French Estate with racetrack ! Need help ! | FerrariChat

French Estate with racetrack ! Need help !

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Impuls2000, Jan 20, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Impuls2000

Impuls2000 Rookie

Jul 23, 2005
    Duesseldorf
    Full Name:
    Maximilian Werner
    In 2004 or 2005 there was an estate for sale in France which had its own 2.5 mile racetrack. Does anyone remember where it was and who offered it.
    I know that it was advertised in Classic and Sportscar ! I would appreciate, if anyone knew and is willing to help.

Thanks alot in advance,

Max

2. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    Surely not Mas-du-Clos

3. Impuls2000

Impuls2000 Rookie

Jul 23, 2005
    Duesseldorf
    Full Name:
    Maximilian Werner
    No it was not Mas du Clos. it was offered by a broker in Classic and Sportscar !

4. toto70_0

toto70_0 F1 Rookie

Sep 14, 2004
    NETHERLANDS
    Contact GTC in Marseille.

5. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Sorry Can't remember the name but Classic and Sportscar also did a feature there driving a Maserati Ghibli Spider, maybe worth contacting the magazine itself.

6. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Could it have been estate of Jack Setton?

7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #7 Nembo1777, Jan 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
    There are/were three private tracks in France:

Le Mas du Clos in St Avit de Tardes in La Creuse, central France. A very nice course laid out in order not to strain brakes too much, a good idea considering older Ferrari brakes. This remains in the Bardinon family and is on the grounds of their chateau.

The private track of Jacky Setton, which I visited in the late 1980's is/was about 30 minutes west of Paris beyond Versailles Satory. It was also on the grounds of a castle, a very impressive one. Near the track was the barn which contained what was a fabulous collection including the one off 212E Montagna, one of my favorites.

This collection was shown in a number of articles and was the subject of a book.

Setton then decided to sell everything to sail the world in a fabulous specially made sailboat.
    The reason why I write is/was is that if you find his chateau on google earth (which I did one day by instinct knowing that area fairly well) the track has been covered by grass but the image is unclear: actual covering of the tarmac or is it just photoshopped?

The third track, which is the one you are referring to is in the southern half of the country, not by the riviera but somewhere near Avignon and is called le circuit du grand Sambuc

http://www.pilotedudimanche.net/circuit-automobile-grand-sambuc.html

8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    It is near aix en Provence actually.

If you want to locate it on via michelin.com and then get a satelite view (haven't had time to try)

Enter this address

Chemin départemental 11
    13126 Vauvenargues

in

www.viamichelin.com

You can choose English as the language if you wish.

best regards,

Marc

9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hah! Max! I had not even paid attention to who was asking: Ich hoffe das hilft dich! Yep I should stick to English, let me know if you need more info.

best regards,

Marc

10. ecurienationalebelge

Mar 17, 2005
    I rember the ad pretty well, not 100% sure but I think the agent was EMILE GARCIN,
    I should have a look in my old magazines, hope this help.
    Cheers.

11. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    there is a new edition of classic and sportscar - a summary of the italian car tests from the last years. included is a report of a maserati ghibli with pics from the french estate/track. i think the magazine is still available. i bought mine at goodwood FOS 2008. will have a look, if i can find out, who was selling the estate.

12. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    The Circuit in the article is Le Grand Sambuc and the agent was Emile Garcin.

http://www.circuit-sambuc-auto.com/index-gb.htm

13. BB512 1980

BB512 1980 Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2008
    AIX-EN-PROVENCE - F
    Full Name:
    Pascal
    The estate is for sale for 10 years now.

It's owned by a very wellknown family downthere : the Fraissinet.

If it could be of any SERIOUS ONLY help, I can put you in touch with the owner.

I'm regularly on this track that is only 18 km from me.

But a question, did you hear about the price ?

14. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
  15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Intersting thank you: the circuit used ot be on the grass in the meadow amidst the trees upper right. In the photo I saw last year you could se the contour of the track even though it was all green: as I wrote, it was perhaps photoshopeed. Now it appears that the circuit is genuinely gone, as with the old long Hockenheim for example.

If you want a google earth challenge try to find the Bamford estate in Staffordhire UK: the one with the circuit aroind the lake on which Alain de Cadenet did much of those videos: hard to find but very interesting!

16. mdsaxon

mdsaxon Karting

Sep 18, 2006
    S.W. Florida
  17. BB512 1980

BB512 1980 Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2008
    AIX-EN-PROVENCE - F
    Full Name:
    Pascal
  18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
  19. Donald H.

Donald H. Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2009
    There is one other trackestate and one of the most important collections of great Ferrari's,there as well. But would need 60-70 million U.S.

20. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    The same limitations that closed down the Mas-du-Clos must also apply to these other private circuits, hence they must be unusable.

21. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #23 Nembo1777, Jan 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
    Donald H: you can only be referring to the Mas du Clos of Pierre Bardinon which has been discussed here already.

Stratos: on the topic of Mas du Clos here is the petition which can only help. If any of you are interested but don't speak French it is simply a petition of support for the reopening of the circuit, you can fill in your name at the bottom and click on the icon: it means you are signing in your own name.

http://www.pilotedudimanche.net/petition-mas-du-clos.html

Regarding le Grand Sambuc: one of the reasons it may not have sold for 10 years is that the terrain being what it is (rocky and steep) they have only been able to make a very small short tight and uninteresting track: it would have to be expanded but that would be very costly.

22. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Thanks for that link. Signed the petition, it is actually quite absurd.

23. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Well done Jack!