Genesis Coupe. Crazy. | FerrariChat

Genesis Coupe. Crazy.

Discussion in 'New England' started by darthnefas, Feb 26, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. darthnefas

darthnefas Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2007
    Taunton MA
    Full Name:
    Allen...
    I was kinda excited about what I was hearing about Hyundai's new Coupe. Now that I've driven one, I cannot believe this is a Hyundai. A fully loaded, Brembo brake, 2.8 paddle shifter auto in white.

All there, limited slip. The traction kicks in like crazy with everything you do until you turn it off and the fury is released. It sits low and flat no matter how much you push it and I'm just in awe.

2. manta147

manta147 Karting

Sep 7, 2006
    seekonk,mass
    Full Name:
    carter petter
    Hi Allen,
    We met last summer and drove up to Tutto. How's the fit and finish and interior on that?I haven't seen one in real life yet,just in pics.Also,are they going for over sticker?
    Carter

3. Lizak187

Lizak187 Rookie

Jan 14, 2009
    Lynnfield MA
    Full Name:
    Steven L.
    #3 Lizak187, Feb 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    this past weekend i checked out the genesis sedan - need to replace the boss's A4. i was way impressed with the fit, finish, and materials. way above expectations, and, imo, totally on par with all the euro makers.

doody.

5. darthnefas

Jun 21, 2007
    Taunton MA
    Full Name:
    Allen...
    #5 darthnefas, Feb 26, 2009
    How's it going! I personally love it. I really don't have a good car to compare it too. It handles well, is aggressive, and it's just a driving experience. After I was done driving I realized I didn't even check out the heated seats or any of the toys. It's been forever since I did that. Just drove and enjoyed the sounds and the speed. This car could've easily done 160. It got to 80 before I realized it. It could've done a burnout in second gear. I just didn't expect it from a Hyundai.

Hyundai really doesn't know how to sell these cars when it comes to price and their is so little mark-up in them to begin with. They just don't have Lexus mentality yet, which is good news for the consumers who want to take advantage.

I remember showing the Sedan to allot of people, mostly BMW and Mercedes guys, and all of them being really impressed. I was just done with a 740il when I test drove a 4.6 and I had to get out and check the badging on the car. It felt better than the 740! The DIS drive system could be used by a fourth grader versus i-drive which required at least 4 years of specialized college training just to sync the cell.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. lucky6600

lucky6600 Rookie

Nov 8, 2007
    Cromwell CT
    Full Name:
    Ching
    The way I see how good the car is might be little different than other people. I won’t buy any first year production vehicle. I usually test drive few used one and to see what’s the refinement after few months of wearing and tearing. Personally speaking, at this point, I still won’t buy a Hyundai. Because you know what, check out their safety rating. It’s just my little two cents.

7. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Generally I agree with the first year thing...but when the STi was released I couldn't wait, bought the first one to hit the lot and it's been virtually flawless ever since.

The Genesis seems pretty legit, I'd for sure consider one if I was in the market for that type of car.

8. ScuderiaShield

ScuderiaShield Karting

Sep 20, 2008
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I saw the coupe at the NAIAS and wasn't impressed with the materials and fit and finish on the interior. I know those press/marketing cars take a beating, but even the quality of the plasiwood was pretty poor. The exterior looks pretty damn good though. Just don't get it in Yellow.

9. Epik

Epik Rookie

Apr 9, 2008
    #9 Epik, Feb 27, 2009
    Mags are comparing it to the Infiniti G37 Coupe which costs $15,000 more and it's coming out on top.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/automotive_news/4306387.html

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=142826?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..1&mktcat=enabler&AID=10364102&PID=3323800&kw=N&synpartner=edmunds&mktid=cj260233

The 0-60 times have been all over the board. Motor Trend got 5.5 but Edmunds got 6.4. In any case, I think they all used regular fuel so it should be quicker with premium.

The design is quite nice. Makes the G37 looks a bit too chubby.

The new Hyundais are all pretty much 5-star crash vehicles. Plus you can't go wrong with 5-year bumper to bumper and 10-year powertrain warranties.

The interesting thing with Hyundai and the Genesis Coupe is that they invited tuners to come and take measurements early on to get started on building the after market for these cars. It seems like Hyundais attitude is to be very mod-friendly with these cars and it's likely you'll be able to mod them and keep the warranty unlike most other companies.

10. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #10 ryalex, Feb 27, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
    I saw a yellow one in LA yesterday on the freeway. Looks better than Tiburon, to be honest I thought it was an Infiniti G37 at first glance.

Someone mentioned comparing it to BMW fit - one thing I've noticed about the new 3 series (and even many Z4s I see on the road) is that the panel gaps are huge, especially on the 3 convertibles.

11. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Hmm... have been thinking about getting a sedan for thrash around track days and comfy long drives even tho the F250 is very safe and HUGE...

Generally i agree. First year usual has growing pains.

[/QUOTE]Personally speaking, at this point, I still won’t buy a Hyundai. Because you know what, check out their safety rating. It’s just my little two cents.[/QUOTE]

And the safety rating of a Ferrari is ????

12. darthnefas

Jun 21, 2007
    Taunton MA
    Full Name:
    Allen...
    I usually buy a car at 20,000 miles. Everything that is going to happen to the car has already happened and I'm not big on warranty because I end up changing stuff and I know from experience that roadside assistance will laugh at you if you have anything changed. For some reason they don't know what an Optima battery is. <shrug>

The Type R will be coming out later this year. It has no luxury items (no cruise, no heated seats), but all the performance stuff, like Brembos, track suspension. Only comes in 6 speed 4 cylinder turbo, which is the 4B11 of Mitsu EVO fame. A couple of 4 cylinders are already making over 360hp with just a bigger turbo. I'm going to be waiting for that and it may see some track days.

13. kerbie

kerbie Formula Junior

Jul 2, 2004
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Kevin Carbotte
    sorry to dig out an old thread, but i'm curious what other opinions people have now that the car has been out for a few months.

I ordered one in May and expect to arrive mid July. got the 2.0t GT (Canada's answer to the Track). This will be my first new car and i'm very excited to take delivery.

14. darthnefas

Jun 21, 2007
    Taunton MA
    Full Name:
    Allen...
    #14 darthnefas, Jun 25, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
    I think that is a fair reason to dig up a thread.

So far they've been selling like crazy for the type of car it is.

We sold a V6 track and a 2 liter track, which went to a new friend of mine and tracks are hard to come by. He absolutely loves it and AutoXed it immediately and said he absolutely loved it on the track. He has so far ordered the exhaust and a couple of other odds and ends. Rims are next.

None have returned with a single problem and Hyundai is currently number 1 in non-luxury initial quality and 4 overall behind Porsche, Lexus, and Cadillac.

I think it's a fine choice and you should have a ton of fun.

[​IMG]

15. gamby

gamby Karting

Aug 17, 2006
    I haven't noticed many on the road yet, but I definitely believe that the Genesis (coupe and sedan) are Hyundai's "coming out" as a real contender of a car company.

The sedan seems to be a great car. The specs on the coupe are really impressive, as well.

16. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Sedan is high on my list. I thought the fit and finish was outstanding, and my DD is a Lexus.

17. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    That car in both coupe and sedan drew more crowds at the car show circuit last year. I'd tell people how nice it was and if they hadn't seen in person they'd look at me like i was nuts. The interior on the sedan with the hand stitched leather inserts and the computer in the center console is one of the nicest looking i've ever seen.

The coupe looks great and has 300 plus HP.

They've raised the bar on price and quality/performance IMO.

Nice car.

18. darthnefas

Jun 21, 2007
    Taunton MA
    Full Name:
    Allen...
    Not to mention 4 in Initial Quality and I think Genesis won.

19. karc

karc Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2003
    Test drove a Genesis Coupe v6 and Nissan 370Z today. The Genesis was nice but I felt it should be faster. I really liked the Z but the fact it has no real trunk puts me off. Guess I'll keep my truck a bit longer for a daily.

20. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have to say that a Genesis sedan MAY replace my '08 E350 when it's time to move on.... everything
    I read is so generally good... but have to drive one first.

Jedi

21. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The Koreans are begining to get the handle on it. Nissan and Mazda should watch out when KIA finally make a sports coupe. Their cars keep getting better and better. I worked for a car-dealership for two years and got to be behind the wheel of everything we ever got. Driving the Tiburon, I always thought "this could be more" but it had a pretty good platform on which Hyundai could get their barrings on building a decent, and afordable sports car. It seems like they really hit the nail on the head with the Genesis. So much excitement was around it's launch. I personally always loved what Nissan did with the Z. The 370Z is going to be this thing's big rival.

_J

22. billh

billh Karting

May 2, 2002
    central mass
    Full Name:
    Bill Henderson
    God, I just cant get the 87 hyundai excel out of my memory. POS.

No matter how nice they try and make it, still think it is going to age poorly compared to the Hondas and Toyotas.

23. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Kind of embarrassing for Infiniti if you ask me to even be in that situation.

24. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    i can't get over the Chryslers of the 80's, total POS and aged horribly. Sadly, Chrysler has not progressed that much while Hyundai has drastically improved their product.

25. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Since owning a 2002 Kia Sedona I just can't think that the Korean car mfrs are on par with Honda or Toyota. I could see them making a run at the Mazda / Mitsu type companies, but Honda's quality control and engineering are incredible. The Genesis coupe does look really nice to me though.
    :)
    BT