Schumacher in hospital after motorcycle crash | FerrariChat

Schumacher in hospital after motorcycle crash

Discussion in 'F1' started by Dipsomaniac, Feb 11, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dipsomaniac

Dipsomaniac F1 Veteran

Mar 23, 2006
    Doha/Sydney
    Full Name:
    Derek K
    SEVILLE, Spain, Feb 11 (Reuters) - Retired Formula One world champion Michael Schumacher escaped unhurt from a motorcycle crash in Spain on Wednesday.

"Today I had an accident at the biking tests in Cartagena, and to be safe I went to a hospital," the seven times world champion said on his official website (www.michael-schumacher.de). "The checks showed nothing and I just wanted to say that I am fine," added the German, who won five of his titles with Ferrari and retired in 2006 after winning a record 91 grands prix.

Schumacher's spokeswoman said the 40-year-old had been testing with his German Superbike team at the Cartagena circuit since Monday. She said he might have to stay in hospital overnight although immediate checks showed no broken bones.

2. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    I wonder how he crashed?

3. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    So much for retiring to stay safe and be with the family. If Schumi is still looking for action why even cut down of Ferrari testing...

4. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    He should have gone back to racing karts, not very smart as old as he is pushing himself on a bike.

5. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Huh, I was in Cartegena back in 1985 & sure didn't notice any kind of race track at the time. Lovely place though. Hola Inma y Nandy! :)

6. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    I heard he confused the brake levers for flappy paddles and flew over the handle bars while trying to "upshift"

7. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Why beat on him for pursuing his new passion? One of the greatest ever in F1. It sounds almost like you guys are comparing him to an aging fighter trying to make a come back? He has the risk gene-watch him use it.

8. Comprador

Comprador Karting

Feb 4, 2009
    Boston MA
    Full Name:
    Craig
  9. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

first of all, as a long time motorcycle road racer, two wheelers will eventually go down. every motorcycle racer eventually goes down and it is generally oever the high side (they can hurt) or a low side (they usually don't hurt). of course, you can be taken out by other racers too but i think he was testing so that is less likely.

i bet he went over the high side as he made a visit to the hospital. low sides usually result in a quick lever swap, change out the damaged rear set and back out you go!

motorcycle racing is such a pure form of racing and you get to do it in three dimensions. i can understand his interest!!!

pcb

10. ColaGuy

ColaGuy Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Full Name:
    Joel White
    They put him on a motoGP bike? Seems extreme for a guy with virtually no motorcycle experience!?!

11. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    He actually has a lot of experience, including racing bikes.

12. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    The low sides don't get you hurt, except when you start tumbling, like when you finally slide off the pavement onto the grass, like the kink just before the banking at Daytona, going about 140 mph there, and you slide forever, and then you get off the pavement, and start tumbling. Ask me how I know.... 1989......

Art

13. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    #13 Sfumato, Feb 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. redtrman

redtrman Formula 3
    BANNED

May 16, 2008
    VA - Heart in Pitt
    Full Name:
    Jason Bourne
    I raced bikes and from the video, Schumi definitely has lots of experience on a bike.