Got a parking ticket, sold the car..pay the ticket? | FerrariChat

Got a parking ticket, sold the car..pay the ticket?

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by ZetteOh6, Feb 10, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ZetteOh6

ZetteOh6 Karting

Aug 16, 2007
    New York City
    #1 ZetteOh6, Feb 10, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
    I was just wondering guys, the consequenses for not paying is that they will tow the car if it goes above 350 bucks, and you won't be able to renew the registration. But I don't have the car anymore, sold it a few months back.

I let my cousin borrow the car and he got a ticket, never told me, and now it's in judgment. I'm actually paying it online as I type, but out of curiousity, I was just wondering. It's one of those things that makes you go hmmm.

The only thing I'm thinking is that if I were to go renew the registration on my current car, it might prevent me from doing that. But nowhere on the site does it say this. What do you think?

Also, one more thing: My friend recently bought a car from a third party. He says that he's going to show that he paid $6000 dollars for it. It's a 2004 Infiniti G35 coupe with 58K on it. He bought it for well over that. I told him that they might not believe it and make you pay the tax on it's book value, but he insists that it's none of their business, he has the bill of sale for 6K and is going to stick to that. Good idea, or asking for trouble? He says that's one of the benefits of buying from a third party, and that only if you put it as a gift do they look into the book value of your car and tax you on that. Which is true, but anyway, should I talk him out of it?

2. mkultra

mkultra Formula 3

Nov 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    MK Ultra
    at least here in Illinois (from my understanding), a ticket that goes unpaid is linked to the registered owner. that registered owner could have difficulty renewing a license at a later period if the fee is delinquent for some time and the late fees add up.

3. mcb001982

mcb001982 Karting

Aug 10, 2006
    Manhattan, NY
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    If you're going to use that plate again pay the ticket.

4. MattF NYMC

MattF NYMC Formula 3

Oct 26, 2006
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matt Farah
    If you're going to use the plate again, pay the ticket. Otherwise, forget about it.

As for the bill of sale, it's no ones business at the DMV what you pay for a car, they can only tax you on what the Bill of Sale says

5. s14roller

s14roller Karting

May 3, 2008
    Depends on the state...I would be careful of this.

In NJ, you can have a bill of sale, but depending on how believable the amounts are, they do audits. Yes, to pass the audit you would just need repair bills or signed statements from seller as to why he sold the car that much cheaper, but I think you'll find the seller will be less inclined to sign something like that after the car is already gone and it's clear it's being audited.

I would make it more believable...

6. Intheflesh

Intheflesh Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Salem NH
    Full Name:
    John T
    I just got a notice in the mail from a collection agency about an unpaid parking ticket on a car i dont have anymore. i never used the plate from that car again either. The notice said that failure to pay the ticket will result in a notification to the national credit bureau. So apparently not paying a parking ticket may effect your credit.

7. amslb182

amslb182 Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2004
    Ct
    Full Name:
    Andrew LeGrant
    As far as the car tax, I bought my first car a 2000 maxima in cash from a third party about 3 years ago. When i went to register it (in CT) i was charged book value for taxes, they said that anything newer than 7 or 9 years was based on book value, other than that it was bill of sale. Im sure each state has something similar but id be willing to bet you lunch your friend will have to pay taxes for more than $6000

8. GlobalLambo

GlobalLambo Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2006
    Mineola, NY
    Full Name:
    Seth Rose
    no, no, no Mr. Matt, NYS DMV will absolutely investigate all unreasonable sales prices and they have the right to collect tax based on the book value of the vehicle.

When you register/title a vehicle at NYS DMV they type in the purchase price and it cross references to the book value, if there is a discrepancy it gets tagged for 'TAX AUDIT' it then gets downloaded to the NYS Dept of Taxation & Finance for review.

9. DadsFerrari

DadsFerrari Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    New England
    Full Name:
    Mister M
    gifts or transfers of cars within a family are tax free in MA. Otherwise, 5% sales tax is applied- and they do look at book values, so unless it is a very old car with high miles, they might pester ya.

10. MattF NYMC

MattF NYMC Formula 3

Oct 26, 2006
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matt Farah
    I bought my 1994 Mustang Cobra for $13,000 cash in 1999, and the guy who sold it to me wrote me a bill of sale for $4,500, which I brought to the DMV and wasn't questioned in the least. Maybe it was because I was registering a 5 year old Ford, but I didn't have any problems.

And when you say book, do you mean wholesale book, kelley book? what book do you mean? There are vast discrepancies between wholesale/dealer book value and Kelley Blue Book.

11. mcb001982

mcb001982 Karting

Aug 10, 2006
    Manhattan, NY
    Full Name:
    Matthew

Matt DMV has been changing the way they have been doing things although I have also had a similar transaction as you with no questions asked.... Times are a changing and I know of 1 or 2 states that will make you pay tax on what ever the book (KBB, Nada, Edmunds, ect) value is regardless of what you purchased it for. Only way around it is if it is a gift from a family member.

12. Bavarian Motorist

Bavarian Motorist Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2007
    Westchester/NYC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Don't take short cuts... The $500 or whatever you're saving in sales tax is going to look like peanuts if they come after you.

13. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    I was regaling my friends one evening, a retired Bureau big included, about my successes appealing/beating a dozen NYC parking tickets over the years. Except one that I refused to pay on principle, and I sold that vehicle. He said 'it'll get you. Might be 5yrs. Or 10yrs, or 15yrs, but it'll find its way back to you.' I paid the ticket :)

14. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Can't speak for NYC, but I got caught doing this in NJ. Was forced to prove what I actually paid or pay tax on the NADA estimated value.

15. ZetteOh6

ZetteOh6 Karting

Aug 16, 2007
    New York City
    #15 ZetteOh6, Feb 12, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
    Wow wasn't expecting many replies, this was great information, thanks guys. Here's an update and some insight.

From what I understand, unless it was a moving violation and your DL# was on the ticket, like the yellow ones you get from a cop, you should have no problem registering a new vehicle or renewing your license. Like I did online, I was also asking around at work during lunch, and this one guy told me he had a couple of parking tickets, sold the car, bought a new one, never got anything in the mail once he surrendered the plates. Didn't have a problem registering his new car or anything. Parking tickets are handled by the Dept. of Finance. What you do with them has no effect on things that the DMV handles. If you had a traffic violation, like a seat belt summon, then the DMV would stick it's nose into your business as far as registering/owning/driving a vehicle.

As far as the sales tax thing, my friend actually went yesterday and got everything done, and just to be ****** and showoff to me, he put $4,000! The tax audit thing is right, what they will do is send some sort of letter to the previous owner and question him. They might ask him why was the car sold for so cheap or whatever. He can say that it was in bad shape, needed new leather, bodywork, the economy is tanking, yada yada. He will have to just put yeah whatever and sign the paper. The previous owner, even though he never knew my friend, was a pretty cool dude and said yeah, put whatever, I got you.

Although he was showboating, my boy did say that don't go overboard and put something like 500 bucks. They will look at you like you're retarded. Otherwise, if it's a cash transaction, it really is none of their business how much you paid. They actually asked him if he rendered any "services" in exchange for the difference in price. If he would have said yeah, they would then determine how much that service would go for and tax that! (Like lets say he painted the previous owners house in exchange for the car minus the cash amount paid). She also asked him how come he paid so little, and he said the same thing, needed lots of work but wasn't in an accident and ran fine. She then asked him what will the cost of the work that the car needs will be, approximately. Like she was going to add that amount to the car and then tax that. This actually made me mad for some reason, it's like they're leeches. He just said that he will pay the taxes on the work done when that time comes, that has nothing to do with the price right now. She rolled her eyes and carried on. He was right, I guess you do just have to have some balls and solid comebacks.

So I guess the key here is how cool is the person you're buying from. Some people are just nervous about doing anything hokey pokey and won't cooperate, some will, but really, it's not a big deal however some people are just the nervous type and might not oblige.

Hope this was helpful.

16. ZetteOh6

ZetteOh6 Karting

Aug 16, 2007
    New York City
    #16 ZetteOh6, Feb 12, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2009

Hmm, I gotta tell him about this offer, so when are we meeting up? ;-)

I asked him, why don't they just use the BB value EVERYTIME, instead of playing these games? His reply was, would a dealer offer you a trade in value just by clicking on a few things on a computer? No he wouldn't give you the time of day without looking at the car first. That clerk at the DMV is not going to come to your car and check on the condition of your car. He told me if she wanted to be a smartass, he was ready to give her more crap. She can only go by my the make, model and year of the car, she has nothing else to determine as to why he paid the price he did.

The DMV has this setup so they can catch the dumbasses. Go there with the right gameplan and don't be a dumbass. A dumbass to him would be, heres his example, somebody going there with a 2008 car for $4K saying it needs bodywork and has wear and tear. Well, it must have been in a pretty bad accident for it to need that, why wasn't it written off by the insurance company, etc. How bad can the wear and tear be on a 1-2 year old car? It has mechanical problems, well, isn't it still under warranty? Stuff like that you can use on a 4 year old car like he did.

17. ZetteOh6

ZetteOh6 Karting

Aug 16, 2007
    New York City
    By the way, his car is PRISTINE, lol. It even has many mods. I was trying to hold my laughter when he was putting it down to the clerk.

18. DadsFerrari

DadsFerrari Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    New England
    Full Name:
    Mister M
    IMO, bogus parking tickets is the norm for NYC. If you change your plate, you reduce the chance of getting the boot after $350 in parking fines? I can only speak for a few NE states, but in MA, they peg the registered owner for old parking tickets from any MA town that reports to the DMV... even more amusing is when you find out 14 years after 1994 that you got a parking ticket in a red Saab when you never owned one lol.

At least parking fines dont carry interest, in MA, if you miss an excise bill, they rape you. I heard a story where someone bought a car around Xmas, and got a one week excise bill that was under 10 bucks. They never bothered sending him much notice, so years later it took almost 100 bucks to get it off his record; it showed up as an "excise warrant" on some bored local cops laptop- getting him pulled over and his balls busted :(

19. kenny1022

kenny1022 Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2008
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Unfortunately, I was audited once when purchasing a car from a third party. The price was considerably less than what the car was worth (about 1/3). I received a letter from the DMV saying that the price stated was less than the NADA value and that I owed the difference of the taxes (the amount of taxes based on the NADA value less the amount of taxes I paid). I had two options either pay the difference or contest it by submitting an explanation in the attached form. The seller was not responding to my emails so I wrote that as my explanation and the whole issue was closed.

So, as much as it sucks to get audited, I think sales tax issues at the NJ DMV are pretty benign, nothing to get stresssed out about.

Lastly, I've been using Deer Creek LLC (www.mtvehicles.com) to register my vehicles and avoid paying tax. Deer Creek registers your vehicles in Montana where sales tax is 0%. Once you get your Montana title you register it to yourself in NJ since NJ has a loophole that you don't have to pay taxes on cars you registered in other states.

Hope this helps.

Ken