'll post the response.

Rick . . . .

19. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Rick,
    The numbers shown above in the ad are without the muffler & freeflow cat mod. I think with those added it should be close, but if you find Prodrive having a different mod let me know. I'm not real keen on screwing the warranty though.

John

20. sunburn

sunburn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Dawsonville, GA
    Full Name:
    Rick R.
    I bet that would make up the difference. I only have 2 months left on my warranty so I might take the plunge if the price is not out of control.

Rick . . . .

21. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Rick,
    I'd be interested in the outcome. I am in touch with the Aston dealer here and told him if they do a mod to let me know, I want to check it out.

John

22. sunburn

sunburn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Dawsonville, GA
    Full Name:
    Rick R.
    Here's the message I received from Mike at ProDrive relative to the Vantage upgrades. They sent a PDF of their brochure but it's too large (1.2 meg) to upload. I can e-mail it if anyone wants it.

Hi Rick
    Many thanks for your enquiry.
    Please find enclosed the latest information on the range of parts we have developed specifically for the 4.3 V8 Vantage with manual transmission.
    Below are the prices and availability of the various parts, all prices are quoted including 15% VAT and fitting at our new Warwick fitment centre in the UK. For logistical and technical reasons, it's not possible to fit the engine upgrade anywhere else other than our workshop here which unfortunately means getting the car to us. This hasn't been too much of a problem for some customers, we've had a car here from New Zealand as well as cars from Germany, France, Italy and Switzerland!!! The suspension and wheels could be fitted by any skilled Aston Martin Technician as we can provide a detailed build process sheet if necessary.

Performance engine upgrade with selectable exhaust settings. Available now @ £4494.20.
    19" Forged alloy wheels & tyres. Available now @ £3519. Note that for cars with TPM, the necessary sensors are £264.26/car set

Carbon fibre aero package. Available now @ £2587.05.

Suspension package, electronically selectable. Available now @ £4916.03.

Warranty on the engine will be covered to exactly the same terms as before to the balance of the 3 years, however it will be a Prodrive Warranty rather than the Aston Martin Warranty. Everything else is unaffected.
    Please don't hestitate to contact me again if you need any further details.

Regards

Mike Wood