Tom Leykis, Adam Carolla, Danny Bonaduce all fired! | FerrariChat

Tom Leykis, Adam Carolla, Danny Bonaduce all fired!

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Flash G, Feb 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    For those of you in Southern California who listen to 97.1 and Tom Leykis, Adam Carolla and Danny Bonaduce, apparently they've all been let go from CBS and KLSX is going to a top 40 format.

Tom Leykis among KLSX hosts going off air

The station will switch to a Top 40 music format called 'AMP RADIO.'
    By GARY LYCAN
    SPECIAL TO THE REGISTER
    Comments 131| Recommend 5
    Talk KLSX/97.1 FM will flip to a new Top 40 format called "AMP RADIO" at 5 p.m. Friday, CBS announced Wednesday.
    Current talk show hosts Adam Carolla, the team of Frosty, Heidi & Frank, and Tom Leykis will do their final shows live Friday, with Leykis tossing the switch at 5 p.m. to "AMP RADIO," which will begin with 10,000 songs in a row with limited commercial interruption "or about 28 days of just full-on music," according to Dan Weiner, senior vice president and market manager for CBS radio in Los Angeles.

The format, described as playing "all the hits," will also be online at ampradio.com. Artists will include Justin Timberlake, Beyoncé, Rihanna, T.I., Kanye West, Usher, Britney, Pink, Kelly Clarkson, and Katy Perry, among others.

Running "AMP RADIO" will be Kevin Weatherly, who also programs KROQ-FM and JACK-FM.

"Complementing the station will be an array of events and concerts, an extensive online destination with blogs, music videos, widgets, photo galleries, celebrity gossip reports, in-depth artist pages, an embeddable and multifunctional streaming player, and a platform to create artist-centric radio stations," the CBS announcement said.

While CBS' JACK and KROQ stations target male listeners, "AMP RADIO" will target women 18-49. Competitors would be KIIS-FM, KOST-FM and KBIG-FM (104.3MYfm).

While Carolla, Leykis, Heidi-Frosty-Frank are leaving CBS, there was no immediate word on their future plans. A CBS spokeswoman declined to comment on contracts other than to say "they are all different."

No word yet on who will be part of the new lineup after the first 28 days. The format has been in test mode on JACK-FM's HD2 channel. Current KLSX Programming Director Jack Silver is leaving CBS, a company spokeswoman said.

2. nocturne1

nocturne1 Formula 3

Sep 8, 2004
    Foothill Ranch, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Used to listen to 97.1 almost non-stop until Howard left to Sirius. From the moment I got Sirius, I've never put my radio back to FM.

3. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    Well I guess that's one less station that I'll listen to. KLSX, that used to be for Classics, which is the music that they used to play. I'm betting that some of those guys will pop up on some other stations soon. Carrola used to be on KROQ, Leykis used to be on KFI, radio stations have always played musical chairs, it just continues on.

4. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

Somehow I expect that Leykis will be broadcasting again sometime soon.

5. cbstd

cbstd Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Over the course of my 30 years in broadcasting, there has been one constant: Get rid of the humans. Jack for Women or what ever they are calling this new format was inevitable. I should have known something was up at KLSX, they were not running any TV ads during this sweeps period.

Scott

6. deb1ie

deb1ie Rookie

Feb 19, 2009
    I love that 97.1 is gearing their new format to women! I can't think of a more fitting reason for ending a despicable show and a despicable man. Here's to pregnancy! Here's to alimony, child support and all those stupid men who continue to keep this world well-populated just because they have to scratch their itch! Ding, dong, the "Professor" is dead!

7. sf_hombre

sf_hombre Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2008
    Stimulus Bill
    Full Name:
    Don
    My, my, my. Leykis strike a nerve, did he sweetie?

8. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Best tongue-in-cheek post yet about what's wrong with people in our state.

9. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    America RIP. This is a sad day indeed :( 97.1 offered more hope than a community organizer...

10. NORTY

NORTY Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2008
    CARLSBAD, CA, USA,
    Full Name:
    NORTY
    This could be the same chick that was caught (via video tape) peeing on Tom's porch...

11. f355jimv

f355jimv Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2008
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Sounds like she is bitter!

+1 for Tom and I would count on him being back on the radio.

12. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    there are many "DJbot" stations in LA. With indie1031 going off the air a month ago, it is now just a horrid landscape. KROQ has not had a new song in about two years and the 50+ age'd morning guys Kevin and Bean are as irrelevant as ever :(

I remember the old KLSX commercials they played on TV just before the format switch years ago.

RIP:
    KNAC
    INDIE
    Pirate
    Arrow
    GrooveRadio

and countless others.

13. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    I still have a Pirate Radio t-shirt :D

14. Il Vecchio

Il Vecchio F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Near Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    ...including the two biggest losses (IMO): KMET,and 93 KHJ [Boss Radio]

15. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I forgot 95.9 went christian :/ The original KDAY also went away.

So there really is no rock or alternative station in LA playing anything current.

16. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    Current rock? Is there such a thing?

17. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    contrary to popular belief gnr, metallica, rush, ac/dc and plenty hard rock bands have put out albums

18. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    But with the ipod possibility in every car now, who needs radio anymore? You can now be your own DJ, all the time.

19. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    That's what makes this new "AMPRadio" format, which replaced the FM Talk format on 97.1 so unnecessary. They claim that this new station will be like your "ipod on shuffle". If I want to hear my ipod on shuffle, I'll put my ipod on shuffle! I don't need another radio station that does that.

20. nocturne1

nocturne1 Formula 3

Sep 8, 2004
    Foothill Ranch, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    And the last thing anyone wants to listen to is someone else's ipod on shuffle....

21. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    AMEN!

especially when there are three other stations doing the same thing. I don't want to hear Stevie Nicks followed by Nirvana

22. FastRed355

FastRed355 Formula 3

Oct 3, 2003
    Westwood
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I don't mind someone elses I Pod shuffle.
    If they have contemporary people I get exposed to some new music.

23. BelHeir

BelHeir Rookie

Sep 11, 2007
    LOL, ske1ze! That man has helped me stay away from women like you.

If you're mad, we're doing something right!

24. toddjw73

toddjw73 F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2004
    Nor-Cal
    Full Name:
    Todd Westbrook
    Pirate Radio is one of the greatest stations ever! It was all I could get when I lived in the Crappy High Desert. Sick of top 40 CRAP, Pirate was a GODSEND for me. Also won Dramarama tickets from them at 2am. It was my 1st real concert, And I still remember it well.

Up here I try my best to stay away from the radio and just toss in a CD. I use my iPod for my gym workout. FM Radio is not what it used to be. And like TestShootCom posted, I don't want to hear Stevie Nicks followed by Nirvana either.

25. Mondog1

Mondog1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2006
    Philly burbs
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Danny Bonaduce is back home here in Philly. I've been listening to his show and he does a very good job. Sucks to be you. since you lost him but it's great for me.