Two Issues On 308QV (radio antennae and horn) | FerrariChat

Two Issues On 308QV (radio antennae and horn)

Discussion in '308/328' started by Andrew Bolton, Jan 3, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Andrew Bolton

Andrew Bolton Karting

Aug 20, 2004
    Spring, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andrew Bolton
    Okay, let the car sit a week or two and this is what I get.

Issue #1: The anntennae does not move anymore. Pushing the switch, I heard the motor humming, but there's no movement. I can easily pull and push the antennae with my fingers. Any suggestions?

Issue #2: At the same time as the antennae problem, I found that the horn no longer works. Hitting the horn, again, I hear it humming, but no sound. Any suggestions?

Thanks to all in advance.

Andrew

2. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    as for the horn,look at the unit under the hood,there's three screws on top,take those out and take the lid off and a few drops of oil then reassemble the lid and screws back on,that should help the horn

3. Capt Ron

Capt Ron Karting

Sep 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Sounds like a voltage drop(loss),even a little could affect accessories, just make sure the battery is completely charged.

4. Andrew Bolton

Andrew Bolton Karting

Aug 20, 2004
    Spring, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andrew Bolton
    I don't think that its a voltage issue because I hear the actuators humming at normal speed, etc., and I used them after driving the car over an hour on a 6 month old battery (it should be charged). The fact that I can pull the antennae out by finger says that something is broke inside, right?

Thanks for the post on the horn.

Andrew

5. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Andrew,
    My experience with the antennae on these things is that unless you are quite certain that it's the original antenna (few are) and worth fixing, the easiest thing to do is replace it. They are like $20.

As for the horn, if you are sure the horn is getting juice (confirm that it makes some kind of noise when you punch the horn button and you aren't just hearing the relay clicking in the dash), then it just needs lube. You can take it all apart and rebuild it, but 95% of the time a few drops of 3 in 1 oil in the top of it through the little red lube hole works like a champ and frees up the vanes in it.

Birdman

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #6 f355spider, Jan 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
    Ditto on what Birdman says on the antenna. Save the factory one for future restoration, and go buy a replacement from Ebay.
    The most likely problem with yours is the plastic "tail" on the antenna, the part that actually engages the gear on the motor has broken. You would need to find a new mast with the appropriate 'tail' that matches with your gear. Unlikely after all these years. Easiest to simply replace it. Just remember that your antenna is "semi-automatic" and requires a switch to operate. Most common antennas sold are "fully automatic" and triggered by the radio itself. Here is one being sold on Ebay today:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Harada-SX-11-AM-FM-Semi-Automatic-Power-Antenna_W0QQitemZ110332011107QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Electronics_Parts_Accessories?hash=item110332011107&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

I bought a similar one, and it connected right up to the factory wiring no problem.

7. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1 Semi-auto Harada is the way to go if you need to replace it. $15-$20. Sometimes the antenna switch is dirty too, a spray of electrical contact cleaner fixed it for me.
    If you can't get the horn working, Harbor Freight has a nearly identical air horn with compressor for about $12.

8. Andrew Bolton

Andrew Bolton Karting

Aug 20, 2004
    Spring, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andrew Bolton
    Thanks for the advice. No, I do hear the usual "humming" on the horn, not simply a click. So I'll try the oil. As for the antennae, I guess I'll do the Ebay or T-Rutlands thing. Thanks all.

Andrew

9. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Andrew,
    If the horn "hums" that means that the vanes are just stuck. It's a simple device: a motor with little vanes, like fan blades, that pump the air to the horn itself. The vanes have to be free to move, or they will not seal against the housing as the motor spins them. Hard to explain without a picture. Anyway, when the vanes aren't lubed, they stick and can't form a seal. Dump some oil in there, hit the horn button a few times to disperse, then dump a few more drops in. They will probably unstick. If not, it is a very simple project to take the horn pump out of the car, take it apart, clean, lube and put back. It'll take maybe an hour.

Birdman