Best shocks for a GT4?? | FerrariChat

Best shocks for a GT4??

Discussion in '308/328' started by Anthony bentley, Feb 27, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Anthony bentley

Anthony bentley Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Anthony Bentley
    Just bought 78 GT4 with 29,000 miles from new totally original and but will need recommisioning, the shocks are seized. Whats the best to put on (don't want to modify the car at all).

Best Regards and thanks in advance
    Anthony

2. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    Congratulations Anthony on your purchase!

My springs and shocks were pretty much worn out too, and I have changed them with units from QA-1. They make a HUGE difference and really transformed the car. HIGHLY recommended.

Use the search for QA-1, and don't forget to search for "paper weights" either (these are extensions to the QA-1 shocks that better clear the front A-arms.

I've used 300 lbs springs all around. Most people (with GTB/S) go 50 softer on the back than on the front.

Do this mod, you won't regret it!

Hans

3. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Anthony,
    For new, call T Rutland. (1 800 638-1444) He has kits all set and ready to go to refresh these cars. Siezed shocks are common. During the decades, the internal rubber bits break up and clog the control valves. You can get them shipped any way you want, so you can have them tomorrow.

Don't discard the old shocks, they can be beautifully rebuilt by True Choice (http://www.truechoicekoniracingservices.com/menu.html) (888-566-4722 )They're a factory KONI service center, and restore the shocks with the latest factory pieces, and dyno test them. IMHO, I've used them, and purchased new, so it's a personal preference. If you want to keep the original pieces on the car etc., although shocks aren't serial numbered. The lead time is a week or three depending on their workload, but you can call them to get an honest estimate. They can rush for you, but, it depends on other factors. They have been very upfront and accurate with me in the past on scheduling.

One other techno tidbit, on GT4's, I recall just the front shock has a welded bar reinforcing the spring perch. The new replacements I've seen don't have that. Maybe it's an old design that KONI did away with. For originality, I'd rebuild those with that bar.

I have a brand new pair of GT4 rear with the Ferrari PN 104441 stamped into them that I'd sell. PM me if your interested.

Congrats on your new purchase. I've owned mine for 23 years, and still love it!