Mille Miglia - 1 hour BBC show | FerrariChat

Mille Miglia - 1 hour BBC show

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by stevetr, Jan 1, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stevetr

stevetr Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen
  2. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Unfortunately, this show was avaialble in the US only on High Def TV

3. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Unfortunately as well, the site tells me that the show is only available in the UK.

4. Doug Nye

Doug Nye Formula Junior
    Honorary

Jan 21, 2008
    UK
    Relax fellers - star of the show is a British TV celebrity chef who has been tucked-up with a 1948 Maserati A6G which breaks within the first 200 miles...it's actually rather sad...and his run ends with him in tears over his allegedly super-expensive broken car. If the prices quoted in the commentary are correct (which I frankly doubt) then I get the impression somebody saw the poor chap coming...

DCN

5. AndrewWA

AndrewWA Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2005
    Sunbury, London
    Full Name:
    Andrew Stevens
    And unfortunately you don't get to see many other interesting machines. A 2.3 Alfa, an Aston and a MGA mainly...

6. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #6 Wheels1, Jan 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
    I still loved it though Doug and wish i had been there.
    I did manage to follow it in the 80's in a 61 E-type Jag convertible, and my friends were in one of the first Carrera 4's and one of the first 944's [ They worked for Porsche].
    I went with some inventive friends, who somehow, accidentally managed, to fabricate some car stickers and press passes for us and the cars, so we were able to follow, on the competitors only parts of the route, and was offered cakes and wine by the spectators along the way, as they do for the real competitors.
    We had one funny event on the trip. we lost the others and were looking for our hotel. we were on the outskirts of some town with no one around to ask as it was about 10 at night.
    We then saw a figure standing by a small fire at the side of the road, so we pulled up to ask for directions.
    It was a pretty lady with a short skirt.
    It was then it got a bit tricky as all i could say in Italian was, you are a beautiful lady and i have a beautiful car, as they were the only phrase i had learned before leaving England.[ good chat up lines]. Lucky the lady [a prostitute] spoke a bit of English and pointed to where we were supposed to go. We did not stop laughing all night.
    The things you do when you are young. Unforgettable. 2000 miles in a week in an E-type. I don't think i would fit in one now!
    Grant

7. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    Any more information about the Maserati? I recall there were some press releases at the time - put out by Maserati UK I believe - promoting the entry. I don't think anyone in the Maserati section of the site was familiar with the car.

8. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #8 Wheels1, Jan 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just dug out a few photos from the time.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I saw a little bit of it a few weeks ago. It was okay...some nice cars, but wasn't that incredible so I changed the channel.