Looking for Porsche | FerrariChat

Looking for Porsche

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by Joe Mac, Feb 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Joe Mac

Joe Mac Formula 3

Guys, I'm in search of a 96 - 98 Porsche 911 Cabriolet, black or ocean blue as a preference. I figure this market provides a unique opportunity to pounce on a good deal and this might cure my fix for a convertible.

There is a nice one at Holt Motorsports in West Chester, but I have only seen website pictures.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Joe

2. SATedeschi

SATedeschi Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2007
    USA Delaware
    Full Name:
    Steve Tedeschi
  3. nickd

nickd Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2006
    Landenberg PA
    Full Name:
    Nick Dunlop
    I was in there yesterday - several very very nice cars (not the usual crap) and a few cabs.

Not cabs but - 964 RS America - the best I've seen (black) , and a Supercharged 993 (blue metallic) in RS look alike mode to name a couple ........

Worth a look at as the pictures don't give the full story

Nick

4. Joe Mac

Joe Mac Formula 3

5. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Several 1995-1998 cabriolets including black showing at www.sloancars.com However the only Ocean Blue was on a newer special order 2004 Turbo cabriolet...
    CH

6. Joe Mac

Joe Mac Formula 3

Holt is a nice guy. He has been doing it for a LONG time and he doesn't tend to buy the crap. I work near the place, so next week I will make the visit and see how "depressed" the market is from a pricing standpoint

7. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
  8. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Joe,
    I agree on Holt 100%. He carries a real nice collection and he a great guy as well. When I was still working up the cojones to buy a Ferrari, Porsche was my clear second choice and I would buy from him in a second. Of course, he is more expensive then the competition...but that is reflected in the quality of his cars. I would be interested in seeing how you do. BTW, there is a stunning burgundy 993 C2 with 44K miles there...sport seats, etc. Please buy her so I can live vicariously through you...I know she is not the one you are interested in, but trust me, one look and you will change your mind. That particular car is my favorite 993...period. Not the model, not the color, THAT CAR.

If I hadn't bought a Ferrari, she would be mine.

9. ALPO

ALPO Formula 3

May 13, 2005
    Annapolis area
    Full Name:
    alpo
    I have a black/black Porcshe Boxster w/factory option speed humps, 18" wheels, factory cover, 44k miles. I can take and post pics this evening. Will sell below market/offers - I drive the car 1x per month and have too many cars (six) right now. Not a 911, but looks very similar (and even better with speed humps).

10. nickd

nickd Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2006
    Landenberg PA
    Full Name:
    Nick Dunlop
    993's I think he said $36k to $46K

11. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    #11 turbos7903, Feb 15, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
    Joe, the 996 cab is a much better car than the 993 if your not one of those stuck in the past needing an "Air cooled" throwback.Their 2000 and later in the cab version. They also made a C4 S cab with four wheel drive. Bigger brakes,mor HP and some body differences. The top dissapears into the body also unlike the 993 which I believe sits on the rear deck and requires a canvas cover. Just food for thought. 996's will be much more car for the money as well as they havent held there value as well due to the "Air cooled vs Water cooled" stigma. Jon
    PS much much much better option than selling the Scud for a 16M....Just in case your thinking.

12. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #12 JoeZaff, Feb 15, 2009
    Got to agree with Jon on this one too. Outside of that particular burgundy 993, which I covet, I haven't really gotten into the 993...and I really tried!

Each car has its issues and its things to watch out for, but, as a whole, I think the 996 is just a better car and much more fun to drive. I also like the engine note more (I know blasphemy), and the fact that the pedals are not floor mounted, which I found really annoying. When I was looking at Porsches, I really wanted to love the 993 because of the history, blah, blah, blah, but I ended up liking the 996... The fact that it is faster and cheaper to own doesn't hurt either. All that being said, I doubt you will be able to resist the temptation of that little burgundy beauty.

http://www.holtmotorsports.com/inventory.php?vin=321918

Give her a pat on the hood from me when you are down there.

13. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I had a couple of 993s and 3 996's including a 2000 C2S cab. The 993 looks better sounds better, but it does not have as good a shifter and it is not as quick, but for some the 996 was a step in the wrong direction. If it were me (keep in mind it would not stay remotely stock), I'd buy a 996 (though only in rwd) they probably would cost about the same as a 993. After 39 Porsches, I know them pretty well.

14. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    If you do like the 996 C4 body, they are easy to make into rwd, I did it with my 996TT

15. Joe Mac

Joe Mac Formula 3

I know I can always rely on Jon for terrific car advice! I agree with you on the 996 but I have never liked the look of the cab. I had a bunch of 996s over the years but always stayed away from cab version because of the strange boot.

your note on the 16M is spot on. i met with Algar yesterday to discuss a slot they offered me. They are being very helpful in regardfs to scenarios for pricing the sale of my Scud and consigning offers, but, at the end of the day, my only reason for getting the 16M would be open roof and limited production. To take a loss on my Scud makes no sense just so that i can get those two qualities. That's when I decided to follow Doug's advice. ADD to the collection! The 993 has always been my favorite body style. MY favorite is the 993 turbo, but I want an open roof! Seems like the pricing is down from where it was 9 months ago (surprise!)....hence my pursuit!

16. justin993

justin993 Karting

Nov 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Justin993
    #16 justin993, Feb 15, 2009
    Hey Joe,
    There are plenty out there for cheap. However, good, clean, no story ones still get top dollar.
    Based on the the fact that you have owned some of the nicest, cleanest, well optioned F-cars I have seen in the last year, I would guess you would want the same out of your p-car.

17. Fadiboy

Fadiboy Karting

Apr 23, 2008
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #17 Fadiboy, Feb 15, 2009
    Joe,

I have to say, while I usually think it's crazy to pay more (or the same) for less performance, the 993 is so much better looking than the 996 (IMHO). 997s, however, offer the right blend of performance and enhanced looks, albeit a bit piggish in size. I am sure you've driven them all, what does your driving experience tell you? I'll look forward to your ultimate choice.

Dave

18. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    OK with due respect to all of you who have posted about the 993 being better looking than the 996 or 997. Blah,Blah,Blah

Its just fortunate in all this dissagreement...well Joe and I dissagreeing with all of you anyway that at the base is our agreement that a Porsche would be a great ADDITION to the stable. I love FCars and will always own one but it will never replace my desire for a PCar. I just have to have both...even if we dont agree all the time on which one I would own. Here's to radiators and modern looking driver cockpits!!! Jon in Delaware

19. Radnor

Radnor Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2007
    USA
    Hmmmm....never owned a Porsche....am I missing out on much?

20. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    I've never owned one either. Always liked them.
    I was thinking maybe one day of getting a new 911 S as a daily driver.

21. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    #21 fou, Feb 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Where is the 964 love?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Joe Mac

Joe Mac Formula 3

Joe, I think you and I should go down there and do a "1 for 1 and a half" deal!!

23. Joe Mac

Joe Mac Formula 3

Jon's love for Porsche is very evident. I, as well, have had alot of fun with Porsches. I guess this is a digression, but isn't that what FChat is all about....my first Porsche came when I was 18 (i guess 1985?). I bought a 1973 914-6. There weren't many 6 cylinders and I got a lucky find right down the street from my parents house! The car cost me $2,100. I thought that was all the money in the world. My Dad told me to respect the fact that this was a rare car and that I should only use it for joy rides. Never being the one to listen to my Dad, it was completely wrecked in a bad accident 7 days after I bought it (not my fault). Totaled, I was left without a car until I found a beautiful 914-4 - red 2 litre. GREAT CAR! I rebuilt the engine myself, replaced rotors and suspension and really had a ton of fun with that car.

Flash forward, I made the mistake of not buying another Porsche until 2000. A black 996. Great car until 2002, when they released the C4S. I had to have it. And I did. Next, a pre-owned 2002 996 Turbo tiptronic. Tha lasted 4 days, until I had heard enough about the fact that tiptronic cars are for women....so, I traded it the same week (the paperwork hadn't even been mailed to Harrisburg) for a 2003 996 Turbo, appropriately configured with a 6 speed.

Next, the new C4S in 2006. This was in between my 2 360 Spiders.

So, I have certainly had enough of the 996 body style. I think the reason I think of the 993 as a real Porsche is the air cooled aspect but even more important is the fact that I think the 996 era is the creation of Porsche as a mass producer of cars. The spoiled Porsche for me.

I understand that many of you are focusing on the fact that the 996 is more car for the money; more power for the buck; more agility per dollar. I own a Scuderia. If I want any more power, agility or shear driving pleasure, I will jump behind the wheel of the Scud. If, instead, I want a leisurely ride with the top down, what better than an air cooled 993!

BY the way, I think this new purchase will spell the end to the Ford Model A. For one, I NEVER drive it. Haven't driven it in about a year. Second, Alex hit it yesterday in my driveway with his Lotus, so now it is ruined!! THanks Alex!

So, the pursuit for the perfect blue or black 993 Cab begins.....

24. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe

I can think of one car...hmmm...what do they call it....yes, now I remember.... A FERRARI MONDIAL

I'll tell you what, to prove my point, we can trade cars for the weekend. I promise I will bring your Scud back in no more than two easily reconstructed pieces.

25. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    Totally agree with you, yet there is something so classic about the last of the bug eye headlights of the 964. One can spit out all the car magazine mumbo jumbo about dual distibutor and clutch problems, but the true essence is that Porsche finally got the tail to stay somewhat where it belongs in turns and had not yet filled the car up with all the electronic hocus pocus. Very slight power steering with anti lock brakes. Classic stand up nose with oil/air cooled noise coming from a top down drive. That is why cars have come and gone in my house, but the 964 has never left.