Red Line in CT | FerrariChat

Red Line in CT

Discussion in 'New England' started by mondial86, Jan 1, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mondial86

mondial86 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    David Holmes
    A friend of mine is thinking of using Red Line in CT. for some Ferrari restoration work.
    I am interisted in any feedback/experience that any of you have regarding this shop.
    Thank You Dave

2. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    Not familiar with the name...sorry.

What part of CT is he in and what level of restoration is he interested in? I might be able to recommend someone.

3. silk32

silk32 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2005
    ASS MASS N.Attleboro
    Full Name:
    matt
    i've heard good things about f40 down in ct. plus they guy has his own car show now

4. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Seriously, when it comes to restoration, check out Black Horse Garage in Bridgeport, Connecticut. They are really unbelievable. I was blown away at some the restorations they had going on when I picked up my Ferrari, and they stand by their work like nobody I have ever done business with.

Blackhorsegarage.com

5. vintagemotorcars

BANNED

Apr 22, 2008
    Mesa Az.
    Full Name:
    KP
    I've seen some of the cars that Redline Restoration have done at Pebble Beach and some of the other major concours over the years and they always seem to win an award. I met a gentleman at the Copperstate 1000 this year with a very exspensive Alfa they did and he had nothing but good things to say. They were also doing a vintage f-car for him but I don't remember what it was.

6. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    This may be so, but....watching him on TV spray paint the inner wheel well of a vintage Fiat Spyder (without even cleaning the old crud off) didn't really insprire any confidence in his "restoration abilities"....

7. marty1

marty1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2009
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Marty Huff
    I would highly reccomend Red Line. A close friend of mine had his 4 Cam in supposedly one of CT's best Ferrari Mechanical shops for over 2 years, and after 50,000 the shop could not fix the the running and overheating probems. The repair shop gladly gave the car to Red Line and within 3 weeks the problems were correctedand the performance was improved for a pittance of what had been paid previously. I am going to bring my 250 there in the Spring.

8. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Where is the Red Line Restorations you are talking about located? Google turns up two Red Line Restorations, one in Stamford and the other in Bridgeport. The one in Stamford apparently has had a $5.6 million judgment against it by the Connecticut Superior Court. While a state marshall was seizing some of the property in 2007, apparently a customer's Delahaye was damaged while being moved and now they are in the middle of another lawsuit for $350,000 in damages involving the insurance company and the shop.

I am not familiar with either shop, but it is clear that it is important to understand which shop we are talking about.

John

9. ferrari4you

ferrari4you Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 1, 2007
    Red Line Restoration is located in Bridgeport. They have an excellent restoration shop of approx. 25,000 sqft. They have worked on my 330GTS, fully restored my 330GTC and my 246GTS. They worked on my 300SL Roadster and my XKE Roadster. All to my full satisfaction. I have recommended their work to others before and have seen a 166MM Barchetta, a 375MM Spyder, a SWB Caliofornia Spyder being fully restored there. The result was always up to very high standards and correct. A damaged 275GTB alloy car was repaired there and was better as ever before. Their prices are fair and they work seven days a week and are able to push out products rather quickly if necessary.
    I know that several prominent collectors from across the nation are having their cars restored there. They restored an ex SF Alfa 6C2300MM which won best race car ward at Amelia Island last year. They will show two such SF Alfa race cars at Cavallino 2009 and are presently restoring two Maserati 300S from ground up. My recommendation is a clear "Thimbs Up". Most important, they take their jobs in and finish them while other shops take their sweet time.
    I am NOT part of Red Line Restoration, nor associatedwith them, but although very demanding and having high expectations I am a very happy customer.

10. TEDJ77

TEDJ77 Rookie

Mar 25, 2006
    Ocean Ridge, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ted Johnson
    Just to jump in, I have known Red Line and the principals for nearly twenty years and I would agree with the earlier post that there are few shops in the US that can carry out the extensive restorations they seem to do as a matter of course. What I particularly appreciate is the level of craftsmanship that is fast disappearing. The place feels like the kind of shop you might have stumbled into in Modena or Byfleet fifty years ago. they don't do the job unless they do it right. Craftsmanship as art. I say this as a customer and and friend, I can highly reccomend the place. they have always treated me fairly and straightforwardly. I never had a problem with an invoice and they are always willing to work with the customer to save money if possible. Proof of that is that many top rank collectors use the place and you would be amazed to see what is just laying around. Go and take a look. It's worth your while.

Ted Johnson

11. Donald H.

Donald H. Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2009
    Red Line quoted me a price yesterday to do a bare metal spray on my 250 Cab that is about 10% less than everyone else, that I have spoken to.
    More important is that they stated a guaranteed turn around time of 4 weeks!
    I will be goint to their shop next week. I will report back.
    The shipping expenses will be worth it if they can deliver on time.

12. cove26

cove26 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Website?

13. Weaselwee

Weaselwee Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2005
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Do they have a website? I thought I saw some cars for sale from them on e-bay, but I couldn't find any info on the (what I thought was a) dealership.

Jim

14. Donald H.

Donald H. Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2009
    No web site. But I just went to a link at yahoo videos that they supplied to me. ITEX VIDEOS
    Their 5 videos are worth looking at. The 200 SI Resto video is pretty cool-make sure you turn up your speaker volume.
    Fangio Gonzales Sports Racing 1950-1960.
    The contact is [email protected].
    They are apparently makaing a 375 mm and a 166 video and I can't wait to visit their shop next week.

Don

15. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Isn't it weird that everyone who has responded to this thread with glowing reviews of red line has never posted before...

16. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Glad you said it...I can't say anything pro or con....but all the rave reviewers have 1 post on Ferrarichat. hmmmm....

17. Donald H.

Donald H. Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2009
    Just visited the shop in Bridgeport. Very impressive. Glad that I stopped in.
    Don

18. Donald H.

Donald H. Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2009
    There were at least 5 Ferraris on premises along with some Alfa's, Delahaye etc.

's

19. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #19 JoeZaff, Jan 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
    Yet curiously, Don joined in Jan 09, extolling the virtues of Red Line in what has the strongest odor of Infomercial. According to your other post, you have 6 Ferraris, among 11 other cars.

Dan, I hope I am wrong, but you wouldn't happen to have any connection to Red Line, would you?

20. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    #20 Ashman, Jan 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
    Very interesting, isn't it? Sure seems unlikely that this little thread somehow has caused 4 members to either join within the last few days (Marty1 and Donald H.) to make their debut posts here and two other members who have been on the board since March 2006 (TEDJ77) and Feb. 2007 (Ferrari4You) to be so moved as to make their very first posts on this thread. Empty profiles to add to the mystery as well.

Coincidence? Hmmmmmmmmm.......

Could all be innocent but I would be cautious about putting much credibility on the advice of anonymous strangers who pop up out of nowhere.

Welcome to viral internet marketing!

John

21. Donald H.

Donald H. Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2009
    I am apparently not the only one saying positive things about red Line. in this thread there seem to be at least half a dozen.I don't feel lonely about my comments. I was just trying to be helpful.
    Don

22. Donald H.

Donald H. Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2009
    Stopped back in to visit the shop in Bridgeport this week. Was treated properly professionally and very happy with the work done on my car so far.
    Don

23. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    That's nice Don. But, with a total of 9 posts lifetime on FChat of which 6 are posts praising Red Line, would you please state for everyone here something that will convince people that you have no family connection or commercial interest in Red Line?

Surely you can understand the difficulty that readers who have no idea who you are might have in attaching credibility to your posts.

I'm not saying that everything that you have said isn't true, it just is that it makes a difference if what you say is from a truly independent and objective source as opposed to that of an owner, employee or someone who stands to benefit from the positive referral.

24. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Silence from Don H. Maybe we will never know what his relationship with Red Line is.

25. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    You should have been a detective, John! ;)

Still got the 400i?