Mondial QV vs Modern Sportscar | FerrariChat

Mondial QV vs Modern Sportscar

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Gim Leng, Feb 14, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gim Leng

Gim Leng Rookie

Feb 12, 2009
    Hi. I am from Singapore, a small country in Asia. I am a big fan of Ferrari. Owning a Ferrari here is extremely expensive. There are less than 5 Mondial in our country. Recently there is one for sale and i am seriously considering. I have not driven a Ferrari before. With the price of this Mondial QV, i can purchase other modern used sports car such as Audi S3, Nissan 350Z, Honda S2000, BMW Z4 coupe and many more. But a ferrari is a Ferrari. To assist in my decsision, appreciate if people here can share with me the driving experience of a Mondial QV vs a modern Sports car given that a mondial technology is 20years old behind any of the above mention

Thank You

2. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #2 snj5, Feb 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    One of the first things you will notice is that most older Ferraris demand more effort to drive than most modern sportscars - more concentration on what you are doing as well as physical strength. Driving a Ferrari, especially if you are not used to it, is a little more difficult than newer cars.
    Then engines and the cars have their own rhythm, which usually involves using a higher rpm range than more modern cars and shifting a bit more often to keep the rpms in the happy place.Thanks to modern technology, newer sports cars are happy to lug around town lazily and not complain; many Ferraris will also do this, but you will be able to tell they are not very pleased about it.
    Most older Ferraris will not be as outright fast as modern sports cars, certainly not as comfortable, but that is not the point neccesarily with owning an older Ferrari. The whole experience of driving it is getting that wonderful engine, drivetrain and chassis to all sing together. This will also take some effort on your part, and THAT is the point.
    You will find the car has a lot of personality, a combination of good or bad depending on what mood you and the car are in at the time...
    Most Ferraris are much louder than more modern cars. Again, this is part of their personality which you may love or find annoying depending on you mood. Ferraris in this respect are very much like another person, perhaps an Italian... :)
    Almost every drive will be an adventure.
    Also, you will feel the heritage of the car - EVERY Ferrari is connected in personality and lineage back to its siblings from that machine shop in Maranello: Formula 1, the sports-racing cars, the Grand Tourismos and most importantly the people that concieved and made them, mostly by hand.

You will never find a more engaging car to drive, nor one that brings such a smile to your face when you and the car are in rhythm and you get it right.
    Have fun and enjoy!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. ckracing

ckracing Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    Jacksonville,Florida
    Full Name:
    Charles
    All Russ stated above is true. But ask yourself how often do you have the chance to buy a Ferrari. Check and see who can work on a Ferrari in your area. Have a full inspection done and if it checks out buy it. Make sure the seller can prove when the timing belts were changed. If there is no history use that as a way to reduce the price. The other thing to check is tire condition, the metric tires are very expensive, if they are worn out then expect to pay about $400.00 per tire. The way I look at it is, you can always buy a Nissan, Honda, BMW or any mass made car anytime.
    Good luck

4. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    Go for a test drive, listen to the noise (leave the stereo off!) and if you like it get it checked by a pro, if you buy it change the old TRX's, transforms the car and above all use it! Good luck

5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    You're also comparing a four-seater to a bunch of two-seaters.

I would say if you're looking for a car to drive every day, the Audi, Nissan, Honda and BMW would be more convenient. I have an '08 Audi as well as an '80s Ferrari, and while the Ferrari has more charisma and is more fun to drive, the Audi is easier and faster, and obviously far cheaper to maintain.

You will find the Mondial QV requires more warm-up than the modern cars, and that when things break there is not the same kind of spares network -- you might wait a few days or weeks for certain parts.

But I guess you already answered your own question. A Ferrari is a Ferrari, Everything else isn't. You need to drive one to decide whether you prefer high-tech over old school and raw. I appreciate both, but you won't get both in a single car.

6. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    The test is to get it out & try it. Especially, if it's a cab, get it out & listen to the italian symphony. No other sound as you run it at higher RPM's. A Ferrari is meant to be driven. A round town, it will be more of a handfull with no power steering & wide tires. OK acceleration, but most modern hardware will simply destroy it. If you want speed, buy a C-5 vette, or a newer Ferrari, like a 355. Parts are available on QV's, but not like more common, higher volume cars.

7. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    #7 rolindsay, Feb 16, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
    I'll toss my 2-cents in here too.

Contrasts: I have a '79 308GTB and an '83 Mondial QV coupe'. The cars are entirely different. The Mondial feels open and airy where the GTB feels as if you have just put it on. Depending upon your tastes and your size, one may fit you better than the other. I prefer the GTB but that's because I'm not too tall and I'm slim - and I just like the 'being part of the machine' feel. That being said, the Mondial is a much more modern car, if I can use that word regarding a 25 year old car. At times I enjoy driving it much more. I consider myself very lucky to have these two ikons of the era.

Design: The Mondial, like its other Maranello 12-cylinder contemporaries, was Ferrari's first 'modern' car. As such, the Mondial has every trinket and doodad that one might imagine. For example, do we really need an electric release for the glove box, with the switch located just a half meter away? Kinda cool though.

Restoration: There is A LOT of leather in a Mondial interior and if it needs restoration it can be costly. Still, a good treatment with Leatherique's Rejuvinator Oil will get you the 90% solution very quickly. I intend to do a fuse panel replacement on my car as that is a serious design flaw in the Mondial. When new, the system probably worked fine but just like the instrument pods in C4 Corvettes, the connectors and current-carrying printed circuit lands are very weak. They become resistive and available current to operate the various circuits drops. Test all the electrical accessories.

Operating (other than driving): Windows are typically VERY slow by modern standards, even when the drive system is in top condition. Seat positioning is just fine and totally mechanical. Visibility is quite good. The car is a 2+2. Read that as 'two people and two bags of groceries'. Headroom in a Mondial is fantastic. Many Americans can't fit in a GTB. Even I, a 5'10" (1.78 meters) have to recline the seat rather far to not have my head rub the headliner.

Driving: Others have covered this topic so I'll be brief. By modern standards, the car is a beast to drive in town. This is especially so when the drive-train is cold. What do I mean by that?

+ When warm, the engine and gearbox are as smooth as warm butter. Gears change without even the classic 'tink' of the shifter touching the gate. The clutch is hydraulic and although stiff by BMW standards, its very positive. You know you are engaging a Ferrari engine when you work the pedal. (My 308GTB's clutch is VERY hard. It's mechanically linked and being a European-spec car, does not have the mechanical advantage (lever) built into American cars.)

+ When cold, the best thing you can do is be patient. The engine feels like it is straining to do its job. The drop gears whine and second gear is often not an option. Watch your oil temperature gauge as a guide to how aggressive you should drive. Well, that and the "School Zone" signs. :) My Mondial's 2nd gear is usable (without a fight) after about 3 miles or 5 minutes driving out of my neighborhood. I stay under 3000rpm until I see the coolant temperature gauge start to rise then under 4000rpm until at operating temperature (reading starting to show on the oil temperature gauge). These techniques apply to both my cars.

As others have said, you have to really want to drive this car. Forget sipping a latte as you motor on. You'll be too busy. Radios and CD players are just noise that make it hard to hear the exhaust properly. And the steering. That's a whole other topic. At 90mph the steering is fabulous. You feel in 100% control and car responds to your every demand. At in-town speeds you need Popeye arms to drive it. Well, no it isn't that bad, but the Mondial is a big, heavy car with manual steering.

The other important point is that unlike the other cars you mention, these cars have no rev-limiter other than your right foot. You can break them. And as others have said, you have the rest of your life to own Hondas and BMWs, but an '80s vintage Ferrari may be out of range in a few years. Watch me kick myself for not buying that 250GT PF coupe' a few years ago because $40k was too expensive!!!

So the bottom lines is; Owning and driving a Ferrari is a royal pain in the ass. And there's nothing more rewarding in the whole world! :)

Rick

8. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    #8 Zertec, Feb 16, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2009

No question, buy the Ferrari.
    There are enough people in Singapore to work on the Mondial.

Is it silver?

Clive (in Singapore)
    BTW there is almost no depreciation on the Mondial in Singapore whereas you already know about the other cars you mentioned.

9. Gim Leng

Gim Leng Rookie

Feb 12, 2009
    Thanks all for sharing.

Yes. is the sliver one. any feedback? thank You

10. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    I have sent you a PM

11. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    Call me 96641037

12. jjsmith

jjsmith Rookie

Feb 4, 2011
    Where can I refurbish an old Ferrari Mondial? Apart from Ital that is....