355 cats | FerrariChat

355 cats

Discussion in '348/355' started by f-man, Feb 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f-man

f-man Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 10, 2008
    canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Can you remove the cats on a 97 355. Will it operate properly and what other mods accompany this ie... jetting, sensor disconnection, extention of tips etc...

2. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    You can remove them and run test pipes. You will get a check engine light. It will not affect the motor, as the ECU does not consider post cat data when tweaking the mixture.

3. kuwait355

kuwait355 Karting

Jul 9, 2006
    Kuwait
    Mates any idea where i can hear the sound of a F355 with test pipes, along with the original stock exhaust? I ask because i've installed test pipes and an after market exhaust which sounds ok but there too much free flow, and sounds more like a Camaro when idle! Surprisingly its an Italian well known brand.

4. NICO R

NICO R Karting

Oct 8, 2008
    Woodbridge
    Full Name:
    Alex A
    if you decide to install test pipes , you can do software upgrade to the ECU so that the check engine light works correctly.

5. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

#5 Oengus, Feb 19, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
    Heres my ex 355 with test pipes and X-OST exhaust.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_w9Xd2UhRI

Cant take credit for the video though..........:)

6. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    This is very true with some aftermarket exhausts. Some will sound very boomy or over gurgly at idle and completely losing the Italian 'exotic' sound :( ............. the idle sound is actually far more difficult to make sound good than at higher RPMs ........... this is where I spent countless hours a great many years ago, then finally applying lessons learned just recently on Vinces 348 ......... making his exhaust sound smooth and tight at idle with a nice progression at higher RPMs all while maintaining a completely free flow design with zero drone ............ :)

Listen to it here ............ gothspeed sound level 1 exhaust ............. :cool:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2377880/custom_ferrari_348_exhaust_by_gothspeed_no_music_background/

7. ferrariformulauno

ferrariformulauno Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2008
    33km from Maranello
    Full Name:
    Andre
    WOW!

Fantastic job, sounds purrrfect at idle!!!

8. kuwait355

kuwait355 Karting

Jul 9, 2006
    Kuwait
    beautiful sound :) I wonder how the stock silencer would sound if cats were replaced with test pipes.