Any experience with Hooked on Driving? | FerrariChat

Any experience with Hooked on Driving?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Bleu Omdurman, Nov 19, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bleu Omdurman

Bleu Omdurman Karting

Dec 3, 2006
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    #1 Bleu Omdurman, Nov 19, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
    Hey everyone,

I just wondered if anyone had any experience with Hooked on Driving? I am curious about there business model as the nearest one to me is about 8 hours from my Seattle home so I have never done an event with them. What did you like them and why? What did you not like?

If you work or instruct/coach with them I'd also be interested in your thoughts from the inside looking out.

If you'd rather not post up negative comments, feel free to PM me. I am trying to decide if I should invest in the company or got it alone.

Cheers,

Trevor

2. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Trevor, my understanding is that they are regionally based in the West and really do not have a nationwide presence. I've seen the DVD's and magazine (which I have not seen recently) and I understand they have or had some minor sponsorship from Shell and others to underwrite their videos, magazine and training materials.

I would recommend you contact Randy Pobst, who helped make some of their training videos. Randy is a twenty-plus-year professional racer (World Challenge champ) who has the depth and breadth of experience to "peg" that program in the context of schools and business models for this all across the country. He was at the TrackDaze event I worked at VIR over the last two days. His opinion would be a major influence I would use to make that big a decision (invest or new).

As you may know, the key to any program is track availablity. The key is getting dates and the "date equity" that HoD may have could be enough to tip you in that direction in the case that the tracks you want to operate at are not available and HoD has standing dates, which are usually respected from year to year by the tracks.

I can tell you that this market segment is NOT slowing down. There are more and more pro and semi-pro operations springing up, more marque club chapters eager to "print money" operating HPDE's and the major limiting factor is the lack of experienced operating staff and track date availability, not necessarily in that order. TrackTime was the first in 1987, followed by Car Guys, Inc. (now under new ownership) in 1989 and now there are quite a few "pro" and "semi pro" outfits out there, all with their own constituencies. In the East, PDA, Chin Motorsports, TrackDaze, NASA-MA, NASA-SE, FAASST, FChat sponsor *********** and a number of others all vie for dates and dollars of an ever increasing HPDE crowd.

PM me if I can help further.

3. rudyarias

rudyarias Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Naples, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Arias
    #3 rudyarias, Dec 1, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
    I coach/instruct for NASA, HOD, ACNA, PCA, BMWCA, Chin Motorsports and TrackDaze. ProCoach is right on it being a growing market segment. The biggest downside that I've encountered instructing for these events. Is the lack of enforcing their policies on drivers who do not follow the proper safety guidelines on the track. Too many HPDE drivers treat it as racing which usually leads to disaster on the track. The second is the inability to assure that one's insurance company will provide coverage of one's auto if something goes wrong on the track.

4. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    #4 chrismorse, Dec 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Trevor,

Last April, the FCA, Pacific region, had a great track day at Thunderhill. FCA said that it had been running this event for 4 years with HOD and 0 cars have "traded paint". This was very important to me because i cannot afford to track the car if it is going to get banged up.

HOD ran a very smooth event, sticking to the schedule, no mishaps. I am very much looking forward to running again this april at thunderhill and perhaps one or two other venues.

The instructors were very helpfull and readily available.

I cannot fault their performance and whole hartedly recommend them.

hth,
    chris
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14RE458 likes this.
  5. peloton

peloton Karting

Jul 6, 2005
    Ashland, OR
    I've done HOD events numerous times over the past 3 years at Thunderhill, Laguna Seca and Reno/Fernley. I think they run a class operation. PM me with any specific questions.

6. nizam

nizam Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 9, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Ni Zam
    I've run multiple events with HOD.

They are well organized, and they DO enforce their "no racing" mantra over and over again. Their event schedule is always on-time, and they cater for their customers well. HPDE is a good way to get started in non-competitive track events. I also do wheel-to-wheel in other clubs, but when all you want is to have some seat time and some fun, HPDE events like the one organized by HOD is the way to go.

7. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Just ran w HOD yesterday at Homestead Speedway near Miami, had a great time shredding the track

No issues just a good time

8. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    What'd you take, the silver car? :D

9. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    No, thats up in NY

I took my 07 Z06

10. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Sweet!

11. Bleu Omdurman

Bleu Omdurman Karting

Dec 3, 2006
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Thanks for the comments guys. I have done a good bit of research and feel that HOD is the way to go, should I choose to go down this road. I'll probably put some events together on my own for friends etc, but in the near term I've decided against making an investment of my time to build it out in a big way. Things fell through with the I-Bank I was with this summer and I am deep in the search for a new position. Until that aspect of life is wrapped up...

Cheers,

Trevor

12. frankyferrari

frankyferrari Karting

Mar 17, 2007
    Bay Area, california
    Full Name:
    Frank Malek
    I second Nizam's ....

Franky

13. kx5fast

kx5fast Karting

Jul 4, 2005
    Full Name:
    RP
    David Ray, the owner of HOD, is a good friend of mine, so this may sound a bit biased.

Prior to getting back into racing, I was doing a lot of HPDE days (you guys that race, you know the drill). Primary tracks were Pacific Raceways (Seattle WA) Portland International Raceway (Portland OR) and Thunderhill Raceway in Northern CA (Willows).

I have run with every track day group available in our area, and HOD, bar none, is the most professional, well organized of the lot. They demand a high level of consideration for others, they will move you up when necessary, and (as in my case) move you along to W2W racing once you have exhausted all run groups, if you so desire. Class act all the way, and not at all afraid to yank you off track if you are driving over your head.

Check out there website, will give you a feel for their professionalism: http://www.hookedondriving.com/home.cfm

If they have an event in your area, give them a try, best outfit available today.

RP

14. jhsalah

jhsalah Formula 3

Apr 10, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Jawad
    Sorry, no, but Hooked on Phonics didn't really work for me! :D

(Sorry, I just couldn't resist.)

15. birddog

birddog Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Ed
    HOD ran the 2009 FCA National Meet driver's school day and assisted with the rest of the track events. It was run very strictly, professionally, and everyone had a great time and learned a lot. I would highly recommend HOD.

16. speed racer

speed racer Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    Burr Ridge IL.
    Full Name:
    PJ
    Ran my 599 at the FCA2009 @ Elkhart Lake for the 3 days. I have no complaints as to their ability or professionalism.

17. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I run w them in FL a lot

Excellent chapter, laid back and lots of fun

18. cgh1

cgh1 Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Chuck Hawks
    #18 cgh1, Mar 10, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
    FWIW,
    I've been approached by several HOD regions to be a guest presenter, instructor, and coach over the last year and a half and even once about starting my own franchise. For whatever reason, we've never been able to sync up (schedules, etc.) but I have consistently been impressed with those with whom I've spoken and dealt with. They seem to have a solid mission an commitment, as well as gain good reviews from those that I know who have been participants, instructors, etc. in their programs.

Cheers & C U @ d'Track!!
    C

Chuck Hawks,
    Pro-Driver, Coach, Instructor & Facilitator
    DreamsFulfilled, LLC & rEvolution Performance Driving System ©