Shelby Cobra Replicas? | FerrariChat

Shelby Cobra Replicas?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by REMIX, Feb 16, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

2. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    #2 robert_c, Feb 16, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
    The Daytona is one of my all time favorites. Go for it. It is the only replicar I would own. The add says it's street legal. The last one I saw was at the Dallas Auto Show last year.

The Cobra is too commonplace. FWIW, Superformance is a well know Cobra company.

3. I would agree, the Cobra is everywhere. I would think, after looking in our local car trader, that a Cobra would be hard to resale. The aluminum Kirkham (?)Cobra would probably be the exception. I would go for the Daytona out of the two. FWIW you could pick up a Viper for close to half that. A real factory monster.

4. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    #4 Meister, Feb 16, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
    For years I've had the constant itch to build or own a Cobra Repo or a Ferrari Daytona repo.

The Daytona, because when I was 18 that show was in it's prime, and it made a major impression on me and my interest in cars.

The Cobra, because or it's raw simplicity, iconic looks and pure fun factor. My wife has even mentioned that she would like to learn more about cars, and building a Cobra would be a fun and learning experience we could do together.

BUT...the thing that always brings me back to reality is the forseeable moment when I pull into a gas station or the grocery store and someone asks' me "is it real?"

I hate the thought of having to stand there, tuck my tail and say..."well NO..... it's actually a repo of a 66' 427 side oiler.....or a 70' 365 GTS/4..." I just can't get past that.

These cars; Daytona Coupe, Cobra, Ferrari Daytona are iconic machines, and IMO if I can't actually afford the real one, I'd rather admire them from afar than be a poser that owns a plastic one. Thats just me.....

I see people ripping around the track in repo Cobras w/ shxxt eatin grins, a full-on woody and at speeds so fast they crap their drawers.....massive fun. But at the end of the day, when you park it in your garage it's still a fake. And I (personally) would rather own a genuine cool "X" car (worth 1/8th the value of a Cobra) than a repo of something else.....

JMHO.

5. ChunkyMonkey

ChunkyMonkey Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    Texas, duh
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Although i do like the Daytona, I'd rather get the Cobra. I just like the topless roadster. I'd only buy the Cobra because i know with my career, I'd never be able to afford a real one. Wife and I both enjoy wrenching on cars and have talked about it. We're going for it later on this year, with our eyes on the kit from Factory Five Racing.

6. REMIX

Future Missus Remix just said she wants the house floors redone first ("Hey, you promised!"). She's right, I did promise. Hmmm...I need another $15k to make that issue go away first.

That said, she likes the Daytona, especially the rear view. Don't know, just driving around in a car with a gi-normous number painted on the back, hood and sides seems like a real blast. Has anyone ever driven a street car with an aluminum interior? I cannot imagine the a/c is all that great.

I think it's a given that just about ANY Cobra you'll see ANYWHERE is a fake. I really don't think it's that big of a deal since they're so ubiquitous (as far as Cobras are concerned). I see Vipers on a daily basis, but you bring up a good point. A good Gen 2 GTS could be had for decent money. Something to think about.

RMX

7. labcars

labcars Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Phila. + Scottsdale
    REMIX, if you like the cobra, why not get a AC Mk IV. They're a real blast, all aluminium, easy to mod, and BEST OF ALL, they're ALL in the Shelby Registry. Then, when asked "is it real?", the answer is a simple yes. In fact, my plate is "NOTAKIT"

8. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    an AC MKIV would be nice (especially if you can find a 351 or 427 car). i looked for a car for the longest time. passed on a nice black one out of bucks county, PA for $45k and the owner sold on ebay for $55k several months later. they are the read headed stepchild of the "shelby" world.

rather have a kirkham 289 FIA.

9. cntchds

cntchds Formula 3

Oct 22, 2005
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Peter Hatch
    I love the Daytona. Pull the trigger on that one, and you'll be very happy, and you will never see another one on the road next to you.

Peter Hatch

10. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    It may be a bit much, but Chip on the FordGTforum is selling his Kirkham Cobra.
    http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14221
    It's a steal at $89,000

11. corvetteman39

corvetteman39 Karting

Feb 16, 2009
    Bartlesville, OK
    Full Name:
    Robert Bean
    If you do the replica, I like both but I really am partial to the Cobra, I just like the style and the superformance isn't bad either!!

12. corvetteman39

corvetteman39 Karting

Feb 16, 2009
    Bartlesville, OK
    Full Name:
    Robert Bean
  13. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #13 2NA, Feb 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The coupe, while undoubtedly an entertaining piece, would be absolutely miserable on the street. That alloy interior would be reflecting the sun, painfully hot(even with AC) and noisy as hell. I also think the big, shiny wheels look out of scale on the classic design. Finally, the coupe would an obvious fake as the originals are never seen on the street. Of these two choices, I'd go with the roadster. I also think the Superformance build is of higher quality.

15. fat cab

fat cab Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    ST.LOUIS,MO
    Full Name:
    tim c
    #15 fat cab, Feb 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. REMIX

That thing is beautiful. Shame he has to sell it, I sure hope he gets better.

I must get away from having nothing but silver cars in my garage, though. Too many silver cars, and not by choice, only by coincidence. Yes, and it's a bit much with the economy being the way it is. If I were looking to spend that kind of money, I'd be looking at a Ferrariads.com for a 360. I've seen what look to be nice 360s for that price. There's a LOT of stuff on the way up to 90k.

This was just kind of a stopgap until things get better. I have two business deals in the works right now. If one of them goes south, I'm out of the running anyway. Ms. REMIX needs a new floor, too.

Thanks for the responses, people.

RMX

17. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    If you buy that blue coupe you will be my hero forever.

18. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Anyone here know the general price range of the Superformance coupes?

19. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  20. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
  21. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Tim, did your neighbor get any advice from FFR on setting up his car for the track (camber/caster/toe-in settings, etc)?

22. fat cab

fat cab Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    ST.LOUIS,MO
    Full Name:
    tim c
    No or not that I'm aware of, He bought it used.