Rear Window Problem | FerrariChat

Rear Window Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by lotusk, Feb 25, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK
    Just noticed.............my rear window on my 355 is flaking some kind of crystal stuff from the outside....................can scrape it with my finger nail and this stuff flakes off.........the window looks a right mess.................anybody know what's going on? ..................or how to make it look good....have asked on the 355/348 forum but have had no response..............time for a new window?

2. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    I assume the window is glass hence not the problem.
    Is this flaky stuff from a disintegrating film covering the entire window or limited only to a section of the window where a substance might have been applied?

3. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK
    the whole window is flaking away................i had it tinted with film but this was applied on the inside...........what is going on.....I really do not want to put a new window in there

4. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    #4 DGS, Feb 26, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
    I'm not familiar with the structure of the UK's style of safety glass, but I'd heard that some older forms of safety glazing have been known to de-laminate after a while, resulting in that "flaking" effect.

I wouldn't have thought that would be the case with a 355, but if the UK dictates "special" UK glass (the way the US requires DOT approved glass), your windows might be different from other markets.

Edit: A quick google comes up with reports from NZed and Aust about moisture causing windows to delaminate.

5. anthonyh

anthonyh Rookie

Oct 13, 2008
    If the damage has occurred in the corner of the window, then if you can manage to paste a quality checking sticker (basically appears in the new car) it will give a new look to your car. But if the damage has occurred in the centre of the window then sorry, you have to change the entire window glass.