Which V-8 car will become the most desired | FerrariChat

Which V-8 car will become the most desired

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by DonJuan348, Feb 25, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Which V-8 car will become the most desired?

1. 308 GT4

2. 308 GTB/S

3. Mondial

4. 328

5. 348

6. 355

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    With everyone talking about how these cars have dropped in value plus the ones which have become known as the "stepchildren" ...when things turn around and if Ferrari stops flooding the market and/or stops making the gate shifter, which one do you think will become highly desired ?

from the 308,GT4, 328 ,Mondial, 348 and the 355

my vote is the 328

2. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    No doubt, 355. It will be an icon.

3. cig1

cig1 F1 Rookie

May 3, 2005
    In front of you
    No doubt, Challenge Stradale. It is already an icon :D

G

4. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1 - No doubt!

5. 97spiderman

97spiderman Karting

Dec 15, 2008
    Sunny Buffalo, NY
    Full Name:
    JohnAG
    Gotta be the 355, many positives, exhaust note, .........

6. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Different cars will be desired for different reasons.

F355 because it's the end of and era.

F430 six speed manual because if it's reliability.

360CS because it is a Ferrari in the core sense.

7. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    +1

Should've made this a poll

8. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.
    Without doubt the 360 CS. They will forever be.

If the F40 counts, my money is on that :D

9. effer

effer Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    near Montréal
    Full Name:
    François R.
    I would be tempted to say all of them!

In the future ( 10 + years ) these cars will be very rare and expensive. Nowadays we are gifted to have the opporunity to buy them at such low prices ...

Pristine 308, 328, Mondial and 348 will become rarer and rarer, they will appreciate a lot.

The 355, because it represents the last evolution of the 308 line will be highly desired; as nice as a 308 but as quick as a 360! Kind of irressistible!

It will be fun to open again this thread in ten years! Some will be laughing and some others will cry. Todays are times to buy!

10. OCFerrari

OCFerrari Karting

Jan 20, 2009
    Mondial 3.2 Cab, for sure!

11. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Ignoring the supercars (288GTO, F40), I'm going with 355 too.

12. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    I agree with Challenge Stradale.

13. OCFerrari

OCFerrari Karting

Jan 20, 2009
    But seriously, I agree in 10 years, we will look back now and realize what great deals we currently have and will continue to have for a couple of years (good deals now, but even better 6 months from now, and 12 months from now, IMO). There will be a lot of forces driving the prices up over the long term, though:

(1) Ferraris have historically been "speculator" cars which rise and fall in value. The really expensive ones drag up the lower end ones in an up market.

(2) The world economy has tanked, there is wage and price deflation on just about everything, including these cars.

(3) The US govt is and will be printing hundreds of billions of dollars over the next few years. As soon as the deflationary spiral ends (in maybe 2-3 years), we are going to be hit with inflation like we've never seen. It's a mathematical certainty (to put it in Ferrari terms, imagine what would happen to the value of any model if suddenly 10,000 more of the exact same hit the market). You can't flood the market with anything, including dollars, and have it hold value.

(4) When inflation hits, all assets will take a lot more dollars to buy. I could easily see 3X8 cars being well over $100,000 10 years from now.

Now, as to what models? If more people actually drove these cars, I think the 328 would lead the pack. Like most cars, the mid to late 80s were a good time, they had finally figured out effective and non-barbarian smog stuff, the bumper laws were finally relaxed so styling was much better, and the production methods and materials seemed to be better for most cars.

The 3.2 drivetrain seems to be thought of by most as one of the most reliable of the V8 cars.

Maybe the earlier cars for their rawness, particularly the carb'd ones and particularly if they become smog exempt in more states.

But since so many of these cars are speculator/collector bought, and not really driven, I guess reliability and ease of maintenance aren't huge factors?

My list, just for fun:

1. 328
    2. 308 QV
    3. Early 308
    4. 355
    5. 360

But the rising tide will raise all ships, including Mondial, etc.

Also, that's 10 years from now, a long time. There is going to be a lot of price depreciation, some ups and downs and some pain before then.

14. targanero

targanero Formula 3

May 31, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Simon
    #14 targanero, Feb 25, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
    A few simple questions. Which is highly desirable today? Which were highly desirable in '04, '05, '06 when money was easily available to almost everyone? I'm not sure if the choices listed will ever be highly desirable. Of course, this is a completely subjective poll to begin with.....

Of all v8 road cars however, F40s, 288s, and stradales should prove smart investments 15+ years out.

15. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I must be drinking some different Kool Aid than everyone else because I cannot see the 355 appreciating in time as the classic it certainly should be. Main reason being that it is such a pricey little machine to maintain compared to it's earlier relatives. The performance is certainly there, but at a price. Do not misunderstand me here because I love the 355 and believe it has the sweetest V8 song of all the V8s ever, but in 20 years they are going to need something, what I don't know but it will not be cheap and these engines are a bit more than most hobby mechanics can tackle with good results. I certainly believe it is the best looking of the V8 cars ever produced, but boy it is going to be interesting to see what happens in the next 20 years with them. 308s and 328s are very easy to work on but the performance is not nearly that of a 355.

Which will be more iconic in 20 years, the 308 or the 355? Who knows. I say the 355 will go through a peroid of being a 'wannabe' car much like what the 308 series went through, and then it will evolve into a proper classic and level off and be super cool again. Ultimately I bet the 355 stays on top of the desirability list, but there will be a time that it might not be.

16. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Wasn't a choice.

17. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    +1 on these

18. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Oh whoops, reading>me.

I choose 355.

19. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    +1 (assuming we disregard the 288 and F40)

spot on

20. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #20 Bullfighter, Feb 25, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
    F40 and 288 GTO, followed by the 328 and 308. After that, I think none of them will be very sought after in the longer term.

The more recent Ferraris have electronics that are already becoming dated, and are increasingly becoming disposable. The California is a perfect example of a car that will be almost sale-proof once all the electronic garbage starts failing. For the 355 and onward, you're pretty much placing a bet on Ferrari's long-term propietary electronic parts support for their cars. I would say the best bet is to use them up and enjoy them now.

21. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    As a 328 owner I hope that is the model that becomes the most desirable of the V-8's... but the 355's are very beautiful and have super performance... so its a toss up between the two.

I think the 328 is the more classic car... traditional sports car ... 355 is high performance and a bit more luxury... the service cost on the 355 are a killer!

22. enzokidd

enzokidd Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2009
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Shaunt
    the stradale and the 355 six speed

23. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I diasagee with the 328 crowd...I'd put my money on the early euro steel-bodied 308 GTB's.

My '83 QV GTS is one of those pristine 308's, but I never, ever expect it to reach $$$ classic status because of aesthetic compromises mandated by early federalization of US cars....I'm with the 328 crowd on that; overall, it's a better-integrated design than the injected, federalized U.S. 308's.

The Euro 308 front end is without equal.

24. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    308 GTB fiberglass

dry sump first, and then wet sump (maybe cost 10% less for wetsump)....maybe 400 WW left (if lucky) of the 712

last carbed car, easy to drive, easy to maintain....a true non electronic car. Pure driving car, already classic design, and the most pretty

All these 360cs, 355s, the electronics of these cars will cost "LARGE" it will out weight the price of the total package.

25. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    The question is how do you determine which car is desired? Is it the greatest percentage appreciation from today's prices?

If so, this puts the newer cars at a big disadvantage as they will have to depreciate like any new car before appreciating.

I would define it differently, however. One definition would be the model which everyone oohhs and ahhhs over at a car show, and the one which garners the most envious looks from the other Ferrari owners at the same show.
    By that definition it would have to be a toss-up between the 288GTO and the F40. I would lean toward the GTO. Rarer, better looking (IMO), more comfortable, and it has those three magical letters in its name.

But those will be seven-figure cars someday again. The buyer of an F40 is probably not shopping for a Mondial 8, or even a used 355 Spyder for that matter. So let us throw those two jewels out of the mix, the F40 and GTO really are in another world compared to "normal" V8's.

The remaining cars would appeal to different buyers for different reasons:
    A. The DIY car nut: 328. Servicable by the home mechanic. Robust and relatively simple.
    B. The track-day racer boy: 430 Scuderia. All the power to satisfy the speed freak and all the electronics to make him feel like a hero.
    C. The caretaker, preserver of history: 308 Fiberglass. Rare, very good performer considering its age.
    D. The "value" hunter: 355. Wants the most "Ferrari experience" for the money. The 355 has the looks, the sound, the engine to thrill. That they made thousands of them won't help resale prices, making it the bargain for the first-timer or enthusiast on a budget. At least until you have to pull the engine out for servicinig...