What if the Beatles were Irish? | FerrariChat

What if the Beatles were Irish?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by snj5, Jan 25, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
  2. Mrpbody44

Mrpbody44 F1 Veteran

Jul 5, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Metz
    They would be U2

3. Exact10

Exact10 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 11, 2007
    Pleasanton, CA
    Full Name:
    Annie's Daddy
    Are you seriously comparing the Beatles to U2? Give me a break, how have Bono and his mates changed or even influenced music

As to Irish Beatles, I think you'll find that both Paul McCartney and John Lenon are of Irish decent

4. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Give me U2 over the Beatles anyday, Beatles are way overrated.

5. Exact10

Exact10 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 11, 2007
    Pleasanton, CA
    Full Name:
    Annie's Daddy
    That's hilarious, I've just fallen off my stool..I'll bet you think Morrissey is better than the Rolling Stones too eh?

6. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Me too Malc, never really a Beatles fan, more a Stones person.

What is Morrisey ??????? did'nt they make a pretty poor type of family car???

7. modena

modena F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    +1

8. Exact10

Exact10 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 11, 2007
    Pleasanton, CA
    Full Name:
    Annie's Daddy
    I'm a total Stones fan, I think Mick and the boys are the greatest band the world has known, I've never been a big fan of the Beatles
    But that doesn't blind me to the fact that Bono and his boys are nothing in comparison to the Beatles

9. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The Beatles OVERRATED!?

I can't believe I am hearing this...on the UK section of this forum none the less!

The Beatles are one of the VERY few things that 100% deserves to be #1. I don’t think any band ever in the history -or- future of music can compare.

10. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian
    It might be an age thing. If you're not over 60 you won't have experienced and will therefore be unlikely to understand the impact the Beatles had and how they were at the forefront of massive change, something that has not happened again since. Their music is still played regularly 40 years on, which I'd bet against happening in the case of U2 and most, if not all, musicians of the last 20 - 30 years.

11. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I concur, but I assure you there are younger fans of The Beatles. Hell, I am 23 and have them on vinyl! :)
    My friends- all big fans too.

12. vetconstruction

vetconstruction Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Michael A. Whitlow
    its really funny- I saw the thread and the first thing that popped in my mind was-than they would be U2. It seems that someone has beaten me to the punch. As I write this though-I recently saw U2 in DC and......they actually (U2) rank as one of the worst acts I have ever seen! Don't know if it was the cold but.....BONO sounded awful. Having seen Sir Paul in concert-he was fantastic and on key during the entire concert.

13. vetconstruction

vetconstruction Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Michael A. Whitlow
    I have to agree-His new disk is a bit on the ......I'm Morrissey listen to me , but... the stones-they go out on tour and simply perpetuate a caricature of themselves.

14. HoYin

HoYin Karting

Apr 18, 2006
    HK-Van
    Full Name:
    Allan
    used to always listened to the beatles when i'm in my dad's car, that's when i was 7...loved them ever since...now i'm 27
    co'mon guys...they have fans that screams so loud that they can't even hear their own voice when they perform...

15. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Northern Ireland or Republic of Ireland?

16. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    It's not in my case, I'm 38. Huge fan of most things from the '60ies, Ferraris included. Maybe I'm an old soul...

The Beatles, the Stones and U2 are all mammoths on the popular music scene. But the Beatles are by far the ones that have shown the most growth during their short career. They went from pop ditties and sometimes even plain stupid songs (Obladioblada anyone?) to complex albums with orchestration, ground breaking sound effects and multi-track recording, and original ideas that no-one had even tried before. The Stones have never ventured far out of their comfort zone. U2 is somewhere in between. All three have produced icons of albums (Joshua Tree, Abbey Road, Exile on Main Street and many more). I like all three bands but even if you don't, as far as originality is concerned you have to give the Beatles fair due, particularly if you look at the 1967 - 1970 era which to me is far more interesting than the songs before.

Onno

17. br d

br d Rookie

Jun 27, 2008
    Yeah +1, the Beatles are overrated. With a catalogue as large as theirs there will always be something to like, I think they did make some great music, but not all of it, the majority of there stuff is just tiresome.
    But for really, truly overrated it has to be Lennon. I know he was a product of his time and all that but christ he was such a knob, always dripping on about some ****e or other! I'd take Mcartney any day.

18. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Absolutely, I just cannot figure the Lennon thing out.
    Jazzo's comments make some sense, but I would argue that the Stones had a "style" and follow that style, live they are amazing, even now they manage to raise massive audiences to their gigs, that alone must say something.

19. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Whether or not you like the Beatles' music is a matter of taste but the impact they had on popular music is a matter of record (pun unintended!). As someone else has posted they were innovative and original and a lot of what followed was inspired by them.

I recently came across a Rolling Stone Magazine list of the 500 best songs ever; nearly a quarter of the top 30 were Beatles (or Lennon) songs, U2 didn't have a single song in the top 30. As I said, a matter of taste - but interesting.

20. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Correct, along with your previous post.