456gt raced hard on Japanise racetrack | FerrariChat

456gt raced hard on Japanise racetrack

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by bang456, Feb 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bang456

bang456 Rookie

Nov 19, 2008
    Stavanger, Norway
    Full Name:
    Pål Flemming Bang
  2. Intheflesh

Intheflesh Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Salem NH
    Full Name:
    John T
    wow... the 456 really was holding on pretty good at the begining.

awesome video.

3. thibaut

thibaut Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Thibaut A.
    Video is very nice indeed.

However, I am very very surprised that the 456 could stay ahead of an F40 for more than a lap.

Puzzling.

Cheers

4. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    ....perhaps the F40 was the clone Mitsubishi from SE Asia.......

5. Dave 456

Dave 456 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Dave Simons
    Not that I've ever tracked mine - I have something much less expensive to race - but I've always felt that the 456 is really quite nimble. That said, the guy driving the 456 is much better than the other drivers - he has the best lines and uses the balance of the car to advantage in corner entry & exit. Also the 456 gets the power down very well out of corners - the ZF diff is great.

6. bang456

bang456 Rookie

Nov 19, 2008
    Stavanger, Norway
    Full Name:
    Pål Flemming Bang
    I agree with Dave 456.
    The 456 driver looks calm and collected and drives the “wheels” of the car as we say in Norway. It is Just fantastic in my mind and shows the full potential of the 456 GT. But it also shows the 456 GT weakness : It`s Wight in this company of cars. That makes the brakes fade away. You clearly see the other cars gaining during braking. You see almost all cars except the F40 passes during wonderful “kamakazee” brakes maneuvers and therefore most of the other drivers gets sideways and rub off speed both in and out of corners. If you look at the F40 you see no drifts at all, just a little side-kick when he puts the accelerator down. I do not think he uses the full potential of the car at all. That said I personally find it difficult to control a 4 wheel drift in a turbocharged car because of the power cut of the turbo-lagg/cut-off when you go on and off the accelerator during the corner to balance the drift because off the obstructions of other cars.

Paul

7. Dave 456

Dave 456 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Dave Simons
    Looking at that video a couple of times, I'd guess that the 456 runs out of tyres (ie overheats the tyres) at about the same time as the brakes go off. That 456 is probably working its tyres the hardest of any car there. If it is on the OE Bridgestones or Pirelli Pzero, I'd not be surprised, not convinced that either are great track tyres.

"drive the wheels" - what a good expression, consider it borrowed for future use!

I agree about the turbocharged cars - the last I drove was a Lancia Delta Integrale (about 300HP), it always seemed to be off boost and bogged down or hitting the rev limiter - rally gearing on a track I guess. Some guys seem to do OK though..