FI Transmiision oil | FerrariChat

FI Transmiision oil

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Modena 360, May 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Modena 360

Modena 360 Rookie

Feb 12, 2004
    Central Pa
    Full Name:
    Tom
    My F1 light and the engine light came on in my 360 and I checked the F1 tank and there wasn't any oil on the stick.
    Can I use a diffrent type of oil other than SHell Donax TX? If so what kind?
    Thanks,
    Tom

2. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    You can use a towing or competition grade auto trans fluid that is not mineral based.

I use castrol transmax. It's green though, so if you want to keep the red colour of Donax Tx you should look for it. Don't use the Sx though, it's really for steering pumps only and a bit light duty for the F1 system.

You can use Tx in the steering though, it's simply of excessive quality, but for ease and safety in the race team I only carry the Tx rated stuff.

3. ferrarilou

ferrarilou Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    US
    Full Name:
    Lou Menditto
    In searching through old threads, this one matched my own question most closely. I was wondering if anyone has found additional good alternatives? Doing some web searches it seems that Shell Donax TX is compliant with the Dexron III specification from GM. Since there are a lot of sources of Dexron III fluids here in the US, I was thinking that any of these would be fine. Does this sound reasonable?

4. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    yes, but be sure you use a high performance grade especially for towing or extreme use. A lower grade may foam or simply lose it's hydraulic properties in the F1 system, causing erratic shifting.

5. hamdog

hamdog Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2005
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Hamdog
    Where can I buy this stuff? I'm in the US

6. hrbrendan

hrbrendan Rookie

Apr 18, 2006
    NY
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    Anyone ever figure out a place to buy this or something comparable either online or in the US? Thanks.

-Brendan

7. GreatWhiteNorth

Jan 10, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Need to find some Donax TX in Norcal. Anyone know where other than the dealer which is not close by? Is there an alternative fluid, havent been able to find a definateive answer on the chat.