The "NEW" FoW -- When, Who ? | FerrariChat

The "NEW" FoW -- When, Who ?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by mswiek, Jan 27, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mswiek

mswiek Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Does anybody know if the deal transferring ownership of FoW has indeed been completed and when we can expect to see or hear from the new management as to what their vision, plans and approach are going to be ? For whatever reason, right or wrong, they have been pretty anonymous throughout this process. The Ferrari community here needs and expects a responsive authorized dealership that is involved with existing customers, owners, clubs and enthusiasts. The "club" atmosphere that I first encountered under the old management was one of the things that they did right and brought me into the fold. The aberrations of the past few months have been very disappointing. The absence of communication, either direct or indirect, from the new guys has only fed a sense of confusion, apprehension, and mistrust among customers and friends. It would be nice to know when the new management has or will take over, what their plans are, and, heck, WHO they are. Lord knows FoW, for whatever reasons, has lost an all-star cast of people over the last few months or more, and it would be reassuring if we knew who their replacements may be, or, perhaps too much of a hope, that some of the great folks from the previous "administration" may be rejoining the FoW ranks.

2. FCarIdiot

FCarIdiot Rookie

Dec 16, 2008
    I was just there yesterday and Brian had just been let go from the service dept. Very disappointing as he was always a very positive experience at FoW making sure every detail in the service of my car was complete to my expectations. I was advised that the new owner, / prospective owner?, was there at the dealership and they had hopes that the transaction could be completed by the end of next week. They said there were hoping to get an announcement out once the deal is complete. I hope them well.

3. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan

:(

4. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    First post. Welcome! ;)

5. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    - 1000!
    That is sad news indeed.

6. mswiek

mswiek Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Does anybody happen to remember the bumper sticker from the 1960's that read: "What if They Gave a War and Nobody Came ?"

From the tone of what I have seen on my last few visits out there and postings on this site, I wonder how many of the (formerly ?) loyal client base are even interested in receiving an announcement anymore ? This funereal soap opera has gone on too long with no information being provided to inform and assuage the concerns of the folks who write checks to FoW old and new. For the past couple of months or more, all we have seen is the decline and gutting of FoW, with many, if not most, of the folks we trusted, respected, and genuinely liked being forced to leave. And nothing positive coming in to replace them. So, is there anything left that is worth visiting ?

Venting with sarcasm, borne of frustration and disappointment, even if the new guys bring in Michael Schumacher to handle demonstration drives, Ross Brawn to oversee the service department, Jean Todt as general manger, and Enzo himself to greet customers at the door, they might have a hard time rekindling the interest of people who used to be considered "core" customers.

I only hope that the new owners are reading and listening, and are aware of the bitterness and disillusionment that this transition has generated.

Mike

7. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    #7 WCH, Jan 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
    Hey Mike, chill out.

Give Neil a call, he had a post here not too long ago asking everyone to be patient and give the new guys a chance! You know, Neil, La Strada Maestra?

[size=-2]la strada deadendo[/size]

Or call Scott! Scott used to tell me how it bummed him out when people had their cars serviced at a certain well known competitor's shop, instead of FoW, because he thought FoW's guys were pretty good.

[size=-2]um, anyone have a new number for scott?[/size]

OK, sorry, forget Neil and Scott, call Brian! Just the other day Brian told me he was looking forward to the new guys getting started, things settling down. Told me the new guys know what they're doing, things should be really good at FoW!

[size=-2]loyal, eh? we shoot them first[/size]

Well ... then call Ralph, he got us into the whole FoW thing, he knows everybody in DC, he knows the cars, racing, I've bought like ten cars from the guy, he's a friend, call him and get the scoop!

[size=-2]can't come to the phone right now, busy deciding whether he wants a cigarette and a blindfold[/size]

OK, well then whom do we call to get our deposits back?

[size=-2]that guy was fired, too, sorry[/size]

8. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    This is crazy, they might as well tear down the showroom and start over. Is anyone left?

9. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "Is anyone left?"

Stupid question, of course someone is left! Call Linda, the "first part of the week" receptionist, and have her read you the current employee list!

[size=-2]don't speak to anyone but Linda ... when someone answers, ask "is this Linda?" if the person says no, hang up and call back ... this is very important, talk ONLY to Linda[/size]

You know who's a cool guy? Bob McElwee, goes back to the good old Heishman days, when these dealerships were owned by enthusiasts. Ask Bob about his run at a NASCAR career, then ask Bob who the heck else works at FoW.

[size=-2]ask Linda to transfer you to Bob[/size]

Fine. You're pissed off. You're not patient. I get it. Go straight to the top: the GM. I've always had a good relationship with Tam, sure he played the game hard, his job was to make money, not friends. Just call up the GM, tell him you're completely baffled by what's going on and you'd like to know "wtf?"

[size=-2]gotten through to Linda yet? no? call back! keep trying![/size]

10. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    I could go on and on, haven't come close to getting through all the names of the departed, but thought I ought to post, in the interest of fairness, that at least three lifers, Arnie Poundstone (race shop), Glenn Marquis (service) and Mary Curtis (queen), remain at FoW.

11. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I am very saddened to hear they let Brian go. I felt they finally had someone who could take care of things, I would follow Brian as a customer.

So now its Service Adviser number four in just under two years...

-dsd

12. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    #12 WCH, Jan 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
    "So now its Service Adviser number four in just under two years..."

Call Willie! He's great!

[size=-2]sorry couldn't help myself[/size]

I've had Josh, Willie and Brian.

13. GeoMetry

GeoMetry Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2008
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I thought Brian was great, but I also thought Rob was pretty good. Not sure how much of this you blame on the owner and how much you blame on the economy. How many of these people would they have needed to let go even if they didn't sell? Five hundred twenty nine THOUSAND people signed up for first time unemployment assistance last WEEK. The economy is really slowing down.

14. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "How many of these people would they have needed to let go even if they didn't sell?"

Let's ask the bean counters. The accounting department would know!

[size=-2]all of the accounting folks (four, I believe) were fired a couple weeks ago[/size]

15. mswiek

mswiek Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Hey, here's a cost cutting move that can help out in this slowing economy -- replace the entire staff with vending machines ! You want to buy a car, insert credit card, push the button, and out come the keys ! Need a major service ? In goes the credit card and out come the parts. Still working on how to get them installed, though. Hey, it's only an idea, not perfect. Want a test drive ? Buy a ticket and you can ride in the car of your choice on a carousel-type arrangement for 3 minutes. Want a longer ride ? Insert more quarters before the music stops. Or has the music stopped already out there ?

16. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    wow I hadn't realized how far my ties go back with FOW. I remember when Josh had just been hired and drove the truck. Anyone remember old Joe Yuliano, Chris Ford, Kyle and some of the others. I remember Rod Marshall, Ryan Laber (built my Challenge car), Lenny, Richard, Frank Clarke and the rest.

There has been a lot of turn over at FOW through the years but they all seemed to share a sense of passion for their customers and their cars.

17. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "at least three lifers, Arnie Poundstone (race shop), Glenn Marquis (service) and Mary Curtis (queen), remain at FoW"

I forgot Peter Brandt, a great guy who's worked the sytem to find a lot of goodies for me over the years, including what may have been the last "new in the box" F40 driver's seat.

18. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert

They let Peter go?? Great guy, always enjoyed shooting the bull at the parts counter with him and Mike.

Robert

19. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    No, Peter is still there, along with Arnie, Glenn and Mary!

20. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    My Service advisers were Wille (Maserati) and he was spectacular. Josh was very good. Rob, well, I was thrilled that Brian replaced him. Brian was great. He really knew what I wanted and how to take care of me.

I wonder who it will be now?

I did just get a note from Augie. He is at BMW Sterling. I like him a lot.

-dsd

21. BJMoravek

BJMoravek Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    Boondocks, Maryland
    No one better than Brian. I will miss him terribly. Many thanks for all and best of luck dear friend.....

22. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    I'm right there with you. I remember all those guys too. Chris Ford went racing with us once in '97. He was the only guy (including all the other "volunteers" who supposedly *wanted* to be there) to crawl under the car to drain the fuel tank (when Glenn put me in charge of a car, I used this task as a "weed out"...). Worked with Ryan on Jim Kenton's 355CH. Knew Joe from the days when the "race shop" was that long wall on the left as you entered the old service shop. He had great stories to tell.

My first day at FoW as a race team member, I helped push the F50 around in that old, small showroom for the now infamous GTO/F40/F50 photo. Got my picture taken sitting in it, too. Couldn't believe they were actually letting me *touch* one of these cars! But it was 4 or 5 more years before I began to think of the race team as a "long term" activity - just seemed too good to be true!

Ah, the good old days.....

gp

23. mswiek

mswiek Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    It's great hearing about the wonderful people from the "good old days" as it brings back fond memories of my own of a lot of them, and makes me smile at the stories of the times before I discovered the place. I hesitate to name anybody else who was part of the previous great team because each time it seems someone who remains is praised, they get hit by sniper fire and disappear from FoW. But looking forward, has anyone heard or seen anyone from the "new team" who we assume will soon be in place to work with the survivors out there ? The silence surrounding who will be coming in and what their vision for the dealership may be is deafening...and surely not golden.

24. hamdog

hamdog Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2005
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Hamdog
    I haven't had a chance to post much on F-Chat recently with a brand new baby but this specific subject interests me.
    After reading most of the posts related to this topic, I have a slightly different take on the change of ownership.

FOW's failure under the old ownership and management is no surprise to me. The economy is part of the reason why FOW failed during Allie's ownership but it certainly is not the only reason. Outside this forum, I've heard nothing but horror stories about people's experiences with both the sales and the service department; empty promises from sales and overpriced, mediocre service. The owners and upper management lost focus during the boom of the past decade. It was only a matter of time before customers started looking elsewhere.

As a Ferrari and Lamborghini enthusiast, I'm excited about the new ownership and what it may bring to the exotic car community. I hope they listen to customers, improve their service department, and take a more honest approach to selling cars.

PS
    I hope the new ownership does bring back some of the sales and staff members who were affected by this change. I agree that there were some excellent, competent people under the old ownership.

25. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    Hey Mike,
    How are you and how's Pete?
    Cheers,
    Tom