Looking to Buy '87 or '88 Mondial Cab | FerrariChat

Looking to Buy '87 or '88 Mondial Cab

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by OCFerrari, Feb 19, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. OCFerrari

OCFerrari Karting

Jan 20, 2009
    After quite a bit of research, checking out a few cars locally, etc. I'm now in the market for an '87 or '88 3.2 Mondial Cab. I'd consider an '86 if it didn't have the metric wheels.

I'm in So. Cal., so something close would be best, but will consider any location.

I do not want anything earlier, and I do not want a T. 3.2 only.

Let me know what you have!

2. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
  3. OCFerrari

OCFerrari Karting

Jan 20, 2009
    That's a nice looking car, but I'm looking for more of a driver. I'm not looking to pay a premium for an extra low mile car like that. I'd definitely take a look at it if it were local, though, I like the red carpets!

4. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    OC, where in SouthCAL are you from?

5. OCFerrari

OCFerrari Karting

Jan 20, 2009
    Irvine/Costa Mesa.

6. oliv928

oliv928 Karting

Aug 14, 2008
    France, Toulouse
    #6 oliv928, Feb 25, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
    mine is a 3.2QV european 1987 cabriolet. I own it since last september. nice car, nice engine. i wanted a 87 cab too.
    I found it via ebay, and bought it 400kms from home. I am the 4th owner.
    I have done major service and other mechanical things : new injectors, pluggs, some electrical fixes.
    I bought the car for 26.000 euros.
    Now I am looking for non TRX rims, and leather restore. interior is in a nice looking state but leather is quite dry.
    I hope You will find yours soon.

7. OCFerrari

OCFerrari Karting

Jan 20, 2009
    oliv, sounds like you have had good luck with your Mondial. I though the TRX wheels were no longer used on the Mondial by 1987?

I sold my Carrera this weekend (sold it within 48 hours of the ad going up!), so the bank account has been replenished and garage space gained! I had a deal on a Mondial, but passed after a PPI.

Lots of fun sorting through the market, some "interesting" stuff out there, including a forged/doctored invoice for a $7K major service! Oops.

8. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
    WOW... just wow. That is just unconscionable.

9. OCFerrari

OCFerrari Karting

Jan 20, 2009
    Yeah, if the eventual buyer doesn't catch it, he's going to be bummed when he finds out (probably the hard way) that his timing belt and pulleys are at least a half a decade older than he thought.

10. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    I believe the TRX-sized wheels were stock through '88 with the standard-size as an option. I have an '88 owners manual (the car is an '87, so the manual is not original), and it lists both tire/wheel combinations on the tire pressure table.

11. MondiAl87

MondiAl87 Karting

Oct 10, 2005
    Sacramento Area
    Full Name:
    Al D.
    OC,

I PM'ed you. Let me know if you need more info.

Thanx.

Al

12. OCFerrari

OCFerrari Karting

Jan 20, 2009
    Closing in . . .

13. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    #13 CliffBeer, Feb 26, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
    OCFerrari, I'm in Seattle, have an '88 3.2 cab (stock 16 inch wheels), red/tan. She has 53,000 orig miles and runs great, everything is original and very good - paint, etc. comes with books and all the bits, always garage kept, top looks near new, etc. She's probably due for a 30,000 mile service - one was done about 7,000 miles ago but that's getting near to seven years ago now according to the prior owner. I paid $29,500 three years ago and have put maybe 2,000 miles on her. I'd be willing to let her go for the same price if no hassles. I don't need to sell her so not looking to haggle at all. PM me if interested.

Good luck with the search! I think you'll find the 3.2 cab is an excellent ferrari. I bought mine because I had two kids at the time and thought I could tootle around town with the wife and kids but then my wife got pregnant (yes, I'm the father...) with twins so now we have four....and they don't all fit back there..... Incidentally, I just bought a 308 in SoCal this week and need to figure out how to get it up here!

14. OCFerrari

OCFerrari Karting

Jan 20, 2009
    Thanks, CB. I'm surprised they were going for under 30 even 3 years ago, although I guess in the wacky Ferrari world 50K miles is on the high side.

We're a family of three, so should have a few good years where my son can ride back there.

I have bought one (I don't take a huge amount of time to get these things done), but am in the awkward stage where I have sent the money, but not yet received the title or the car. Should have the title Monday, and the car relatively shortly after.

Shoot me a PM if you need a shipper to send from So Cal to Seattle. I have a shipper that I have used on several occasions (including as late as a few weeks ago) and they have always been very quick, reliable and light on the cost.

15. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Hi OC, good to hear you found a mondial cab that fits the bill. I think you will really, really like the mondial cab 3.2 - it's a super driving car and being able to load up the wife and your child and put-put around town will be a lot of fun. One thing that makes the mondial a great driver is the slightly longer wheelbase over the 328. It's not quite as agile or light (or fast) as the 328 but on the open road and/or highway it's really stable and smooth. Your wife might even like it!!

Thanks for the offer to assist with shipping - much appreciated. I think my dad will actually drive it up to Seattle - he'll enjoy that and the car really does need to be driven. Thanks again!