190 mile 348tb for sale | Page 2 | FerrariChat

190 mile 348tb for sale

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ingenere, Jan 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vegas1

vegas1 F1 Rookie

Jul 28, 2004
    Australia
    What criteria or logic do you base that opinion on ?

2. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    I am not sure about the collectability of our 348's and nor do I care at this point, but I will say two things. First is that the car looks very nice. Secondly, 95K is a real push, as Rick says from his comms, it appears that was not really the case.

I can see someone paying 75-80 for such a model type, but not more than that...

MB

3. rimoore

rimoore Formula 3

Nov 18, 2004
    Island in Maine
    Full Name:
    Richard Moore
    It's just my opinion having owned a number of Ferrari's. The 348 is a great car for a Ferrari enthuesiest. It's easy to work on, reliable, and the parts are fairly cheap. I love my 348 and use it as a daily driver. I rarely uncover my 360 as it's a really boring car once you get used to it :). The love I have for my 348 does not cloud my judgement when it comes to collectable Ferraris. To be collectable. The car must have something that put's it apart from the other models of the era. If you line up a 89 328, 360CS, 430 Scuderia, 512M, 512TR, Glass 308, and a 348. The 348 would stick out like a sore thumb as the ugly duckling :). Then again years ago. You couldn't give a Dino away!

4. rllucero

rllucero Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2006
    Santa Fe/San Diego
    Full Name:
    richontravel
    Come on guys, all Ferraris will become collectable at some time. Sure some more than others but with such low production numbers for these cars it just takes time. Yeah for some of us, we may never see some of these models become collectable but eventually they all do. I can remember when I could have bought a Dino for $45K from a local guy and I didn't want anyting to do with a 6-cyl Ferrari. Instead I bought a 328 and had lots of fun with it but look at what happened over time. There is a certain mystic about Ferraris where there will always be car guys that want them.

5. rimoore

rimoore Formula 3

Nov 18, 2004
    Island in Maine
    Full Name:
    Richard Moore
    Let's make this thread sticky for 30 years and see what happends LOL.

6. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
  7. rimoore

rimoore Formula 3

Nov 18, 2004
    Island in Maine
    Full Name:
    Richard Moore
    No way that car is worth 90K. I'd say 80K would be pushing it. It's really hard to speculate but I'm basing my numbers off what a 89 328 with the same mileage would pull.

8. 348guy

348guy Karting

Nov 28, 2007
    Ashburn, VA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Totally disagree. IMO the 348 looks better than all of them. The 360CS isn't bad. But if I was given any of those other cars I'd sell them and buy a 348 on looks alone. Of course I'd change out the stock wheels. Those are nasty. :)

9. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    Almost everyone will think I am way off base here, but I think what will make the 348 a car many want in the future IS the fact that it has the slats and looks somewhat like a "dart" if you will.

It is quite clear (and I had 3FORTY8 drive mine up and down his street so I could see what my car looks like) that when a 348 is approaching you that it is a Ferrari. I could easily see the car following the Dino line, even though Bullfighter will disagree with vigor. I do agree the lines of the 328 line are classic Ferrari, but as somewhat just mentioned, all Ferraris that are easy to work on and look like a Ferrari (see: 3X8) will be great cars for people in the future, so you really can't go wrong. Just buy one and enjoy the ride (and the drive!)

MB

10. Paul S

Paul S Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2006
    Florida
    For a car with 190 miles there seems to be quite a bit of movment in the leather of the drivers seat!!!!!

11. gandalfthegray.

gandalfthegray. Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Pinewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I hope the 360 isn't boring!! :eek: I just bought one and haven't taken delivery yet. But in this market I have a funny feeling I will have my 348 for a very long time. ;)

12. 348guy

348guy Karting

Nov 28, 2007
    Ashburn, VA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Your 348 is a very beautiful example with some real nice upgrades. The good deals people are looking for on a 348 are probably the same good deal you got on your 360.

13. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    Actually, in those Ebay pictures, the drivers seat leather on the bottom portion looks stretched out instead of firm like new. Does anyone else see that?

14. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    LOL! I just said that too!

15. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    Actually, from what I understand about the factory testing, there was probably a fair amount of mileage on the car already (relatively speaking).

16. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I have had 3 new Ferrari's and they came with anything from 30-80 miles on them.

17. gandalfthegray.

gandalfthegray. Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Pinewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yes, you are right.

Last week I posted it on Ebay and had to go out to the garage to get the mileage. I pulled the cover off the car and even in the pale garage lights the paint shown beautifully. I walked around it admiring many of the angles which I really appreciate, the strakes on the door and the way the glass curves in for the air intake.

I pulled the door open and climbed in. I sat in the car for a minute just looking at things. I gripped the wheel and the gear shift and daydreamed of driving some lonely twisty road on a sunny day in Italy. (meanwhile in northern Minnesota we had snow and -22 below!) I took the mileage down on the paper and for the first time since the search for a newer Ferrari began I started to have second thoughts. What am I doing I thought? After covering the car up and shutting the lights out I walked back into the house. I somehow felt as if I had betrayed a friend. I really hope I'm doing the right thing!

I have to say that if the car doesn't sell (and it most likely wont) I won't be all that disappointed. Now that's not being financially responsible but...... :)

18. lxc24

lxc24 Karting

Sep 24, 2004
    Carlisle, PA
    Full Name:
    Lance Cole
    For what it's worth, I am very familiar with this car. I tried to buy it from the prior owner in the Philadelphia, PA area a couple of years ago for $75k, when it was represented to me as having had a recent major service with cam belts. I had a PPI done, which confirmed the mileage and condition, but it had not had a major (and never had had one, over 15 years after leaving the factory). The owner refused to adjust the price or contribute to the cost of a service, so I declined to buy the car. I learned that he then had it serviced and continued to try to sell it. I then saw that it sold for $75k (plus a 10% buyer's premium, for a total of $82,500 at the August 2008 Gooding & Company auction at Pebble Beach (lot number 159 here: http://www.goodingco.com/auctions/results/pebble08/). It was then advertised in AutoWeek last fall for $105k (if I'm remembering the number correctly) or best offer. I called the seller and he confirmed that he had bought it at the Pebble Beach auction and offered it to me at $82,500. I thought it over, but decided I wasn't willing to go over $75k, even knowing the car had been serviced. I then watched the auction on eBay discussed above in this thread and was quite surprised to see that the car reportedly sold for $95,100.

If anyone knows whether the eBay price is real or not, please let the rest of us know. With what the economy is doing this may be the high water mark for the sale of a used 348 (even one that basically has never been driven).

19. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    Lets wait a month, then do a carfax and see if title changed. If it did, then we know the car was sold to the bidder on eBay.
    Carfax usually reports new owners.
    It's one of the things carfax gets right :)

20. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
    No way...I think I saw some dust on it.

I'll give 'em $45K

21. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #47 Bullfighter, Jan 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
    I disgree with vigor. I think they banished the curves after the 328. But I'll concede that a 348 is hard to mistake for anything but a Ferrari. And I'm an '80s child, raised on strakes and grilles -- which was totally uncomfortable -- so I have some love for 348s and TRs.

The problem with the car in question, assuming it really hasn't had a major in 15 years, is that you can't drive it without putting five figures into a service and updates and destroying its odometer-based value. You're left to justify a 348 as an investment, and even if fetches all the money - $80K or whatever - it originally sold for over $100K new, in 1990 dollars, and would have to set a record for 348 prices now. So, it's a bad investment that you can't drive.

22. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    #48 gothspeed, Jan 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    +10,000

I agree with vigor that post 328 ...... the 348 lost some curves ...................... though I am happy that somehow the 355 resembles a legendary 308 based Ferrari design ..... :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Nice Goth. I have never noticed that!

24. gf1red

gf1red Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Staten Island N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Mike G.
    184 miles, the car must have the original gas in it. The question is after you buy it what do you do with it. If you start driving it you loss 30k immediately. If you just park it then you're just hoping that in 20 yrs you can make money on it. Well it could be worse, you could invest in GM, Ford or Chrysler