Gerard-Perragaux Minute Hand Repair | FerrariChat

Gerard-Perragaux Minute Hand Repair

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Drew Altemara, Feb 23, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    The minute hand on my Gerard-Perragaux watch is lose. In fact, if you move your arm you can make it move. I realize I can send it to the NA factory repair center in PA but last time I sent it there for cleaning and repair they had it for over 3 months.

I was wondering if any good local watch repair would be better. Not the guy in the mall but one from a fine jewlery store.

Any comments?

2. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    I guess it all depends on whether the hand is just not seated on the shaft all the way or if the internals are broken. Any watchmaker can reset the hand but anymore than that I think you want an authorized (or at least very experienced with the brand) service center.

3. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    An 8-12 week turn around is actually very good. There are stories of APs and Pateks taking 6 months or more, but that was a while ago, hopefully things are better. Do youself a favor, send it to the factory repair center. There may be a few good watch makers out there, but I've seen the work of hacks on great watches, and rarely did the owner save in either time or money as several sent their watches to the factory service center to repair what the hack did. A friend had a watch ruined by an independent that did not properly presure proof his watch. Water got into it and it was a mess. I just don't trust my watches to anyone other than the factory service center.

Best regards,
    Dino

4. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    That was true about 6 years ago, Mr. Jarrod took care of that problem long ago. Of course it is all about who you know and your history with the company (just like with italian car companies :) ), my Pateks usually take about 72 hours or so turn-around depending on what is desired.

5. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    The watch internals appear to be functioning fine. It appears the minute hand is just not seated on the shaft. Its completely my fault. I dropped it and it landed flat down on the crystal on a wooden floor. I was relieved to see the crystal was not broken or scratched but then realized the minute hand appeared to have been jarred loose. I think I'm going to send it to someone here locally that does regional Rolex watch repair with instructions that if it is just reseating of the hand to go ahead but if it is more just charge me for the inspection and send it back where upon I can send it to the service center in PA.

Appreciate all your comments.

Drew