In wall speakers for the house | FerrariChat

In wall speakers for the house

Discussion in 'Technology' started by spike308, Feb 14, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    Anyone have a good recommendation for some nice in-wall speakers for the house?
    I'm gonna install myself.
    Don't wanna spend a lot of $$, and second hand stuff is fine with me
    (I wired my old screened in porch with outdoor speakers, amp, vol control for $300 (all bought off E-Bay)
    Thanks
    (links are good!)

2. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    See if you can find a deal on Jamo products- I am a bit insane on hi-fi and would not normally take an in-wall speaker- at least one that is not custom built- too seriously. However, I have two pairs of a model by Jamo (probably long discontinued by now) that service a background music system in our living room/dining room/kitchen area. These are not true in wall installations, but rather small planars- and they sound incredible- very natural midrange, real bass within limits, etc. I believe that the company hit a pothole a couple years ago- but was resuscitated and is now back in business. I believe that they currently offer a variety of in-wall speakers.

3. 275 GTB

275 GTB Formula 3

Nov 21, 2008
    Sthrn Highlands
    #3 275 GTB, Feb 15, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
    Bass is non-directional, so you can do like we did once and and build in a large woofer (about 20 inch) into your fire place....obviously only if you live in a moderate climate!! You can then focus some horn-loaded mid ranges higher up that wall and at a suitable spacing for a stereo image....same with the tweeters. With a decent crossover and a strong, clean amp driving it all...it will blow your clothes off !!

4. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thats what we did. Speakers in the walls in the living room, kitchen, reading room, dining room and then a big woofer on the floor behind the tv stand

5. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Vann's alway has deals on in wall speakers in their clearance center. For background or rear channel surround they will do. KEF.

6. 275 GTB

275 GTB Formula 3

Nov 21, 2008
    Sthrn Highlands
    KEF!! did you say KEF!!!?????? :) :) :)

7. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #7 LightGuy, Feb 20, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  8. Rickenbach

Rickenbach F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2005
    West
    Full Name:
    Rickenhoser
    My A/V guy is recommending these. Glad to hear someone back him up. I believe that they were taken over by Klipsh.

9. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
  10. 275 GTB

275 GTB Formula 3

Nov 21, 2008
    Sthrn Highlands