250 lusso opportunity- not barn find but close | Page 5 | FerrariChat

250 lusso opportunity- not barn find but close

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by jav, Jul 5, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scottmar

scottmar Karting

Sep 11, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Scottmar
    John:
    What a fantastic story. The time you are spending with your son will be unforgettable for him and you. This reminded me of an experience I had as a young man. In the mid seventies when I was in college my dad asked me to fly to NY state from Florida to inspect a 275GTB for possible purchase. I had never even driven a Ferrari before that time. Now I not only was going to have to
    make a sound and thorough inspection of the car, but also not make a fool of myself while driving on the curvy roads and hills, which we did not of course have any experience with in Fla. It was daunting to say the least, but the sound of the car and the total experience stuck with me, and all turned out well as he did purchase the car; it was a fine and dependable Ferrari. Your son will surely have fond memories of this experience.
    On another note, I am looking for a source for the paper filter for the Fispa fuel filter bodies, like you pictured in this thread. If you found a new filter element, can you share the source with me? If you did not purchase a new one, can anyone elese provide a source?
    Thanks,
    Scott

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #102 Napolis, Jan 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
    http://www.alfastop.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdSrch.cgi?model=giulietta&cat=fu&modelMenu=1

3. jav

jav Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    John
    #103 jav, Jan 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
    Scott,

the filter pictured is new and was acquired from http://www.ferrariparts.com in Maine.

If I could share another tid bit I learned... the standard regulator element in that filter assembly may not be fully compatible with ethanol based fuels and should be replaced with one that is. GT car parts in Arizona has the correct ethanol resistant viton (** note not all viton is ethanol safe... ask me how I know).

Thanks for sharing your story.

4. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    John,

If your car was Belgian then here's the contact info:

http://www.ecuriefrancorchamps.com/

Lozenberg 13
    1932 Zaventem
    Belgium

Tel: +32 (0)2 725 65 60
    Fax: +32 (0)2 725 65 60

Good luck.

john

5. scottmar

scottmar Karting

Sep 11, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Scottmar
    John, Jim, thanks for the filter element sources and thanks John for the regulator element information, I would never have even thought of this.
    Scott

6. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    Jav, this is one of the best threads going. Kudos to you and your son for enjoying "the process" of preparing such a beautiful machine for the road. Doing your own work, together, makes driving it all the sweeter!

7. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    congratulations on a wonderful purchase and an even better thread and project

8. Tad Cody

Tad Cody Formula 3

Sep 9, 2006
    Over here!
    Full Name:
    Take a guess...
    Wow! Missed this the first time around, but great story; one we all dream from time to time!
    Congrats on the amazing machine and may she bring you many happy miles!
    -Tad

9. trkevin

trkevin Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    K. Blommaert
    #109 trkevin, Jan 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The above address is not correct anymore!! Early 2008 this building was sold and became a Honda dealer.

See photo from January 2008.

Best regards

-Kevin
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Very Nice!

11. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    You are having too much fun John! :D

Keep it up! Thanks for sharing.

12. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    Looking good. Thanks for the great photos.

13. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Great work John!

14. dkabab

dkabab Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    Full Name:
    David
    wow excellent work, looks like the car went to a very deserving owner. enjoy it!!!!!

15. jav

jav Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    John
    Vasco-

You are so right... much more than this "João" deserves.

16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    +1

Pete

17. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    :)

18. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    Excellent thread!!

19. cabaynes

cabaynes Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I am infinitely jealous!

Best of luck, please keep updating when possible!

20. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Great work!

thanks for sharing.

21. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Fascinating.

Seen that you pulled the rear end apart, are you going to do the same with the gearbox and engine?

This is way better than the American dream: The Italian dream!

22. jav

jav Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    John

Our initial intent was to address just the deferred maintenance, make sure all the mechanical systems were in perfect working order... then enjoy the car. We're finding it very difficult to do "just that". We fix something that really needs it and then that fresh part makes all the neighboring parts look shabby. We're freshening up the entire undercarraige (it really "needs" that) which will dictate replacing all seals. That will very likely require pulling the engine and gearbox.

We did get the engine running and we've already had some of the gearbox apart to address leaks and the shifter bushing but there's still some leaks we need to chase down or our work underneath will have been for not. Most of my cars have had nicer undercarraiges than top sides... I think it's a character flaw but one I can't seem to shake.

23. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    You pre-empted my next comment already, since you had the engine running already. That must have been a great moment.

As to the flaw in your character, I think it should be exemplary to those with trailer queens, who can barely make it onto the lawn under their own steam. The only way to enjoy your Ferrari is when the mechasnicals are in 100% working condition. What good is a car when it can't be driven the way it was intended?

I don't know which feeling is more prevalent: awe or envy!

24. jav

jav Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    John
    #125 jav, Feb 2, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
    Yes and no.

There was so much prep because our main concern was "do no harm". We drained all fluids, pulled the sump cover and valve covers, rotated it by hand numerous times Etc. Once we were convinced she was mechanically intact, we buttoned it up, filled it with new fluids and compression tested. Then changed the plugs, rigged up a temporary fuel supply (since the fuel system was completely off the car) etc.. and finally tried to start her.

We had already rebuilt the carbs and she didn't seem to want to catch when we first cranked her over so we released the key and to our great suprise, she just kept running. It seems that after the carb work, the idle was set too low (about as low as the cranking speed)- so we didn't have that moment of excitement when you realize the engine came back to life.

We brought up the idle and were struck with how tame it sounded. The engine was so silky smooth, even at the low idle, and it sounded great, had no vibration... it was almost too quiet- not what I expected at all. Even the exhaust note was so subdued it was almost a let down. (I'm not sure I can leave the stock exhaust). The good part is that it was running- remarkeably well and all the gauges appeared to be working. The prep and build-up was way more eventful than the actual moment.

Anyway- we let it run for while and evetually the years oil residue burned off and she was reasonably warm. I couldn't resist blipping the throttle and it was at that moment that we couldn't wipe the grin off our faces. Thats when it really hit home. Literally and figuratively!

You see in my moments of bliss sitting behind the wheel watching the tachometer sweep up and down as I blipped the throttle, the orchestra conjurred thoughts of how glorious this cars untold memories must be but at the same time, the years of rust and condensation in the exhaust was exploding onto my freshly painted white garage walls with every glorious exhale! What a freaking, and wonderful, mess with which to be brought back to earth!!