Bushwhackers Porsche Illustrations | FerrariChat

Bushwhackers Porsche Illustrations

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by bushwhacker, Feb 12, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    #1 bushwhacker, Feb 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I found these in a box of spot illustrations I did for Road & Track, Motor Trend, Etc. in the mid 70's. These are the Porsches, I'll post some of the other marques in a seperate forum at a later date. Thought you guys might like to see a blast from the past. :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
  3. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    Where does the talent end Bush? I'm completly blown away.

4. a8guy

a8guy Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    how very cool

5. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I like those, a lot.

6. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    Hey Bush, my office needs a little artwork....wink, wink, nudge,nudge.:)
    The more I find out about you, the more proud I am to have the Bushmobile.

7. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    #7 jimpo1, Feb 13, 2009
  8. Helios

Helios Karting

Dec 9, 2003
    Maryland
    Your work takes me back to the days when I was a drooling kid counting the days until I was old enough to drive.

R & T was my favorite car mag, and I remember your stuff well! Thank you!

9. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Wow, thanks Michael. It's been a cazillion years since i've actually seen these illustrations, what a surprise to run across them while going through some old boxes.

a8guy.........Thank you. Just out of curiosity do you have an A8?, I worked on the Audi account for many years designing their brochures and shooting some film as well. In fact I shot the A8 video when they launched it in '89'........what a shoot all over the country and 29 days of shooting.........a lot of work but fun.

Thanks man!!!!!!!!!

Johnny, you know I never did do an illustration of the car before I sold it to you, soooooooooooooYou got it man, I'll do it just for you. Send me some pics of the R22 you fly( low angle.......about mid car, normal lens ) and I'll try to incorporate it in the drawing if I can. Hey I usually charge two or three hundred for a car illustration but for you dude it's on the house........hope you're doing well man, good to hear from you.

Yeah, brings back lots of memories for me too. The art director/creative director of Road & Track at the time (Bill Motta) was friend of mine and fellow Porsche owner. Bill is probably one of the best and amazing fine art automotive painters on the planet and one of the coolest guys and car nut to boot. I can remember when I lived in Laguna Beach years ago and they have a juried art festival that lasts for six weeks. Bill and I had our boothes in the festival and we used to sit in our chairs every night selling our car pics.....great days in deed.

10. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    #10 bushwhacker, Feb 13, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2009

Jim,Thanks.........what a beautiful car.... Geez!, it looks brand new..what year? :D

11. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    Awesome! I can't wait. Personally I'd like it more without the heli. The Bushmobile shares no stage.:D However, If you think the heli would compliment the illistration I'll look for some pics of it.
    Thanks again, your the best!

12. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    You got it....no Heli.:D

13. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

Great looking pieces :)

14. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Dennis, very dynamic drawings! What a hard thing to achieve in that medium!

15. nickd

nickd Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2006
    Landenberg PA
    Full Name:
    Nick Dunlop
    They are bloody marvelous, thanks

16. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    #16 bushwhacker, Feb 15, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
    Thanks Uro, that means a lot. You understand the medium, in pen and ink kind of like watercolor you get one shot / one stroke and that's it, there's no eraser. In emergencies I have patched the mistake but it's not the same as the challenge to it get right the first time or live with the bad stroke.
    I use the old fashioned 'Speedball' pen and india ink, somehow the new pens like 'Radiographs' just don't have the feel of the old Speedos.

17. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    we used to use the old "rapiograph" pens that you had to shake to get the ink flowing thru the tip...many old memories out there... "tritone" aka james used to work for the porsche guys and was no slouch with india ink as i recall.

18. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis

Yeah, I remember my old Art Center days, if you laid one of those things down and forgot about it, it dried out. Then you had to take the thing apart and remove the needle valve and soak everything in water. For the most part you had to use it verticaly so the ink would flow.
    They were great when they worked and a pain in the #$& when they didn't. Remember the humidifier / holder..........great memories.:D

19. nsxnick

nsxnick Formula 3

Jul 24, 2001
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Nick
    #19 nsxnick, Feb 20, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
    were you the designer for Password Plus?

20. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Love them !

21. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    Bushwhacker, good work! Makes me want to bust out my Chartpaks.

I am envious that you went to ArtCenter... I went there for a while & had to drop out (couldn't afford $100k a year tuition as a child).

22. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Wow "Chartpaks", that brings back some memories too. I attended Art Center in the late sixties and still have the receipts for tuition, a semester was $485 then plus living expenses and materials, a lot of money for the time. I was lucky I had three room mates and between my parents and playing in a rock group, I scraped by. It was tough then and I don't remember anyone having a lot of dough, that's part of what made it a great school, everyone although very competitive had the passion for the craft. Art Center was tough to get into but much of that has changed, I taught 7th and 8th semester advertising there in the early nineties and it seemed more about the $ than results.It's too bad it has gotten so expensive now, there many talented kids that would love to go to Art Center but ust can't afford it.

23. ferrariartist

ferrariartist F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    East of Toronto
    Full Name:
    Grant Thomas
    Very cool drawings. I love the line quality... Excellent!

We used those Tech pens back in School and i continued with them at home and at work for quite a while... you'd shake it to get the ink flowing, and if you didnt hear the click-click of the plunger you knew you were in for a 20 minute disassembly and cleaning job. Heaven help you if you bent the needle reinserting it...

Would love to see any more you have...
    Did you get any of your drawing in the Anniverary Road & Track book "Art of the Automobile" back in the '90s?

thx for posting.

GT

24. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    #24 bushwhacker, Feb 20, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2009

Thanks Grant, Yeah I think Bill Motta used an illustration I did of a 1750 Alpha for the book if I remember right.
    I'm going to post some other illustrations of other cars today in the 'General Automotive Disscussion' forum here on FChat.

25. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    #25 bushwhacker, Feb 24, 2009
    Going through some other boxes today and ran across the cover for the Porsche Parade program back in 76/77 in San Diego. This is just a quick digital pic not a scan so it might be a little soft.:D