I have to ask a really stupid question..... | FerrariChat

I have to ask a really stupid question.....

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by LarryF, Feb 25, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LarryF

LarryF Karting

May 28, 2008
    and I fully expect to get flamed but here we go......

I have reached an agreed price for a 575m. However, the sticking point in the deal is the PPI. The seller is NOT refusing to allow me one but is giving me a hard time about the location of the PPI. I have tried unsuccessfully to get one close to where the car is located but the mechanics refuse to do it based on fear of getting sued. Seems some precedent has been set in the past in California.

So, the dealer handling the transaction said they could do it. I have the service records to date, belts were already done and our main Fchatter "Taz" aka Terry has also looked them over. Should I allow the dealer to do it knowing they have a vested interest, play even tougher hardball with the seller ( I've already beaten him up on price) by threatening to walk away over the deal?

BTW, the car is awesome! Ketel was my on the spot checker!

What say ye fellow F'chatters?

Thanks,
    Larry

2. h00kem

h00kem Guest

Dec 15, 2004
    Texas
    If the dealer has Ferrari certified mechanics, has the right toolds and a carries good reputation I wouldn't have any problem with them doing the PPI. On the other hand if the dealer is just another used car lot then then forget it. At this point in the transaction the PPI is for your peace of mind to know what you are getting into with the car and not principally to renegotiate the price.

3. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Let the dealer do it, and make darnn sure you pay him a fee for it, and here is why.

You state that others are afraid of being sued, so your jurisdiction must have some law that is friendly to you in this regard.

Clearly this dealer has a conflict of interest (which can be used against him later), and he also has a DUTY to you to give you an honest PPI. If you pay for his services on the PPI and he screws up, you open multiple avenues of recovery against him. Again, make sure you pay him for the PPI.

An authorized Ferrari dealer can't afford to fail to disclose a problem, if you have paid them to find it.

4. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    I had a bad experience with one dealer in California: Ferrari - Maserati of Silicon Valley.
    If it is the same one PM me and I will give you the details.

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have spent a good deal of my professional life in Ferrari franchised dealers.

Not having the car inspected by a non interested 3rd party is foolish in the extreme.

I cannot help but wonder what there is about having a prancing pony sign on the wall and factory trained mechanics that will make the any more honest than anyone else. I can tell you first hand it does not.

6. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    ouch

7. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    While, as Brian mentioned, the quality of the PPI may not be up to snuff, there is a liability that the dealer will have to assume should they do the PPI and not discover things (as mentioned by Driven550PFB). Of course, collecting on that might be an issue - but that's a different ball of wax.

You can argue it either way - and I don't think there's a right answer necessarily.

8. DJW

DJW Karting

Oct 19, 2001
    NJ
    IMHO

if a problem appears down the road, you will have a tough time proving that it existed prior to the PPI.

9. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

One of the important things in my thinking was that he mentioned that other were reluctant to give a PPI, because they had been sued. In that state, they seem to take the inspections seriously and the obligation to give a meaningful report. So, by paying the dealer, you put him in a position of having a duty to find and disclose things to you.

I agree that there could be a problem of proof, but some things are easy to show.

10. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I think the PPI should be third party. That said if the car was $10k less would you buy it without the ppi right now? No? how about $20k less? At some point you will buy it almost sight unseen. That price is "your" market price. There is the price with a ppi and a price without one. Call it the cost of unknown repairs price. It is their best interest to get you to a third party to close the deal otherwise "your" market price stands.

11. CraigFL

CraigFL Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2001
    Panama City, FL
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Why not have them send it to your nearby dealer in NY for a PPI and if you accept it, pay them and if you don't, send it back at your expense.

12. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

#12 348SStb, Feb 26, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
    If they don't want to allow a PPI by a third party, tell them they do not know the Ferrari business and walk away. You might even show them a bank check before you walk away just to let them know how foolish they are. When a selling dealer suggests having a PPI done at the selling dealership, it is a suggestion made only by the artful architects of deception.

13. LarryF

LarryF Karting

May 28, 2008
    Thanks for the responses, I've been dealing with Charlie Miles who is the sales manager. When he gets back from vacation, we'll see what happens. I'll keep ya updated!

I must say that this has been a very interesting process when I compare it to my GTO purchases over the years. Buying collectible GTO's is a helluva less headache!

14. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    #14 oss117, Feb 26, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
    A word to the wise: some dealers may be honorable but I know others who are not and that is a fact I can prove.
    If anyone thinks that FNA will stand behind the buyer because he or she went to an official Ferrari dealer.....then I have news for that person.