Corroding wires in Hawaii | FerrariChat

Corroding wires in Hawaii

Discussion in '206/246' started by gblue, Jan 30, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gblue

gblue Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2005
    Maui Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gregg Blue
    Aloha....

my Dino cut out the other day and it was the male/female wire coming from back of the ignition. The exposed wire was turning green from the humidity.
    Any suggestions on what to spray my connectors with to stop the corrosion? WD-40?"

Mahalo from Maui

206 GT 00350

2. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    GT-40 has worked for me on all kinds of outdoor electricals and electronics. I use it on pool heaters and pumps. The Dino is outside so condensation is a problem. I spray all push-on connectors and multi-pin connectors. Door connectors get wash water too and spraying them keeps windows running at full speed. WD-40 seems to last longer than electronic contact cleaner and is available everywhere. Good stuff.
    John

3. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    This is an interesting post to me because I'll be moving to the Big Island eventually and I'm mulling on the multitude of problems that a poor vintage Ferrari would experience there.

To answer you question: I would replace the mechanical connectors with new connectors and then before you fasten the new connector to the terminal, slather a bit of silicone grease on the terminal. This will minimize the salty air reaching the metal. I prefer silicone grease over an evaporative oil.
    Hope this helps.

4. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott