Stolen car...please help | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Stolen car...please help

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Matt LaMotte, Nov 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ALPO

ALPO Formula 3

May 13, 2005
    Annapolis area
    Full Name:
    alpo
    60 Minutes....

I'll be watching on Sunday evenings for your cameo appearance

Sorry for you loss.

Did anything I suggested in the PM or when I called you help?

2. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    ???

3. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    If the notary stamp is fake, then that might be your ticket to getting the police to chase this guy down.
    I think notary fraud is a very serious crime and it might enable the state police, FBI, or your local prosecuter to pursue the case.
    Just a thought.

4. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    I really hate this country sometimes...

someone steals your car and the police dont give a 5hit...

but fake a notary document while stealing the car... and call the FBI!!! America's most wanted!!! He forged an official givenment document...

They take parking tickets more serious than stolen property...

Makes me want to call 911 and ask for a recommendation on a donut shop.

5. Smyrna355Spider

Smyrna355Spider F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    In my Garage
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #130 Smyrna355Spider, Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
    A little harsh Simon! I would like to point out as police if you meet an unknown person (because he used fake id or you only know the name he told you)and sell your car in the city that employs me just what exactly do you suggest we do? Please don't think I am being touchy about it but seriously I can't just run around the country looking for one car. Even if the number on the cell phone gave me a location, if it is not within my state I cannot get justification to go look for it. I am only saying please don't just assume we don't give a ____. Remember we work on tax dollars and as such city officials don't give us the freedom to just followup any crime no matter what the cost. I agree that we should do our best to id the suspect but it sure doesn't mean we are going to be able to stake out his last known address for days on end to find one stolen car. Again, I do honestly wish I could spend all day everyday until we find every criminal in our jurisdiction but the sad fact is even in a suburb of a town like Nashville we get about 10 new cases of Felony crime each week per detective. We try but we sure can't keep up!! Most of us care honestly!!!

6. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    #131 Simon^2, Jan 7, 2009
    with all due respect... I had my car broken into... window smashed... seats burned with cigarette butts while parked on the street. Called the police and was aked what the hell do you expect me to do about it...

I know,... what's the odds of catching the guys right???

Well they are damn near 100% if the police had given a damn... I was parked in front of an ATM with video surveillance. 100% certain the crime was video'd... did they ask to see the tape.... nope. anything i can do to get the tape for you... nope.

you will NEVER convince me that the police are interested in property crimes...

got robbed at gunpoint as a med-student... called the police...
    gave a decent desciption of the guy... jeans... $&# blue hoodie... red sneakers... clean shaven... blah blah blah...
    and was asked the following...
    what kind of gun was it?
    what make?
    what caliber?
    was it a real gun?
    how do you know it was real?
    WAS IT LOADED?
    WTF!!! I don't know it the citizen who's right's the legal system is clearly more interested in protecting than mine is circumcised either...

SORRY,... not indicting any indvidual officer, but actions speak volumes...

7. Smyrna355Spider

Smyrna355Spider F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    In my Garage
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I guess this part of your quote makes it obvious that my point of view is useless to express. Sorry that you have had those experiences! Take care Sir!

8. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    #133 Simon^2, Jan 7, 2009
    Not at all, just won't change my opinion on routine property crimes.

I think you may be misunderstanding my position though...

Do I think police investigate serious/violent crimes 110%... yes
    Do I think we need more police?... not sure, but we certainly don't need less.
    Is there a harder job out their... not for the money...

My real point was the disproportionate reponse that silly crimes get... notary fraud... mail fraud...

No documentation to prove it, but read once (newspaper... NYT IIRC) that the average sentence for mail fraud is longer than the average sentence for murder! IMHO that is screwed up...

I personally know someone who embezzled $40M. got 2 years. I just wonder what he would have gotten if he had forged a notary sig!

9. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    If every police force in the country had this new technology, it might help find some of those stolen cars out there.
    (assuming the criminals haven't swapped the plates yet).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENGY1CD9y_4

10. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Or robbed a bank. Or paid for something with counterfeit money...the system takes care of the big boys...$2,500 in counterfeit money? You're going away pal. We will find you no matter what it takes. $30,000 worth of stolen automobile? Eh..good luck.

RMX

11. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Got a call today from Birmingham Police!!!!.........................................................for them to ask me if I found my car. Uh No sir...did you? It was some different detective from the last who had his big stack of followup calls. I told him about the countless other messages I had left for the detective supposedly assigned to my case and was told that he apologized and was going to hand it off to the next detective. LOL I'm sure things will be totally different this time around.

12. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    any progress?

13. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    You sure are getting the shaft on the whole mess, for your sake I hope all works out for the best.

14. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I know it is too late for this case but if you go to your State's Secretary of State website you should be able to look up Notary info.

15. Nicke

Nicke Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2005
    Hellsinki
    Full Name:
    Nicke Forsell
    Sorry for your loss.

But there is hope. Long story but in short a car was missing, when suddenly a friend calls,
    Friend: Is it still missing?
    Me: Yes!
    F: Well I'm right behind it in a traffic jam!

30min later the car was back and the thief in the police car.

Spread the word!

Let's hope for the best!

16. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Sorry guys....girlfriend stole the laptop for a few days. I'm gathering money for court cost as we speak. The ball is finally going to get rolling hopefully around the 1st. I will keep you posted. I had a pretty good ride home the other night in 11 degree weather on the motorcycle. Whatever doesn't kill you can only make you stronger. This has really been a mindbender but I am never going to give up. Thanks for all the well wishes. You guys rock.

17. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Holy fadoly Matt, I cannot comprehend what you are going through. Any updates to report?

18. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Interesting discovery guys. The name on the notarized stamp is actually a real person and after some investigation through a good friend there are a lot of red flags under the name. I've got her address and whether the insurance decides to man up like they should she will soon be meeting me in court. I searched on the Alabama notary website thinking there was no chance in hell she was real but low and behold she is based out of Birmingham. My thoughts are she is working with whoever has my car and things are about to get interesting. I'm about to try and get back in touch with Bimingham police and my lawyer. The story continues....

19. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Matt, I wish you the best of luck & hope this turns out well for you, but by and large all a notary is responsible for is checking that someone has some form of identification that vaguely verifies who they say they are. If the ID is forged or otherwise fake, the notary isn't particularly on the hook.

20. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

This is going to get interesting, I think. Anxious to see where this all goes.

Please keep us informed.

RMX

21. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    OOooo this is getting exciting! Keep us posted!

22. Mondog1

Mondog1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2006
    Philly burbs
    Full Name:
    Robert
  23. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    ?

24. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    did you find the car?

25. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    I apologize for the delay on the updates guys. I was instructed by my lawyer to go to my local agent and request when they added the inclusion into my policy stating they don't handle a claim when the "owner voluntarily relinquishes the car to someone under a presumed sales agreement". I had already requested the information to the guy out of Birmingham that was originally handling the claim. He told me he couldn't provide it to me and to contact my local agency. I called and that was when the secretary told me that she could not give me that information and that "I should have got that when they renewed my policy and that only old people read those things and that most people throw them away and just keep there insurance cards". So today I actually went down there and the owner of the business who I usually deal with was out to lunch and the only one there was the same lady. I calmly sat down and asked if she knew who I was and reminded her about my case. I politely stated that I understand that there is this clause in my policy and i am simply requesting when it was added. Again she said she didn't know and that it would have been in my policy form whenever they mailed it out.

AAs I have said earlier I am still having to pay these guys my mohtly rate on the car to avoid my bank from having to pick up insurance on the car THAT IS ALREADY STOLEN which totals around 300.00 a month including my motorcycle insurance and my life insurance policy. This lady acted like she could give a crap about my current situation and seemed like I was wasting her time.

I go back to the lawyer on Friday to let him know what's going on. He said I need to have around 400.00 ready for court cost and that we are going to court. I don't know what chance I really have but I have done a lot ofo research online have found cases where people have won against these types of clauses. All I can do now is hope my lawyer can save me on this one.

In the meantime after possibly 8 to 10 calls and a request to speak to a supervisor at the Birmingham police department I was finally able to get a different officer to listen to me. I told her my situation and the fact that I gave this "James" guy 1800.00 along with my car. She decided to give me a smart comment about how that didn't sound right. I have heard plenty of the "you just gave up your car to a stranger" comments from enough people and to a point I did. However with all the "notarized stamped bill of sale" and meeting this guy face to face after 5 or 6 days of being on the phone and him not having the title I honestly didn't see this coming. But anyways...I told the lady on the phone that it was possible that the lady whose name was on the notary was possibly a real person working with the crook that has my car. She said she would research it and contact me. A few days later the original officer who I could not get in contact with since November when this all started called and said he is possibly looking into one guy and is trying to track down the lady who notarized this. He said I may need to come down to Birmingham and look at a few photos of possible suspects. So who knows how hard they are actually looking for the car or what chance they have of finding it. My concern is if they find it what condition it will be in and if I will end up with a car worth who knows what that I still owe $28,000 on. But all I can do is take this day by day.

I appreciate the concern and no matter how this ends up you guys are all great people. Thanks for the concern. Matt