The official replica/re-creation thread | Page 58 | FerrariChat

The official replica/re-creation thread

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by WILLIAM H, Mar 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Why "of course"? - because the line is NOT blurry; the Breadvan is a piece of Ferrari history, plastic concoctions with OEM Ferrari badges stuck on the nose are not.

As for 1984, it applies very well to the whole question: current "Newspeak" has invented the words continuation, replica and recreation.

2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Yes once I saw it was based ona mondial it went to the between replica to fake ctaegory, the modial drivetrain keeps it out of fake. So it is its own ferrari beast truly a bitsa. Cool car the lotus 211 of ferraris, the factory should make more than a few for real enthusiast track play. Far better and more fun than a scud costs less too if built by factory without need to be streetable. They way to go IMHO.

3. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #1428 Napolis, Dec 29, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2008

The point is the Breadvan is not part of Ferrari History except in the same way Lambo is part of Ferrari History. The Breadvan is a part of History. There's a difference and and so far as I know Enzo did not authorize it or the use of Ferrari badges on it. It was a Ferrari SWB that The Count removed the original body from, moved the engine back further in the chassis and added a non authorized body to.

I Love The Breadvan but so far as I know Ferrari Classiche doesn't.

4. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Jim,

That is what I mean with a blurry line. Not Ferrari history to Ferrari, but certainly to most others. Now, would it be the case that of the Breadvan were to be auctioned, it could not be done in the Maranello event? It appears so, but that makes the rules utterly silly at the same time.
    So, we have to distinguish 2 different sets of rules: those of SpA and those of the car-lovers. I, too, love the breadvan, and to me it is as much a part of Ferrari's history as any other Ferrari, but SpA has to draw a line somewhere, which is not an easy task, even more so since they don't seem to adhere to their own rules.

5. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Tru Dat.

6. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris
    Yes, and it brings us back to what the definition of 'is' is. The value of any truth is related to one's desire to be in the club that puts it forth.

7. mdsaxon

mdsaxon Karting

Sep 18, 2006
    S.W. Florida
    It's back....
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___1963-FERRARI-GTO-SPIDER-1-OF-1-IN-THE-WORLD-COLLECTOR-C_W0QQitemZ250352631627QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20TrucksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item250352631627&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A-1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1308

The most hated thing about this ad is supposed to be one of their selling points...
    "THIS CAR IS ACTUALLY TITLED AS A 1962 FERRARI"
    Someone really needs to get punched in the gut for this thing.
    I want to buy it, dismantle it, sell off the engine and trans and CRUSH everything else.

8. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    That's ONE thing I don't like about it.

The other thing is that it's presented as some sort of "rare collector's item." There's only "one in the world?" Well, good! (Although that's one more than there should be.)

It ought to be represented as what it is: A cheap old Datsun with fancy bodywork that is KIND OF reminiscent of a certain Ferrari. But then they couldn't ask $85k for it.

I don't know why Ferrari doesn't go after these people. They're not selling it, exactly, as an original Ferrari, but they sure are trying to capitalize on the scarcity and value of the marque.

Funny, too: I reported this to eBay under their "replica/counterfeit items" clause, which they claim prohibits such fraud. So now they're back. Guess this sort of misrepresentation is okay with eBay. Caveat emptor.

9. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    This is hardly an unusual occurrence. If you've built a kit car / replica, the easiest way to get it road legal (and I use that term advisedly) is to use the registration documents of an existing car that has been exported or scrapped. I know of at least a dozen P4 replicas (and I'm not talking about Norwood P4's, but 'lesser' marques with not a single Ferrari component on them) registered in such a manner. It's not really an issue until the owner / salesman tries to pass it off as 'the real deal'.

The guy's a 'Power Seller'. eBay look after their own. Go figure. :rolleyes:

10. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    I sent these people a message through eBay asking how they could represent a car that isn't a Ferrari as a Ferrari. Their reply: "No one is trying to sell a counterfit [sp.] The ad clearly states that this is a reproduction."

I beg to disagree. A "reproduction" might be a 250 built on a 250 GTE chassis, at most, or an original car that was up to about 45% destroyed and has been re-built, but a Datsun with fancy bodywork is not a Ferrari. Period.

It's odd how eBay has disregarded my alerts on this car when other "Ferr@ri replica/kit cars" couldn't even use the name or show the unauthorized badging in their listings.

I think it would be awesome if every F-Chatter with an eBay account were to write a message to the company who put up this listing. And if anyone knows how to report trademark violations directly to Ferrari, let's do so!

Fieros and Datsuns mis-labeled as Ferraris should be illegal!

11. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Amazing, a Ferrari replica club.

I have read about these british Daytona's, were they built with Jaguar V-12's? What chassis?

Interesting to see that one of them even has fender badges (shields) on it....talk about posing!

12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I actually visited a workshop building these somewhere southwest of London in 82, have photos, which among others -much more important ones I might add- I will bne posting in the next few months when I have time.

13. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Built from a kit's, produced in the 1980's. EG Autokraft one's had their own spaceframe chassis and Jaguar 5.3L v12 engine and running gear, except the gear box which was usually a BMW 5 speed Manual.

There were two other companies that made them in small numbers, Robin hood which use most of the Jaguar including a modified chassis and produced a almost complete car for the customer just to paint and trim, and Southern Roadcraft which I believe had it's own chassis. They are no longer produced now in the UK but a company in the USA is starting up to build them, possibly with the same moulds?

If you love the Daytona as I do, and you can't afford the real thing, which let's face it most people can't, then these are a good way to get the enjoyment, from being as near to the real thing as possible. At least 4 members of the club have genuine Ferrari's as well including me.

14. fred cat

fred cat Karting
    BANNED

Oct 20, 2007
    Yeah.............What he said.

15. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Those English fake Daytonas look pretty good to my untrained eye from those pics.

How good/bad are they?

16. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Not the worst looking thing I've ever seen.

Nice whip in the background. :D

17. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Agreed, and no Ferrari donated their guts or undepinnings. Looks a lot better than an XJS convertible too, would make a nice daily driver.

18. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Not the worst but not going to fool anyone either.

19. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    I remember seeing that car win Concours d'Elegance in Monterey a few years ago. Hope it was a real one.

20. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    You did NOT see THAT car win at Pebble Beach. The one at Pebble was a REAL one and owned by the late Dr. Williamson. The other REAL one is owned by Ralph Lauren.
    Marcel Massini

21. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    If there was an organized club for the Ferrari replicas there could be some action taken. just one man's opinion tongascrew

22. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Marcel

That one was displayed for sale at the Blackhawk tent at Pebble asking as I remember 975K.

Not of course on the lawn.

Best

23. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    I see that this replica is on eBay again. Evidently, they're going to hold out of the $85k+ price tag - a preposterous amount for a mere Datsun.

The problem I have with this listing is that the dealer is using Ferrari's name to sell what is essentially a novelty item on an almost worthless donor car.

If the listing said, "Datsun with body kit reminiscent of a famous Italian supercar," then I wouldn't have an argument with them. But then they wouldn't be able to ask even $10k.