Any Road Bikers? | FerrariChat

Any Road Bikers?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by fingolfin, Nov 12, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fingolfin

fingolfin Formula 3

Apr 23, 2007
    Are there any road bikers around on the forum? If so, please put some pictures up of your ride. I'll try to get mine on here as soon as possible, I ride a Bianchi 928 (had to keep it Italian).

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    #2 GrigioGuy, Nov 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm just a beginning road rider, but I really like it. There's a great series of roads around here with large paved shoulders which I'm happy with.

Here's the ride, it's a 2007 Fuji in carbon, bought new a few months back for a hell of a discount. It came with clipless pedals, but those freak me out so far so I have flats on it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. fingolfin

fingolfin Formula 3

Apr 23, 2007
    That's great, man. I looked a Fuji when I bought my bike but there weren't any reputable Fuji dealers around so I never got to ride one. As for the clipless pedals, you ought to find a place with nice, soft, grass. Clip in and ride around, then stop and clip out. Do it over and over until it becomes habit, and if you fall in the grass, then no big deal. I think you'll find that they're invaluable once you get used to them.

4. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    crazy roadie here :D

I'm on a Madone 5.5, pics somewhere at
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213209

Bianchi's are definitely cool, a few friends ride them. I've got some Campy on an old steel road bike, older than I think I'd care to say ;)

My next bike'll be Shimano Di2 next year, not sure what frame I'll get - probably another Trek.

You racing fingolfn?

5. fingolfin

fingolfin Formula 3

Apr 23, 2007
    Yeah, I compete for the Vanderbilt Triathlon Team. I decided to get a road bike instead of a full tri-bike because after I graduate I want to get into bike racing, without the other events. How about yourself?

6. fingolfin

fingolfin Formula 3

Apr 23, 2007
    And as far as the campy gruppo goes, I absolutely love it. I thought the fact that you can dump the entire cassette at once was kind of a gimick, but I can't tell you how much I utilize that feature. After cresting a hill it really let's me get the power down a little faster. I also like the fact that the brake lever hoods lay down pretty flat. That way, I'm still in a pretty aero position when I get up on the hoods, as opposed to down on the bar (which I have in a very aggressive stance for triathlon purposes).

7. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

#7 ferraripete, Nov 13, 2008
    my campy dogma fp. i have another campy dogma as well but w/ dura ace cranks instead of the campy carbons. this is the best bik i have ever ridden or raced!

8. CyclingPeaks

CyclingPeaks Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2006
    Big Island, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Hunter Allen
    Started racing when I was 11 in BMX, then MTB, then Road. Was Pro for Navigators back in the mid 90's.
    Still ride tons now, and own a coaching business. We do camps too.
    We should have a Fchat Cycling Camp! Only Ferrari Tifosi!

www.PeaksCoachingGroup.com

Hunter

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Still ride the same Trek 5500 when I competed seriously in 1998-2001. No reason to get a new bike as I don't ride that much anymore. Was mainly a triathlete, but in USCF was Cat. 4 with enough points to go Cat. 3, but I knew the next year I wouldn't train or race as much. Might do a few crits this coming year, DFW is one of the most cycling unfriendly places in the world although some great pros like Lance Armstrong, Chan Mcrae, and Pat McCarty are from here.

10. fingolfin

fingolfin Formula 3

Apr 23, 2007
    Pete, what a beautiful bike. And Hunter, if you get a camp together I would be glad to make the trip to Virginia.

11. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    #11 Schatten, Nov 13, 2008
    Just a hobby cyclist. I dig going on group rides and participate in a few each year. Otherwise, I feel like a kid riding out for a few hours. This is my 80's Schwinn Prologue. (picture taken about a year ago) On rides, I'm one of the few people who have gears on the drops. My mountain bike is a Cannondale hardtail.

12. fingolfin

fingolfin Formula 3

Apr 23, 2007
    Hey man, I completely respect someone who sticks with an old bike. My first couple of races were on a 12 year old Specialized and there is nothing more fun than using something simple to pass someone on a $5K bike.

13. fingolfin

fingolfin Formula 3

Apr 23, 2007
  14. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    That'd be a hoot; although tough to haul a road bike on a spider :(

I always enjoy your articles in Road magazine, one of the best parts of the mag imho

15. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    #15 tjacoby, Nov 13, 2008
  16. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    Looks like a good choice for racing with. I've started riding seriously this year, with a few races so far. A dozen crits, and a half-dozen Masters races (with a 3rd and 6th). I get a bigger kick out of the crits being able to beat the 20 year olds :), the Masters guys are fast but I'm catching up in a hurry. Riding with a coach has made a huge difference, 100x more than any bike could.

I wasn't brave enough to deal with another Italian mechanic, and DA is easiest to get support up here in the boonies. A good friend, with a few Colnago's, has full Record on all his frames - he's aghast that anyone smart enough to own a Ferrari would be clueless enough to ride Trek AND Shimano ;)

17. fingolfin

fingolfin Formula 3

Apr 23, 2007
    I love my bike so far. It is my first road bike so I don't really have anything to compare to other than what i tried out when shopping. I wouldn't mind having the wallet to fund a couple of Colnago's with Record on them, but I'm very lucky to have what I do and am really trying to make myself as good a rider as that bike is made for.

To my knowledge there is nothing wrong at all with a Shimano equipped Trek. As we all know that package has won many a Tour du France lately. Moreover, rider ability counts for way more than a hundred grams here and there, or the sex-appeal of your hardware...which anyone who's tracked their car has probably discovered.

18. fingolfin

fingolfin Formula 3

Apr 23, 2007
    Right now my biggest goal, actually, is to get some coaching on tactics, handling, and other fine points of being a complete cyclist. As a triathlete, I think we have a reputation for being fast but not very refined...the cycling equivalent of a TVR, or something. I really would like to change that about myself.

19. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    Nope, nothing at all - he was just pulling my chain :D

20. veloce92

veloce92 Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2007
    Chapel Hill
    Full Name:
    Aussie
    I´m not a very serious rider, but I do ride a 1980s Jack Taylor bike irregularly with my father. I beleive it is a Super Touring Tandem, but am not 100 percent positive. I´ll email him to see if he has any more info or any pictures. Its a fun bike to ride, but it is one heavy beast. As my last name is also Taylor I often get bike mechanics asking me if I am related to Jack Taylor. The answer: no, I am not, even though that would be very cool. Schatten - no worries! I love having the gears on drops!

21. cat1pro

cat1pro Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2009
    Deerfield Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Alain
    2009 gary fisher rig (its a 29er)
    2007 Cervelo p3c with a zipp disc
    2009 Specialized Tarmac pro with Sram red and zipp 404's
    2007 Specialized Sworks track bike with zipps

I ride over 10000 miles per year on these bikes which is way more than i'm gonna put on my f430. Hey hunter I have three good friends who are also ferrari owners who would probably be in for a ferrari only cycling camp. Maybe a guest appearance by Ivan dominguez? He is a good friend of mine and a major car lover.

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    How do you like the Cervelo? They look like great bikes and if I read article right about 60% of all bikes at Ironman Worlds were a Cervelo.

Do you work full time and just some Cat. 1 stuff on the side? Takes a bunch of effort to maintain the Cat. 1 level.

23. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    #23 WJHMH, Jan 6, 2009
    This is my starter road bike, a 1998 Trek 1220 ZX Easton 54cm that I bought 2 years ago from a friend of mine that manages a bike shop. It maybe not a high dollar bike but it gets the job done until I decide to move up to something better.

24. cat1pro

cat1pro Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2009
    Deerfield Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Alain
    I'm currently a cat 2 but training often to maybe get to cat1 before age takes its toll

25. Pedro

Pedro Karting

Nov 17, 2008
    Full Name:
    P Licious