HB 2186 | FerrariChat

HB 2186

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by donv, Feb 6, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    This is pretty sad, really. Especially (d) below. Of course, mostly what it will do is to put Oregon vendors of parts out of business (or make them move to Washington), since I'm sure we'll still be able to mail order parts.

I'd call my State Rep, but I suspect he's strongly in favor.

http://www.leg.state.or.us/09reg/measures/hb2100.dir/hb2186.intro.html

2. BritBlaster

BritBlaster F1 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I think the primary reason for Oregon and California to exist is to grant Washington residents the ability to state "Well, it could be worse!"

3. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    #3 2000 456M, Feb 6, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
    (d) is incredibly vague; very poorly drafted. I would hope that the trade association will get its oar in the water on this one; in case people think that "lobbyist" is a dirty word, they should realize that someone has to be hired who can bring legislators' attention to poorly thought out language in proposed legislation. In theory, under the draft language, DEQ could require every car to have the skinniest possible tires to reduce rolling resistance, braking distances and cornering ability be damned.

4. 503Alex

503Alex Karting

Jan 24, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Alex Krueger
  5. Dave46

Dave46 Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2006
    Central Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Davison
    I'd agree with it being poorly written but unless people rise up to fight it it will probably pass in some form. The thing is you can't write it off as nonsense dreamed up by the bicycle riding flannel and gortex wearing screwballs in downtown Portland.
    By checking the SEMA action network it appears that is something your illustrious governor is pushing http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62515
    It looks like Oregon may not be a friendly place for car enthusiasts in the future if this passes.

6. ALTA ADAM

ALTA ADAM Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2007
    PDX, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Yeah this thing sucks booty! I would like to think this is an honestly stupid write up and not intended to put every aftermarket retailer and mfr. out of business in Oregon. My guys are testifying in front of the committee on Tuesday.

This would kill Napa, Joes, Baxter's, Les Schwab, Big O, GPI Performance, Matrix Integrated and anyone else in Oregon that retails locally. For my company it would seem that we would still be able to exist in Oregon, but would have to ship everything out of state. (Much of our business now is from out of state already, but still!)

I hope enough businesses take notice in time to also appear in person on Tuesday!

7. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    As a former political guy (I worked in DC for Members of Congress), I think you'll see that most of these types of bills will get floated, but eventually they'll be shot down.

The primary problems are:
    -Cost to implement
    -Cost of tax base/jobs
    -Questions of ultimate benefit
    -Legal issues (wording/conflict with national laws and standards, although a recent ruling helps states.)

Washington's official standards actually are "whatever California does". I found that to be absolutely foolish. We have different climates, different geographic and economic challenges.

But back to the point -- don't fret too much when you see bills like this. Most bills never see a vote on the floor, and many (such as the ones always being floated by guys like Rodney Tom up here in WA or the federal crush-your-car-for-$4500-new-car-credit one) are done to provoke dialog and show the base that the leaders are not forgetting what got them elected, rather than being done to actually get passed.

8. F355 Spider

F355 Spider Formula 3

Jun 21, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Sonny
    HMMMMM actually I have to respectfully disagree... I heard that your wonderful Gov is pushing real hard to get Washington state to be the second US state to be accepted into the EU behind California.... Say hello to the Euro...

9. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Wouldn't this bill also effectively outlaw snow tires and chains? Neither will reduce greenhouse gas emissions!

10. ALTA ADAM

ALTA ADAM Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2007
    PDX, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Adam
    OREGON DEQ would be the enforcement body on this law. BUT, they fully admit they have no fine values in mind, money to enforce, date of implication, etc. etc. etc.

But, if we don't take some notice, it would be just my luck that something would sneak through!

11. dcghostrider

dcghostrider Karting

Jun 28, 2006
    It's all about the env$$$$ment right. Personally I feel comfortable having the government watching over us and all that money that will be generated for the good of the planet!!

It's a must we take care of our planet but I also feel it's to much of a one sided opinon from the "Why do you need a Ferrari, Hummer or that bad item group of people".

Why revenue-neutral carbon taxes are essential,
    what's happening now, and how you can help

The Obama Administration and the new Congress are being called upon to address 21st Century climate realities. In a carbon-constrained world, a permanent and increasing U.S. carbon tax is essential to reduce the emissions that are driving global warming.

A carbon tax is a tax on the carbon content of fossil fuels (coal, oil, gas).
    A carbon tax is the most economically efficient means to convey crucial price signals and spur carbon-reducing investment and low-carbon behavior. Our spreadsheet shows how fast emissions will fall.

Carbon taxes should be phased in so businesses and households have time to adapt.

A carbon tax should be revenue-neutral: government can soften the impacts of added costs by paying back the tax revenues ("dividends") or reducing other taxes ("tax-shifting").
    Support for a carbon tax is growing steadily among public officials; economists; scientists; policy experts; business, religious, and environmental leaders; and ordinary citizens.

12. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    With our current liberal administration and liberal H&S here in OR we may see some ultra green legislation like this pass. Current ORS states:

Policy; greenhouse gas emissions reduction goals. (1) The Legislative Assembly declares that it is the policy of this state to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in Oregon pursuant to the following greenhouse gas emissions reduction goals:

(a) By 2010, arrest the growth of Oregon’s greenhouse gas emissions and begin to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

(b) By 2020, achieve greenhouse gas levels that are 10 percent below 1990 levels.

(c) By 2050, achieve greenhouse gas levels that are at least 75 percent below 1990 levels.

(2) The Legislative Assembly declares that it is the policy of this state for state and local governments, businesses, nonprofit organizations and individual residents to prepare for the effects of global warming and by doing so, prevent and reduce the social, economic and environmental effects of global warming.

(3) This section does not create any additional regulatory authority for an agency of the executive department <<<

DEQ could very easily add one of HB 2186's concepts to the vehicle testing that it currently does in the metro area.

I see the bill has had two hearings. I am now listening to the legislative audio archive of the first hearing on this bill on 2-3 and Dave the guv's sustainability "exopert" who I know well and I would tell you I am worried about what he and our guv have in mind for us! They are serious about this stuff. I would encourage any and all of you to sign up and testify against this and the other bills this administration is hoping to pass this session.

13. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    That is not good. Thanks for the info!

14. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    If it wasn't for Washington, Oregon would have the highest min. wage.

15. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Currently DEQ CAN keep you from driving your car if it doesn't meet their standards for emmissions; I am sure the top brass is faunching at the bit to add more regs.

16. MordaloMVD

MordaloMVD F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2005
    WA
    Full Name:
    Michael von Ditter
    So you actually believe the CO2 BS? There is no prove whatever of this theory. More so, it has been debunked over and over.

17. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    How about getting China to pay the cardon tax first. I read that toxins from their outdated dirty coal plants are showing up at Mt. Bachelor. Our forests are dying because the uber liberal enviros have hamstrung the timber managers, now you want me to use more aerodynamic crap on my ranch pickup when will it ever end!

18. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    You mean how fast you can kill small business.

19. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    #20 2000 456M, Feb 12, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
    I think the general discussion belongs in P&R. Let's keep the chat relative to the progress (and hopefully lack thereof) of this particular piece of legislation. Is anyone planning to attend hearings or check with trade associations about strategy to mobilize interested members of the public? (I'm not able, given my employer and job).

20. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I agree about keeping the general discussion in P&R. I will suggest an alternative, though-- if the Governor wants to do something about CO2 emissions, why not raise the gas tax, increasing the state's revenue at the same time?

Seems like a more logical approach than micromanaging car parts. But, of course, the idea of that would make voters unhappy NOW, while the car part thing will make them unhappy later, and the whole thing can be blamed on "bureaucrats at DEQ."

21. 503motoring

503motoring Karting

Mar 13, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Tim
  22. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
  23. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I am sorry but do we really need to increase the amount of highway funds that go towards bike and foot paths? Oregon already spends one percent of every highway dollar on bike lanes. We need to go to Salem and fight this crap!

24. 503motoring

503motoring Karting

Mar 13, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Tim
    +1