To those of you that have bought Euro cars... | FerrariChat

To those of you that have bought Euro cars...

Discussion in '360/430' started by Matt Andrews, Jan 4, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Matt Andrews

Matt Andrews Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    There are a lot of opinions floating around about Euro cars, but I wanted to ask those of you that have insight into the process a couple questions. I want a car to drive, so I'm not overly hung up about my car needing to be a US Model, but I am a little scared of the unknown.

1. How do you know for sure that you have a legit conversion car? I have seen way too many japanese cars on our roads that have cut corners on emissions but still get plates. I am afraid of a dealer being able to simply pull strings to get a sticker on the car and I would have issues recerting further down the road. (ie - I saw a car this weekend that had a new TX emissions sticker, but no charcoal canister)
    2. How did the conversion of Kilometers to Miles work? On the car itself as well as on the title. I don't mind centigrade temp dials, but I want a mileage and speed read out in standard. There is a car currently forsale that has a USDM cluster, but the title is recording useage in Km. I would be scared of someone recording miles and ending up with a "mileage unknown" car because of a discrepancy.
    3. If I need to get more keys and remotes for the car, will I have an issue doing that at the dealer if I habe the red fob? What if I need to get a replacement red fob?

what else am I missing? Surely those of you that have been through the process are aware of other pitfalls or things to look for?

Thanks in advance.
    Matt

2. daviderx

daviderx Rookie

Feb 5, 2005
    Palm Beach County
    Full Name:
    David
    You need to asssume no warranty, some parts are different and may be difficult to source and resell value will be lower (perhaps substantially)

3. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The Km and speedo thing are pretty small potatoes considering the discount of a Euro car. The other things (like parts) could be a bigger issue... You might be better of restricting your search to US cars... In 928's that are imported (AFAIK, as in my personal import case) I left the odo alone. It reads in Km's and is the original in the car. I also left my speedo the same, but probably should have had a few mph marks screened on to it in gray... that would have been a good thought and very useful...didn't do that but a friend who imported a '95 GTS did... it was a good idea. I think he still has all the odo in Km's. If I were to have converted to a new miles odo I would probably need to put a sticker or some other note in with the cars records to show this was not the original odo and that the miles are incorrect or not as stated... or whatever the title says about that.

Good luck with your search for the right F-car.

4. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    1. You should get the EPA and DOT (NHTSA) paperwork with the car. The conversion has to be done right and a dealer can't import the car. A gray market car can only be imported by an authorized importer. They have to post a big bond while doing the conversion. The bond is released once the conversion is inspected and approved by the EPA & DOT. SO, if you have the paperwork you are good to go.

2. Some convert to miles other don't. The change in the odo isn't mandatory. My car is in miles but some are in Km.

3. Remotes are available from any Ferrari dealer and are only sold in sets of 3 (1 red, 2 black). When you order just be sure that they order the right parts, tell them that it is a euro so they can check the part number on your fob. Otherwise they are pretty easy to work with.

As for parts, there are some subtle differences but nothing too serious. Some, like the fobs, use a different frequency or other small variation. There are some differences like the front bumper have headlight washers and the read has a different license plate shape; there is also an extra switch on the left lower dash. Most other differences are programming and electrical parts. Tell the parts guy you have a euro and ask if there are any differences, they have always been helpful.

Most conversions are 49 state so there is additional hurdles to get them CA legal. You can search for my thread on the subject, the process sounds worse than it really is.

Good Luck

5. Matt Andrews

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    #5 Matt Andrews, Jan 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
    Thanks Skid. I'll search for your thread, but if you wouldn't mind, would you post a link? And while you are right, a dealer can't import a car - but they can resell one that was brought in without completely jumping through all the right hoops. I can point to several non ferrari's that somehow have US titles, but they are not completely US legal. So your advice about asking for the NHSTA paperwork is good. Should all properly imported cars have a Ferrari US vin? Or is it a VIN like the kit cars get?

To the others, and future posters - can you please specifically confirm if you have a euro car or not? I don't doubt that non owners may have good info, but I am trying to determine "fact" and personal experience from "heard on another forum".

And yes, I know euro cars resell for cheaper. But it is interesting to see that some euro cars are more complete than older US ones. There is a red one on ebay currently where the private party was very detailed about books, records, keys, service bulletins, etc. I have just discovered that most US cheap 360s are cheap for a reason. Many are thrashed. So lookingto expand my search to other well taken care of cars.

Matt

6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Euro Ferrari's still have the VIN from location of delivery. Generally you will see a B in the 8th character but there are others possible I just haven't ever seen one. A US car has an A in the 8th character of the VIN.

A car that is CA legal should fetch a little more money than a 49 state car. To be 50 states it has to clear the original smog requirements for CA (extensive testing). Once this is done it is the same as any other car. There won't be many that are CA legal and it will get more and more difficult as time goes on. This should help CA legal euros when you consider long term pricing.

I will for my post and provide a link. I have made several other posts about euros too. Some of those outline differences between the US and euro cars; not an all inclusive list though.

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    When I contacted my insurance company about insuring my F430, they specifically asked if me it was gray market car or US spec. I said it was US and I asked why. They said the rates for gray market were substantially higher.

Other owners have said there is no difference in insurance rates between gray market and US spec cars. What I would do to be safe is to contact your insurer in advance and ask if there is an issue. It's always wise to ask first.

8. Matt Andrews

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    #8 Matt Andrews, Jan 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
    Here's another part of questions:

1 - on your euro cars, how is distance recorded on the title? in Km? or Miles? I am looking at a car that has a display in miles, but the title is claimed to be in Km. He signed an doc when he bought the car requesting for this to remain this way. I'm uncertain how this could continue without the title ending up as "mileage unknown" the next time it goes in for an inspection. Sorry for asking this again, but its kind of important.

2 - how do you know if the CAM Variator recall has been completed on a car? As a Euro car, it isn't recorded in Ferrari's system. I have heard that there is a painted stamp that is put on the car when it is done? The car I am looking at has a full history from import up until now. This is the only thing which he doesn't have record of. His mechanic opened up the car and told him he didn't need the replacement, so he didn't get it. I don't know what that means, and he didn't really either. Car was built Dec 23rd of 1999.

FWIW, this is a 49 state car, and the Amerispec import warranty is still good for another year.

thanks again for your help.
    Matt

9. Matt Andrews

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    thinking maybe I wasn't clear enough on the title question. Skid I know you said how it effected your car. What I am wondering is if it is common for a car to have a title in KM, but a car that is showing miles? I could see title issues if a smog shop accidentally entered the numbers wrong...

10. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    1. My car is in miles and so it the title. Don't know how most others are so I will let them answer. Have you called the DMV and asked? They can probably give you some guidance. Or you can look on the DMV's web site, they have pretty good FAQs.

2. This is more tricky. Variators were a campaign not a recall so FNA isn't legally obligated to do the fix for free and won't do the fix for free on a euro. If the variators were changed there should be a stamp (VD) on the head. I think RayJohn posted some pics of where it is located. I took some pictures of my car and couldn't find the stamp. You can also tell when you are changing timing belts because there should be a green dot (as I recall) on the variator.

If they check the computers it won't show campaigns for a euro, because FNA doesn't track euros. The problem is that they will tell you that the update isn't required because it isn't shown in the computer. To know for sure you have to check OR have a service showing that it is OK or completed.

IF the update was performed you should have the records. It would have been done when a belt service was performed so read through the service records. You can also look for the VD stamp on the heads. For a Spider you will probably want a digital camera to reach in there and get some pictures. The alternative is to discount it into the price and wait for a belt service and have it checked by a good independent who knows what he is looking for. OK a dealer is fine too IF they will put in writing that the variators are updated.

3. I skipped the insurance issue but I didn't experience what was described, I use State Farm. I told them it was a gray market car so I had to provide copies of the documentation from EPA & NHTSA. From there they were good to go and issued insurance. I have 250/500 with 1000 deductible and I pay about $900 per year.

One note, I had to go back after they issued the documentation to me and have them correct the VIN. Their system didn't like the euro VIN so it was wrong the first time through and the local agent can't change it themselves. They have to get the corporate office to make the change. Not big problem but keep an eye out for this.

Yes, I called before I bought the car and talked to my insurance guy. It make the process easy and I knew what I was getting into.

11. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    I always heard Euro cars are lighter and may have more HP. Sounds good to me.