Classic Car Insurance | FerrariChat

Classic Car Insurance

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by dustified123456, Feb 17, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dustified123456

Feb 12, 2009
    Woodbridge Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dusty McGrath
    I was just wondering if any of you have classic car insurance. I am sure its different between states, however I know in NJ its 20 years. I am sure that the price of the car and everything goes into the quote. I know my dad pays $45 per year for his '79 Cougar. I was just wondering what I could be looking at when I get mine. (Looking at an '85 308 GTS QV).

2. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    I have a 85 308qv gts,insured with state farm,agreed value of $50k,full coverage nand a bunch of other stuff like unisured ins for those out here in calif that don't have ins that might hit me,,and I'm 53,its costing me $600 ayear,I know some out there are paying less and I'm sure I could too!,but I've been with these guys for awhile and I didn't have to go out there and get a appraisle

3. sf_hombre

sf_hombre Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2008
    Stimulus Bill
    Full Name:
    Don
    Michael

Does your State Farm policy have mileage or type of use limitations (e.g. driving to/from classic events only)? I'm paying about $1200/year for "regular" coverage (unlimited miles, comp, collision, um etc.) but I am interested in a stated value policy.

4. Fiat4Fun

Fiat4Fun Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2008
    Sunriver OR
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I have my 328 with Hagerty and it is about $700 a year, because they consider it a exotic, where my two older cars are "vintage" and are much less. So far, very happy with them, and I have not had a claim. They require you to have a "daily driver" insured with someone else.

I would be interested in others that have 308's that are insured with Hagerty, do they consider yours a vintage car or exotic?

Thanks,
    Bob

5. slice

slice Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2008
    Connecticut, US
    Though not a classic, my 360 is with Grundy...they were within $150 or so of Hagerty - but the key selling factor was no deductible...and yes, they also require you have a daily driver.

6. sf_hombre

sf_hombre Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2008
    Stimulus Bill
    Full Name:
    Don
    Bob and Slice

Do either of you have mileage limitations on your policy? Are your policies stated value? Thanks.

7. slice

slice Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2008
    Connecticut, US
    Grundy:
    No mileage limit, no deductible...honestly, couldn't be a better choice for me.

8. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    yes,7500miles ayear,but if I did that much mileage that would mean I'll be changing belts more often,I'm not going to do that,I'm averging about 1200 a year

9. Fiat4Fun

Fiat4Fun Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2008
    Sunriver OR
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #9 Fiat4Fun, Feb 18, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
    On my cars with Hagerty, no milage restriction, Agreed Value and a choice of deductible. On my vintage cars, I have $0 deductible, and $1000 on the 328. Saves a bit. On all three cars, the cost is $823. GRUNDY would not very reasonable on the Vintage cars. Hoping my 328 goes to that rating in the next few years..........

By the way, when I added the Ferrari, sent them a picture and gave them a value, and they added the car to my policy.

10. Telerding

Telerding Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2004
    Santa Maria/CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Elerding
    I have classic insurance on my '72 Daytona through Heacock (American Modern Classic).

For $350,000 stated value, $500K/$10K/$300K liability, etc. and $1000 deductible, I pay $721.

3000 miles per year limitation. Better than what I could get with my other insurer, State Farm.