1981 Ferrari Mondial 10,000 miles sells for $15,000 | FerrariChat

1981 Ferrari Mondial 10,000 miles sells for $15,000

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by TommyFerrari, Feb 14, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bizz

bizz Formula Junior

May 26, 2008
    Redwood City, CA
    Full Name:
    joe B
    NICE LOOKING CAR and a tremendous value!

2. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #3 JoeZaff, Feb 14, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
    Not that surprised. It is a Mondial 8, probably the least loved and most problematic of the Mondial line. There is no mention of when the last major was performed, service records, tools, books,etc.

The car is not a show queen, it has had paint work. It has cuts in the doors to hold those aftermarket speakers, wrong spark plug wires, intake hose etc, and that is just in the 2 seconds I spent looking at the article. In a perfect market, this car MIGHT fetch 22-23K.

Without records and a recent service....G*D only knows what could possibly be in store for the buyer of a low mileage Mondial 8. I would PPI this car and PPI it again...If it needs 7K worth of work, it is suddenly not such a great bargain.

I say all this to say, you can't look at one car as a measure of where the market is going. Every car has a story. This one might be "cheap" but it might not be a good "value." There is a huge difference that most people, especially those who are watching Ebay prices, don't seem to appreciate. Alot of the cars on Ebay right now can't hold a candle to some of the cars being offered on our very own Ferrariads, but people are expecting the prices to be the same, despite the obvious disparity in quality.

Just my .02.

3. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    What a toad...

To the Previous Poster: WELL SAID....

The single MOST valuable piece of tis car is the trans-axle, due to the final drive ratio was the lowest put into the "side sadle" V-8s.

'If' one were pre-suppossed to putting in a fire-breathing motor in a 308 coupe...say a Glass/fibre car, this would make it nothing short of a missle...a tad weak on the top end, but you'll get there in a jiffy.....

4. elipinski

elipinski Formula 3

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    Emanuel
    Great find of a beautiful looking car for a reasonable price. I hope, the new owner will enjoi it. I personally like the early mondials a lot since it was the first F-Car i drove myself, and it brings back good memories :); reg.

5. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
    Expected or not, this is not out of the ordinary pricing for an 8. The surprise here is the low miles, but as Zaff mentions, it could be a blessing or a curse when you have to go spend again 33% of what you just paid in service.
    Bargain? Hmmm.

Mondials, as you know had four renditions from 80 to 93, and currently prices

2V Injected Mondial 8 followed the GT4 say in the $teens to $20's
    Quattrovalvole (akin to the 308 QV) say in the $20's to low 30's
    Mondial 3.2 (akin to the 328) say upper $20's to low&mid $30's
    Mondial t (348) $30's to $40's

Why the rush to report a "bargain"? It looks like a nice car, but bargain, perhaps not. Maybe fairly priced. We just don't know.

Tommy, are you looking for a car? What model?

6. TommyFerrari

TommyFerrari Karting

Feb 6, 2009
    I am a buyer. I'm just not sure what I want. If I would have seen that Mondial 8 for 15K, I probably would have purchased it.

7. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Unless I read the ad incorrectly, the true milage is unknown.

Regards,

Art S.

8. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    Nice car for the price.

9. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
    Go at least QV. But you WILL like a Mondial no matter which model.

10. st.tully

st.tully Karting

Jan 29, 2004
    I'll confess to being biased as I have a Mondial 8 forsale, but the price for that M8 is probably not too far off the mark. The M8's as well as the early injected 308's were notorious "oil burners" and many had engines replaced by Ferrari under warranty. If this M8 only had 10k miles it probably wasn't driven enough to demonstrate the oil burning problem, so it still has the problem engine. Also, as had been said, the full service on a M8 isn't less expensive than any other Ferrari.

My M8 is priced at 27,5 - which is high but here are the pluses: one owner for 25years, all service up to date, all service done by the same mechanic since new, new engine under warranty at @30k miles, currently @45k miles, all records including window sticker and bill of sale, condition is MINT, owner was a surgeon who is absolutely meticulous (when the car arrived at the port, he insisted that he and Steve Barney, the dealer, fly to the port and inspect the car as it came off the ship). The colour is Azzurro Dino which the owner chose after visiting the factory - and was the colour used in the original M8 brochure.

OK - enough of me talking about my car - my point is there is really not much price difference between a good Mondial 8 and the best Mondial 8. It is a great car and very versatile - I have owned a 328, 512BBI and a TR - the Mondial is just as much of a Ferrari as any of these - plus my kids can ride in the back!! Yes, it doesn't have the performance of a TR, but you can go for a supercharger and cure that problem.

11. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    I think $15K was a very good buy, in parts alone the car has more than $15K in it, plus 2 sets of wheels. I think it's the market, not enough buyers, so he kept reducing it. Once all checks out after a major, the buyer will have a nice car that was well bought.

12. ckracing

ckracing Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    Jacksonville,Florida
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I was the fourth owner of that Mondial 8. I worked at the repair shop that maintained the car. The belts, hoses, and water pump were changed in 2003. The only fault with that Mondial was the fuse panel. The previous owners were afraid to drive the car because it would leave them stranded. The first owner lived in NJ, he died and after many years of the car being parked in the garage the wife sold the car to the second owner with just a few thousand miles on it. The second owner had more than one Ferrari and did not use the Mondial much, because of being stranded too many times. The third owner brought the car to our shop many many times trying to repair the non start issue. We did the fuel pump bypass mod and put relays in the door to improve the window operation. The third owner needed funds for his company. I bought the car from him. I kept it for a couple of years. I put 348 wheels on which helped with the handling and the looks. The paint was faded on the roof and the rear deck lid. I had it painted. I have a friend that needed to sell his 308GTSQV. I sold the Mondial to help pay for the 308. The car was never in any accident. The new owner got a great deal.

I wish him plenty of fun with his new Mondial.

13. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Hopefully the new owner will pre-emptively change out the fusebox with one from Clive or GT Auto Parts - if the belts/tensioners are good, that car will be reliable for years.

14. ckracing

ckracing Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    Jacksonville,Florida
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Get the NEW fusebox, change Timing Belts and the car will be great for many many years.

15. TommyFerrari

TommyFerrari Karting

Feb 6, 2009
    It is a small world! I can't believe we found an owner of that Mondial!! I wish I could have gotten your car history a couple days ago (and I wish I would have seen that ebay listing earlier). For 15K it seems like a no brainer to buy a running Ferrari. With your added insight that car seems like a real steal.

16. jefffromcanada

jefffromcanada Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2006
    Alberta
    What %tage would you ad to each QV, 3.2, and T if they were cabs?