help me understand the point of drifting | Page 2 | FerrariChat

help me understand the point of drifting

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by 308 milano, Jan 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kristian

Kristian Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2008
    Seattle area
    drifting take some talent. :) try it and you will see what I'm saying. especially if you have to maintain a drift through corners or if you're tandem drifting right next to another car. i saw Formula Drift in person this summer and it's a cool sport. the cars are going pretty darn fast while they're drifting too. i think the drivers do it because it's fun and it's a car control challenge. a former rally driver Tanner Foust was competing in the competition that I saw. here's some photos i took of the event - http://www.flickr.com/photos/apexrally/sets/72157609589523558/ . cheers.

2. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Back in the RWD rallye days, we used to say, "If you're pointed where you're headed, you're too slow." ;)
    Side-sliding a car on dirt, gravel, or snow can be a blast. And it doesn't destroy the tires.

Smoking the tires on pavement is just to make heap big smoke? ;)
    +1 on "performance art", rather than "sport".

Aha! That's why they're not out in the dirt. The high school girls can't get out of town to watch it. :D

3. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I saw drifiting first hand at Miller Motorsports Park in Utah. It was at GT Live and was pretty interesting. I've watched drifting here and there and I love Japanese cars to death but I just can't get into it. To me it's sort of like pro wrestling. It's a great spectacle, does take skill, but at the end of the day not a real sport to me. But to each his own.

4. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The point is it filled 10 minutes of airtime on Speed.

So for all intents and purposes it's officially a sport.

5. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    As others have said, it's not meant to be any form of racing, but to be a show. I really enjoy watching it, and respect the skills of those drivers. I mean, anyone can hold a little oversteer at 30 mph for a few seconds, but what those guys do (sliding around turns continuously at 70+ mph) is in a different league.

6. fred cat

fred cat Karting
    BANNED

Oct 20, 2007
    It`s a "sport" much like skate boarding. Gives ugly kids a place to be with their own.

7. Page7

Page7 Rookie

Feb 9, 2006
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Zach
  8. big.bryant

big.bryant Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2008
    Boulder, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bryant
    its a ton of fun IMHO... sport, eh maybe but in a snow covered parking lot, hell yeah :D

9. deluboz

deluboz Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2008
    Plano,Texas
    Full Name:
    John C. Lin
    Definitely save tons of tire threads by Drifting in Snow, too bad I'm in Texas :(

10. ZUL8TR

ZUL8TR Formula 3

Feb 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    While not interested in drifting, I do appreciate their car control and if I am to be honest, I wouldn't mind giving it a try sometime for grins and giggles. Only things that hold me back the lack of a legal place to try and the cost of tires. I buy my own tires.

Many years ago I had a Subaru and lived out west. I would take the Subie off onto the dirt and gravel roads in Nevada and go for it...2 and 4 wheel drift through the corners. It was a lot of fun. Now, I find it fun to slide the pickup around in a deserted, snow covered parking lot.

11. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    you can buy semi worn tyres cheaply. A couple of my friends in the UK drift and normally buy their tires for around £5-10 a pop.

12. big.bryant

big.bryant Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2008
    Boulder, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bryant
    yea if you know where to look there are places you can find cheap(er) already worn tires, sure you have to have some extra rims laying around but a quick search on craigslist prob will do you good....

13. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    I prefer the Japanese high-speed, mountain togue style of drifting to the westernized parking lot based, slow, smoke heavy version.