Dealer Story - thoughts? | FerrariChat

Dealer Story - thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by 76Steel, Jan 13, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #1 76Steel, Jan 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
    So, I have decided to look for a nice pre-owned luxury sedan, yes you read that right ... 4 door, nice car. We are getting rid of my wife's Toyota Celica, maybe its a good time to trade up to a nice family car. Don't worry I'm keeping my carbed 308.

So, I contact a dealership through cars.com e-mail system and get a call back from the sales rep. Mind you the car is priced well and the rep starts off really nice when I explain to him politely that it is important for me to feel good not only about the car, but also feel good about the place that sells me the car. Yes, sure ... no problem. So, when do you want to come in to see the car you are looking at? I say how about tomorrow at noon. Ok, simple enough.

Today I show up and the rep shows me the car and just leaves me alone with it for 15 minutes. I do my usual routine - look all around, lights, engine look over, listen, etc, etc .... I tell the rep that I am interested and I'd like to talk with my insurance company and make 2 other calls. I get into my car and I see panic in his eyes. I once again say, I'm going to make some calls and I'm not leaving - I'll walk into the office to see you when I'm done. He answers - ok, great - and continues - you know you can drive the car home today if you want, just wire over the money, we do the deal today and off you go. (I'm not financing). Now, I do plenty of crazy things in my life (like owning a 30year old ferrari, ha, ha), but this is even before I drove the car that I'm interested in - sorry, I won't be wiring you 20K, just like that Mr. Sales rep. Mind you the car is less then $20K, but since its a high end luxury car - its expensive to keep. I feel priviledged to even be able to work in this territory.

I call my insurance and they are up-dating their systems, so I can not get a specific monetary premium quote and although the car is very clean and I do honestly like it - I go Mr. Sales rep, I am going to think on this, gimme final numbers, so I know and I'll be back within 2 days to purchase I belive. So, his response starts that why don't I leave $500 bucks deposit and if my insurance rates are too high, or for any other reason - I can get my money refunded w/o any problems if I back out of the deal. He says the cars are going like hot cakes. You never know when thi sone will sell. Hmm ... Really?

I told him that I'll think this through and come back after having lunch. I went home. I could not think pressured. I thought about it on my way home. I call him later and say (maybe this is foolish of me), but here is my CC #, take the $500 and I'll bring the rest when I pick up the car. Just please know, that 1). I want to drive the car with you to actually test drive it and 2). I still have to talk w. my insurance company. So ......... then starts the not great part - he says in rather rude tone of voice "why don't I talk to the insurance company first & then to call him back. How the dealership does not make money on deposits, and the fact that he told me that the car will need an alignment ..... so, I can test drive it, but that's the only thing, so this should be a done deal. He seemed impatient and ticked off. Then he says if the car's engine blows up while we test drive it, then I can have my deposit back" ..... WTF? Am I crazy here, or what? I spoke with my insurance and the premium quote is fine with me, but I still have not called back the dealer to speak with the rep. I tol dhim that I woul dcall him back later today - I did not/

The car seems clean, 1 owner Car Fax cleared vehicle that I like ... but, I don't even know .... do I expect too much here.

Thanks everyone. I sincerely appreciate it.
    Mike

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The way the Market is currently, he should be letting YOU hold the $500 to think about it...

It takes all the fun out of the purchase to put all the BS into the equation. Buy one from a private owner in the local newspaper classifieds....LOL!

3. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Tell him to pound sand, and NEVER give cc to dealer without receipt/buyers order. EVER.
    I'll bet there are a few thousand nice cars on market, and you're not in hurry. Good luck. Go CPO if you can.

4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    If you like that car, call the general manager and buy it direct from him. Cut jackass out of the loop

Any late model 4 door is available elsewhere.

5. ferrari sulla pellicola

ferrari sulla pellicola Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2004
    Los angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard
    #5 ferrari sulla pellicola, Jan 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
    i gre up the son of a car dealer...on and off ive sold cars most of my life..once out from dads wing i got smart and moved over to cars i actually have a passion for!!its more likely the guys so frustrated about things in general and the fact you dont need the financial side where they make a bit more off the sale makes him more frustrated!since he failed to see that you actually know what you want,have the means to pay cash and then didnt offer to inquire about the insurance issues himself (in my day that was called customer service)then talks about the alignment thing proves he's a nimrodill bet thats BS!(!!i say go back...find a different salesperson and make the deal!....well actually i would offer a few hun less than the nimrod told you since you had to go thru all this!!!

6. Frari

Frari Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    brisbane australia
    Full Name:
    tony
    I think that if the car suits and is in good order buy it. Have a PPI done first to make sure all is ok. Why does it need an alignment? The PPi will pick up any problems. The salesman is probably under pressure from above and is not thinking clearly besides which he is not selling you the car you are buying it all he needs to do is go along for the ride.

7. Maas

Maas Rookie

Jan 22, 2005
    I manage a higher end dealership, and would have it out with any of my salespeople if they spoke to you like that.

Say goodbye, find yourself another car at another dealer.

If he's treating you like this before the sale, how will he be after??

8. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Guys,

Thanks very much for your kind responses. Its true, I was just about to seriously purchase a car that I have loved for a long time, and yeah, you know ... I am looking for a decent person to deal with. I mean I was there for 45 minutes total looking in/ out of the car and the rep did not even offer a test ride ... I mean are we kidding? I drove 1.5 hrs to see the car, chances are I might have been indeed ready to purchase right there.

Its was one thing to leave the customer to allow him to breathe and think thoughts through and then there is a thing to do as little as possible. I think he thought the car was going to sell itself. And, I think I get the drift of the vibe as well from him. Its the idea that the car is priced lower than all others that seem to be on the market, so you the cutomer should be jumping head first into the deal. Then I realize, that the great deal, plus 4 new tires it needs now after finding out about it - all of the sudden ends up a good deal, but no longer great deal.

Well, thanks guys - I much appreciate the comraderie.

Mike

9. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

You're in an area where there are thousands of used high-end 4 door sedans. In this market I will bet this so called deal will look like an average deal in the next 2 months. I was recently looking at the dealers asking prices for preowned S class and SL Mercedes and 5, 6 and 7 series BMWs and was shocked how many are available and the prices.

10. MikeMac

MikeMac Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yep. I'm looking to sell a 2006 BMW 750 here shortly and the car is only worth mid-30s with 25k on the odo. There are a ton of deals out there for high end cars right now.

11. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    The dealer where I found a Volvo XC90 I was interested in wanted $2k to hold it till the next day for me to get a cashier's check and was weird about me having it looked over by an independent shop. Found out through a couple other dealers in town that they were at the same auction that the car came from and the car had been wrecked.

I think pre-owned cars must be inspected. The Jag I bought a few years ago had a clean carfax but had been in two wrecks, repairs were paid in cash and it was never reported to the insurance company. I'm told this is where carfax gets their info.

12. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #12 76Steel, Jan 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
    Agree with you guys above - lots of deals here in NJ, pretty much around every corner for luxury vehicles ... Dealers what can you say - you call up, show up on time, have funds and the dealer offers no warranty and still acts like you owe them something, ha ha .... amazing. Not all dealers are the same I'm sure, but the ones that are this way - just de-flate the whole experience. And, I don't care that I am not buying a new expensive vehicle - I want to enjoy the new ride, period. So if I purchase from a dealer, call me crazy ... I will make sure that it is one that will make my car buying experience fun and exciting. This should be a basic rule of customer appreciation and not so much a perk, ha ha.

13. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil

First off, the tail end of the conversation with the rep is all up to tone and pitch, if you thought he was being pissy he might have been but why? He had you "on the hook" there was no reason to try and upset you, that strikes me as odd. Second, him asking for the $500 deposit is a way to lock down a sale. If you leave a deposit, it confirms for you and the store that you're serious and if you're still looking at other cars, you'll have this one at the top of the list because you dropped cash on a deposit. You'll compare all other cars to this one and that's why you were asked for a deposit. Third, unless you trust the dealership, don't buy from them. I wouldn't buy a dog from a crappy pet store because it might have flees, disease etc. The same goes with car dealerships, after you left, the rep told you the car needed work, for me that's a huge red flag. The second red flag was the attitude from your rep. I would make an appointment with your rep and if the price is $20,000 plus tax I would offer $16,000 and pay tax on the 16. I doubt any car store in the US is selling it's cars like hot cakes and if they are is because of the low, low prices. Fourth, get a Pre Purchase Inspection at a dealership who specializes in the make and model, I do it for the cars I buy and I'm a pro at buying used, high end cars. This way you'll know if you can trust the dealership based on the condition of the car. Compare the inspection report with what you've been told and read in the ad. If the inspection finds something along the lines of an oil stain, worn brakes, cheap parts or just a few parts that are nearly worn out, you may want to question the rep but from what I read you might just want to walk out. Calling salesmen on their lies/ misleads / half truths etc is always an uphill battle and you won't feel better after the fact.

There are more than enough pre-owned, high end cars for sale in the US, a dealer may even have one shipped in for you if it suits you. Be strong, you have the cash which the dealers want and they have the cars, which they don't want... you're doing them a favor, don't get jerked around.

14. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    If you don't like the guy, don't buy the car.

He's trying to lock you into a sale. The folks who say "I need to clear it with XX, will be back tomorrow" never come back. He knows that and his manager knows that. Letting you walk off the lot is kissing his sale goodbye.

As someone said above, I don't see any reason why the guy would want to upset you over the phone. It may have just been a misunderstanding, or you didn't hear the right tone or whatever. But if you don't like him, then drop the deal.

15. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Mike -

Where are you in NJ? Also, what car are you looking at?

Maybe it doesn't matter, but at least one prominent dealer in NJ would get my vote - even with used car sales. It's a high end brand too - I take my car there for service.

The car I ended up getting was one I also liked for some time. I ended up getting a sweetheart deal, although not from the dealer I service at - it's just that the dealer I service at is exemplary in terms of what they can offer.