buy 430 Scuderia now or wait? | FerrariChat

buy 430 Scuderia now or wait?

Discussion in '360/430' started by ferrariluk, Jan 24, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrariluk

ferrariluk Formula Junior

Apr 5, 2006
    Buy 430 Scuderia now or wait for the F430 replacement?

This car will be a keeper and it is my 1st Ferrari.

Any suggestions?

2. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    No wrong answer. Can prob spec a scud currently... who know's if you'll be able to spec the replacement...

personally, I'd buy a 550. most of the depreciation has occurred...

3. ROULEUR

ROULEUR Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Atlanta, Ga
    Full Name:
    Chris C
    Good possibility, that in the long run, the Scud will be worth more. Look at CS prices.

4. The Ape

The Ape Formula 3

Feb 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ape
    Wait for the replacement and then decide.

5. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
    worth more?? hmmm

6. shawsan

shawsan Formula 3

Jul 2, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    If you'd owned a few other F cars, you'd be relatively informed about model differences, might well buy a 430S and be appy with what you're getting, and keep it. But if a 430S was to be your first Fcar, you might not be so happy with an extreme version of an F car, especially if you're not into visiting the track where the real value-adde of a 430S can only fully be appreciated. The F430 replacement, on the other hand, will be more refined and generally more usable. Finally, I'd venture to say that whatever you buy as your first F car won't be a keeper; most people own them 2-3 years and let them go because they're among the most impractical and least driven cars in the world; others get the bug and want to upgrade or experience variety. Anyway, lots of fun contemplating choices and thinking about thenm is free.

7. GCP

GCP Rookie

Jan 18, 2009
    Columbia, SC, USA
    Full Name:
    Gary C. Pennington
    I am in the same position. Buying my first Ferrari, which is the Scuderia. Local dealer called me with a great opportunity. Seems the guy that ordered the car is not taking it. Cant move his 360CS. Dealer says I was the first guy he called. Right! I am paying MSRP, which may be crazy in this market. I would welcome any comments on pricing. I do love the car. I have owned just about every Porsche, including the latest GT2, and i tell you, the SCUD is an amazing car. Can't wait to get it on the track.

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Enjoy now... worry about later, later (as it may never come).

Besides, the waiting list for the new one will be years long if it's your first.

9. Mark from Ork

Mark from Ork Formula Junior

May 29, 2007
    Miami Biatch
    Well maybe a rare model, but there's no shortage of 360's and 430's out there, and other than the fact that it has two seats, it's no more impractical than any other 2-seater car, other than a 'fear' of driving it and leaving it places. But let the insurance deal with that aspect. I drive it everyday and so what.

10. PogueMoHone

PogueMoHone Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2004
    Obviously not if his first car is a Scuderia.

Check the wholesale numbers so you at least know the potential for a round trip with this car. These cars are not holding MSRP at the moment, but then you probably figured that out since you have been offered one as your first car.

I suggest you call a few wholesalers and tell them you have one for sale, you'll be surprised at what they tell you.

That way you can make an informed decision.

11. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Somehow I doubt we will go back to waiting lists of years any time soon.

But, I would vote for a scud now.. :)

No one has been disappointed with it.

12. Exotic Marques

Exotic Marques Karting
    BANNED

Jan 18, 2009
    Will depend entirely on production numbers and dealer allocations.

13. Tupps11

Tupps11 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2009
    Go for the scud now. U wont be dissapointed. Nobody has till now. Mine should arrive next month. Its also my first F car. Been through 2 lambos already. Figured id try ferrari for a change as id driven my friends scud and loved it.. U should even be able to get a few $k off msrp. I know a couple people who did already. Cash is king nowadays.

Good luck

14. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Scud is a limited production car, the new 430 will depreciate as fast as the old, at some point. So getting the Scud is a great decision from an incredible drive perspective and from a value rentention perspective. We all sell them sooner or later.

15. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    +1.........

16. 430planb

430planb Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Lojanagosin
    scud all the way........... agree with the person before, enjoy now worry later. u wil enjoy the scud that u forget the replacement has come. think about a 360cs and f430 now. i like 360cs better

17. Tupps11

Tupps11 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2009
    Forgot to add 2 important points...

1. Nobody really knows when the 430 replacement is due. It might be up to 1 year away before its even debuted in a car show.

2. I never buy first year production of any new model. It takes about a year to work out all the initial bugs. Ferrari usually get the first owners feedback and fine tune the car.

So either way, if you wait for the replacement, you could be waiting for a long time.

Go for the Scud!

18. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    "car will be a keeper"...... i wish i had a dollar for every time ive heard that from a first time Ferrari owner!!! Once the bug bites....and it bites HARD, it wont take long for your eyes to stray, at every new model rumored in the pipeline!! Dont get me wrong....you'll love whatever car you decide upon, but unless your financial situation allows you to keep adding to your collection, the thought of the next best Ferrari will eventually have you staying awake at night just imagining how good she'd look in your garage!!

good luck and enjoy!!

19. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Just wait and get a F40.

20. thusly

thusly Karting

Or a Carrera GT - very low mile ones seem to be cropping up around $325-350k.

21. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Oh yes but the clutch change in a CGT is scary.

22. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #22 Bullfighter, Jan 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
    It will go down in value over time. How much depends on how many Ferrari produce, and whether the design of the replacement is notably different than the 360/F430 look. But if you look at it as a car, and not an investment, then go for it.

They made approximately 1,300 360 CS, so it's not likely to ever be an investment car. But it will always be a fast, fun one.

Exactly. Remember how long it took Ferrari to solve the cheap sticky plastic problem they had in the 348. And the 355 and 360. And the F430, and 550/575. They are now probably fine-tuning the formula so it can be as durable as the stuff Honda uses in the Civic.

For F430 S money, that's exactly where I would be headed. That's a "keep it forever" car, and you don't have to worry about replacements dimishing the value.

However, I think you could really hurt yourself pushing an F40 to the limits, whereas the F430 has computers and cc brakes to keep you safe. The F40 is a beast. Good write-up in the recent Forza, FYI.

23. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Don't get distracted; go directly for the Scuderia.
    CH

24. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    However, I think you could really hurt yourself pushing an F40 to the limits, whereas the F430 has computers and cc brakes to keep you safe. The F40 is a beast. Good write-up in the recent Forza, FYI.[/QUOTE]

Hey you drive a "baby" F40, I didn't see you buying a modern $60k sport car, lol.

25. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    #25 Tipo815, Jan 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
    I agree with this 100%. A CGT is one of the greatest cars every made IMO. It's in the same class as an Enzo at a fraction of the price. A Scuderia will never compare to a CGT (and I plan to buy a Scuderia).

As for the expensive clutch I agree that it will deter many. However, the car/experience is second to none and if that's the price that must eventually be paid to experience such a spectacular machine - then so be it. It's the best car I own (and that includes comparing it to my F40).