599 First Service - when? | FerrariChat

599 First Service - when?

Discussion in '612/599' started by Maximus Brutus, Feb 14, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Maximus Brutus

Maximus Brutus Karting

Feb 27, 2004
    Switzerland
    My 599 is due 1st April and at the end of that month I'm planning a trip to the factory maybe coming back the long way through Austria or eastern Switzerland. It could be a 2,000km trip.

Is there a first/oil change service required after modest mileage? Either way what are the service intervals?

2. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    From what I understand services occur annually or when the OBC states a service is due. my friends hard driven 599 needed it first service at around 5000 kms, another car need a first service at 8000 kms.

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The 612 first service is at one year or 5,000 miles. I assume it's the same for the 599.

I asked about changing the oil at 1,000 miles or something, and both the factory and my dealer were insistent that it wasn't necessary.

4. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    599 is 12k Miles, 18750km for initial service or Annual (UK Car) there's no running in service

5. Maximus Brutus

Maximus Brutus Karting

Feb 27, 2004
    Switzerland
    That's good news. Thank you all. Looks like I'm free to stretch her legs.

Whilst we're on the subject, what's the running in criteria?

6. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I've posted this info before, but the cars arrive at the dealer thoroughly run in. Every engine is run for several hours on a dyno and every finished car is thrashed hard on a drive out of the factory in the area around Maranello and then onto the Fiorano track. They run the cars, rain or shine, winter or summer and they don't spare them at all. It's fun to be around the factory during working hours, watching new cars taking off out of the gate into the surrounding countryside. The cops are in on the deal and the locals cheer the cars as they fly by.
    By the time you take delivery the car is ready to go. I have never run-in a Ferrari, ever.

7. Maximus Brutus

Maximus Brutus Karting

Feb 27, 2004
    Switzerland
    I'm liking the sound of this. The 599 will be my first new Ferrari having owned a 575M in 2004.

8. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Agree with you, so few people are actually aware of this though, friend took delivery of a F430 and on the same day the following "race" took place. Car had around 150 kms on the clock at the time, additionally our dealer down here road tests every car which entails finding a nice straight piece of road and...well you can guess the rest.

Vid link, from around 20km/h to 260km/h...
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v59/Ferrari360/?action=view&current=awesome.flv

9. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    To reinforce this point, I asked the factory after-sales guy if there was anything special I should do for run-in on the 612. He paused a second, and said "Don't take it on the track for the first 1,000 miles. Otherwise don't worry about it."

10. speed racer

speed racer Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    Burr Ridge IL.
    Full Name:
    PJ
    The answer I got on the run in on my 599 was to try not to track the car for the first 500 miles. My car had 510 miles on the odo the first time its rubber made its first lap.

11. dgfhdfgh

dgfhdfgh Guest

Jan 30, 2009
    The latest cars are indeed different to to the earlier V12s in terms of what is required. I still wonder however whether this is partly marketing over what is actually good practise; true, the roads around Abetone are full of well-driven cars on test but (always imo of course) one still needs to bed-in a car to normal use in other respects that will ultimately affect the feel of the car.

12. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    What would be the marketing advantage? If there was an advantage to taking it easy for some time period, I would think it would completely be in the factory's interests to tell you so. Otherwise, they stand to bear the brunt of higher warranty costs.

Most Ferrari buyers expect to do some sort of special treatment during a running in period-- hence the questions here-- so there would seem to be little advantage there.

13. dgfhdfgh

dgfhdfgh Guest

Jan 30, 2009
    The term "marketing" was used to indicate or describe the modern bias towards (calculated) lower running costs, particularly in comparison with other "equivalent" manufacturers; tech has moved forward, possibly fully negating the need of a running-in period as of old; I am just cautious ( or getting old...)

14. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Do you think any new Ferrari purchaser cares in the least about lower running costs? I find that hard to believe. If you care about running costs, a 599 is not the car for you!

15. FJerry

FJerry Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2004
    United States
    I am convinced the run in on modern cars is more about getting the tires, possibly brakes, and most importantly, YOU. :) I still like to have the dealer change the essential fluids (motor oil, rear diff) after 500-1500 miles but I admit this is more of me with old habits than anything else.

16. dgfhdfgh

dgfhdfgh Guest

Jan 30, 2009
    That is why I used the term "marketing" as opposed to "ownership". There are markets (Greece is amongst many) where leasing, etc premia are relative to to the yearly cost of maintenance as declared by the manufacturer or verified by the underwriter. I respectfully decline to comment on mass trends, particularly on such matters, but I have to say that I've met (in my fifteen years of being a Ferrari owner) many that have pegged such matters as criteria for selecting a particular make of car. I also seem to recall that the original 550 was one of the cars that most declined to judge relative to such criteria.

I agree with JFerry's comment; I'm a bit like that myself.

17. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Modern fluid formulations, like oil, brake fluid etc are so much better than those used 30 years ago, and they tend to be stable and long lasting. Certainly not needing replacement within a 1,000 miles of initial use. The more critical requirement for new Ferraris is for the driver to be certified as capable of handling the car with its attendant power, cornering and braking capabilities. The best fluids on earth will not overcome basic ignorance with regard to driving ability. But for most Ferrari owners, who it seems never drive their "prizes" anyway, even that point is moot. :)

18. FJerry

FJerry Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2004
    United States
    Aint that the truth. I am 10w60 certified :)

19. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    It turns out that on a 599 you change rear tires more often than you change oil! :)

20. Sareve

Sareve F1 Rookie

Oct 23, 2007
    Singapore/Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Shouldn't your first service be at wherever distance/number of days stated when under the Car Service option when you press the mode button on the dash?