2002 360 Smokes white on startup | FerrariChat

2002 360 Smokes white on startup

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by gearjam, Sep 21, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gearjam

gearjam Rookie

Apr 17, 2007
    Have an 11,000 miles 360 Modena that smokes white smoke out the exhaust on hot start after sitting for about 20 minutes.Sure seems like oil smoke to me and goes away in about 20 seconds. Oil level is ok and it runs fine. Any ideas???????????????????

2. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Did you check your oil level with the engine hot and running, or when the engine was cold and off?

Do you see any sort of rainbow film or oil on top of your coolant?

Do you see any water or "milk" in your oil?

3. gearjam

gearjam Rookie

Apr 17, 2007
    Oil was checked when hot and is only up to the lower hole on dipstick. Coolant looks fine and no coolant in the oil. Smoke doesn't smell like coolant and doesn't mis on startup. Do these engines have any problems valve seals?

4. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Isn't that pretty normal? Sounds to me like water that has condensed in the exhaust system being blown off.

5. ROLOcr

ROLOcr Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Costa Rica
    Full Name:
    ROLO
    i'm having the same problem, i think oils creeps down into the combustion chamber thru the valve guides , maybe faulty seals.

has anyone had this same problem and got around to fix it???

Rolo

6. incautious

incautious Rookie

Sep 6, 2008
    White smoke =water Blue smoke= oil Black smoke= fuel

7. ROLOcr

ROLOcr Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Costa Rica
    Full Name:
    ROLO
    white smoke, oil

8. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    White smoke is water. But your problem does sound like bad valve seals. If it's the exhaust ones that'r leaking, the guides are probably out of spec.

9. ROLOcr

ROLOcr Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Costa Rica
    Full Name:
    ROLO
    well , sorry for being stuborn but, most likely has either bad guides or valves and it is burning oil and i see white smoke, not blue

10. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    +1

11. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    "Hot" as in immediately after shutting of the engine...or a few minutes after shutting off the engine?

12. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    To get a good oil level reading on a 360 the engine has to be running.

13. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    Not that I condone sniffing exhaust for an extended period, but usually oil burning can be smelled. Sometimes, if bad, water / coolant can be smelled.

Blue (whiteish) = oil, white (very white) = water

James in Denver

14. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    White smoke, blue smoke, oil can do either, white does not always mean water. If you dump in enough oil it blows out white. Dont believe it? Watch an aerobatic stunt plane when they turn on smoke and see what color it is. Thats not pure white steam coming out of them, its oil smoke.

Oil is generally blue when its burned in small amounts, but if a bunch runs down the guides after shut down, and you restart it shortly after when its still hot, they will blow pure white smoke if theres enough of it.

An engine wont usually make steam until after the engine has ran a bit and started heating the manifold, usually at least 30 seconds or so even with a hot engine, whereas oil will combust immediately. And if it was leaking water internally, enough to steam for 20 seconds after startup, it probably wouldnt stop steaming and you would be noticing a loss of coolant at the reservoir and most likely it would be running hot. If its not showing coolant loss at the reservoir and isnt running hot, its most likely oil.

15. ROLOcr

ROLOcr Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Costa Rica
    Full Name:
    ROLO
    thanks
    it IS burning oil, alo of people just google up "engine white smoke" and it says that it is coolant. white smoke can be oil and most of the times it actually is. Just drive behind a V12 pre 70s ferrari with out valve seals and you'll see white smoke,

on my case,coolant can't come from the valve guides.

we are not gonna fix it yet, it is too little the amount of smoke for the amount of work. car has over 40K km

16. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    #16 mrpcar, Jan 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
    If this happens only when engine is hot could be a drippy injector, could cause white smoke just like that.

17. walterlizard

walterlizard Rookie

Mar 27, 2014
    I just got the same problem. Only when the engine has been sitting for about 20 minutes or so. Has anyone discovered exactly what this problem is?