NEW Paradigm...Let's talk about the GOOD cars that have sold for a FAIR PRICE !! | FerrariChat

NEW Paradigm...Let's talk about the GOOD cars that have sold for a FAIR PRICE !!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JF308, Feb 12, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
    #1 JF308, Feb 12, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
    God, am I friggin' tired of all the threads starting with: WOW ! Ferrari (model xxx) on fleaBay for the new LOW Price !! (no explanation or focus on the history, condition, or needs...just the price).

What the hell is driving this self defeating behavior? Only focusing on low acquisition cost, and not the condition/maintenance needs which will be a given to sort out the hidden gremlins, is absolutely misleading and creating a false sense of the market for the good cars.

Why is everyone on F-Chat seemingly determined to crater the value of the good cars out there. Everytime I see one of these threads, I truly cringe.

They are always the outlier, stories, hidden rust, need a major, or salvage cars....and folks talk about it like it has "newly set the market" for ALL. All we are doing with this ongoing talk is hurting the marque. We should be discussing the solid, well maintained cars that are selling out there, and solidifying the market versus tearing it down with these one-off examples.
    So STOP IT. Lets leave the low ball cars to eBay, and focus on reporting only the ones which look good enough for us to buy.

The other ancillary impact is that folks WITH the good cars are being forced to simply take them off the market....so all you are going to see are the run of the mill cars.

Quickly forgotten: There is no such thing as a CHEAP Ferrari, and Buy the BEST example you can find....we all agree with these mottos, then rush to report the newest lowball out there. Lets change the paradigm. Low priced cars in need have always been out there...and always will be, and the new owners of these lowballs will never come back and candidly explain the large amounts of cash that they had to throw into the car to make it as solid as a fairly priced car which they could have purchased with all the stuff already done. Yes, there are fewer buyers, and the prices have softened due to the economy. But a solid Ferrari will still command a solid price, IMO, and still be a very fair deal overall.

SO, IN THIS THREAD.... ONLY THE GOOD/SOLID CARS WHICH HAVE SOLD AT A FAIR PRICE, DESPITE THE BOTTOM FEEDER MENTALITY.

I'll start. No bargain basement, but fair, and both parties very pleased with their "deal" even though they paid well above the bottom.

just recently, 77 308 GTB carb car 45K miles, $40K.
    my old 79 GT4, 15K miles, $30K.
    89 Mondial t cab, low miles, sold for $55K knowingly needing a full major and some other sorting. Owner is still very pleased with the purchase on the high side of the market, and recently won some awards on his beauty.

2. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason
    ******crickets****** ~~~~~~~~tumble weed~~~~~~~~~~

3. TommyFerrari

TommyFerrari Karting

Feb 6, 2009
    Prices are falling on solid, well maintained cars. That is where the market is. This is a very good time to be a buyer!

4. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
    No idea what "crickets" and "tumbleweed" mean or contribute to this thread.

Yes, I recognize that prices have probably fallen 15-20% on average from what the cars might have brought less than 8 months ago. No issue there. My issue is that every rat trap car on eBay which sells at a bottom basement price, does NOT represent the market. For example, a Mondial t cab for <$30K is not the market setter for a well maintained. low miles car -- but thats the TITLE OF THE THREAD.

False perception is my point, just as 348's for $30K, 355's for $40K, etc.

I guess its more exciting to buy into the theory that you can find a rolling barn-find out there these days 'cause folks are flocking to just price match like walmart. Thats it, forget eBay...lets start F-Mart. Falling prices every week.

5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    The high end doesn't set the market either, nor does value pronouncements from folks that aren't going to sell their cars anyway.

A thread headline that says "Mondial T coupe on ebay for XXXX" doesn't imply the market, but it does give a factual price point.

In many ways, this is a good thing. I considered my purchase money thrown out when I bought my car, as I have no plans to sell. I do, however, have plans to buy at some point...

6. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Time of year contributes greatly to price, as well as the economy. When you check prices in May , they will be higher than now. Most sellers have their cars in storage, waiting for Summer prices, before considering a sale.
    Good Ferraris are rarely dumped on the market cheap, they aren't Honda Civics.

7. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Here's some potentially "cheery" news for yea.

How 'bout, the instantly recognisable 1957 Ferrari 250 TR (chassis no 0714TR), with its Scaglietti-designed ‘pontoon-fender’ bodywork, is a potential world record-breaker for sale at RM Auctions, in association with Sotheby’s, is offering the car at its ‘Ferrari Leggenda e Passione’ sale on May 17, in Maranello – and the auction house believes this legendary Testa Rossa could fetch an even higher bid than the 1961 Ferrari 250 GT SWB California Spyder, which RM sold last year for $US10,894,400

8. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
    #8 JF308, Feb 13, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2009

9. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    #9 tundraphile, Feb 13, 2009
    I tend to agree with you on the timing most people use when putting their motorcycles/boats/Ferrari for sale. However I wonder if you will see that typical rise in prices this year. Many who need to sell are already listing their cars, few in a financial crunch have the luxury to wait for warm weather.

There are also no doubt some who are currently making ends meet for the moment, holding out for those warm spring days to unload their car. That probably takes in all conditions of cars, from beaters to museum examples. There are many for sale now, not all are dogs. Expect many, many more in a few weeks as the conventional thought is exactly as you say to sell in spring. But since supply will be inflated IMO, with flat demand prices will stay low.

10. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Drive the prices into the toilet, then people who can't afford to maintain them will buy them, this is where good parts cars come from. The more that are broken for parts right now , the rarer good cars become. Since I don't plan on selling this is a good thing. I need about 5,000 TRs to become parts cars in the year or so :)

11. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
    Man, sounds like you need ALOT of parts. LOL

12. TommyFerrari

TommyFerrari Karting

Feb 6, 2009

13. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
    #13 JF308, Feb 13, 2009
    You guys are right.... l guess I will go dump my 19K mile t for low $30's, and go buy one of those really nice low mile, F355's for $50K. :)

Maybe even an F-1, or a Spider for a couple $K more.

14. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
  15. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
    nah, I said an F-1.

This is just a six-speed. The "market" for those is only $50K. Rick is ripping us off. :)

16. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Wait for one big bank to fail. Then let's have another price discussion on used modern Ferraris. I wish I was saying this in jest.

If you need the cash, low $30Ks may well be where the market is. There's no law out there that we get rewarded for keeping the odometer below 20,000 miles. My 328 has trophies, plaques, a new 30K service and a pretty odometer -- but it's worth less than it was last year. Sorry, I tend to agree with Tillman! on this one -- once I've bought a car, the money is gone, for all intents and purposes. They are basically very fun liabilities.

If you have the cash, you probably could land a nice 355 in the $50K range. The newer cars have been pummeled and probably will continue to be during 2009 -- they are even more expensive liabilities than the 308/328 generation.

17. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
    That is the point that I have been trying to make, albeit not very successfully. Not a distressed seller. Not a rat trap car in need of major sorting.

You used to say that good 328's were lucky to be found in the $50's to $60K. (89's higher). Now what is the market for that kind of car/condition? Are you saying -30% ! ?

I say -15 to -20% off of whatever you could have gotten from last year in a non-distress sale situation. And I was hoping to find some more support depicting this as "fair". Not a bargain, not a steal....fair.

18. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    The good news is that I am going to pay less in personal property tax. Since I don't want to sell my car, the market is only making ownership a little easier.

The most disappointing thing I have seen lately is the blue 2002 360 for sale in Ferrariads for 95k with only 4100 miles. That would be like $20 a mile. The thing to do is DRIVE.

19. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Nope, just want the price of the survivors to go up and cheap used parts are always good to have :)

20. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    As a buyer, though, I'm not looking for the "fair" price. If I'm sitting on cash, I'm looking for the guy in trouble. You are making the assertion that cheap cars are all dogs. I argue that isn't always the case. If I'm patient, ready to jump, and knowledgeable those bargains are out there. If not this month, then next -- especially in the modern machines.

21. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Ditto that.

I bought a TR new and drove it for 14 years putting on 155K miles. All in it cost me $ 2.50 per mile and I enjoyed every one.

I have never understood low mileage used cars.

22. chas-3

chas-3 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    I recently (three weeks ago) picked up a 1990 348 TS (two owner car), 25500 miles, full engine out service just completed by an authorized Ferrari dealership, great original paint, original wheels, interior like new, with service records, all books, tools, and extra key for just under $40K. Did I get a steal? I don't think so. But did I get a deal, and a fair deal? Absolutely. If this car had been $5K to $6K more I would have passed. It all comes down to what the "market" (i.e. available buyers) are willing to pay.

I own a 1983 308 GTSi QV, Azzuro blue, tan interior, with 60K miles. I wouldn't let it go for what I just spent on a 348! It might have "high" miles on it, but it is very well maintained, service records from day one after being through 8 owners - now that is amazing. The other part of the equation is "what is the car worth to me?" That is what sets my selling price or what I am willing to pay for a new ride.

23. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The real cherry 328s used to start at $60K and go north from there. $50K would have bought a nicely serviced one, albeit not a national-level show car. $70K and up bought you a stunning odometer and a title.

Even in a non-distressed sale, I think it would take a great 328 to pull $60K in this market. But I also don't see many distress sales among the 328s -- pretty much the same handful of red/tan cars on DuPont, one red/tan driver at Sport Auto, a couple of high end red/tans at Marshall Goldman and Motorcars. I think the GOOD cars that you mention in your thread title have found long-term owners who don't view the value tied up their cars as very significant. From my perspective, the 328 market seems eerily quiet right now.

The distress sales seem to be at the 360/F430 end of the market where people financed their way into the latest model and now need to escape. I wouldn't draw a direct comparision between the 'modern classic' market (308/328/Boxer) and the recent used Ferrari market. Sheehan has a good article on this on his site an in SCM. I agree with much of what he says there.

24. chas-3

chas-3 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    Not only is the 328 market eerily quiet right now, but so is the 308 market. These cars handle great, are fairly inexpensive to maintain, and are just an all around great ride (still turn heads too). I think the people with the 328/308 cars are holding on to them because it doesn't take a lot of extra cash to keep them going. At least here in the Denver area I havn't seen a well preserved/maintained 308 at any of the exotic dealers in quite a while.

25. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    2nd time already in '09 I have agreed fully with Sparta. Mark it down in your books! :p

I think that many of the cars on the market today are just that - I have stated in other similar threads that while I am in dicussions with two other buyers (not for my car it's not for sale) I am constantly telling them not to buy a car simply because the purchase price is cheap. That doesn't = overall ownership costs, in fact likely the opposite.

Many of these cars that are already in need of serious help will be purchased by those who will drive them and then realize they don't have the money to fix them, and then they are even BIGGER P's OS, so we can all rape them for parts cars.

How about that for making our cars become more rare Sparta?! I am with you man.

MB