Why aren't Rolladens more popular in the US? | FerrariChat

Why aren't Rolladens more popular in the US?

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by ryalex, Feb 28, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #1 ryalex, Feb 28, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
    When my pops was in Germany during the 90's, their house and about every other house and small business building in Western Germany and Southern Holland had Rolladens. I love them - security, keeps house cool and dark (esp great for sleeping in the morning or napping). If/when I build my own place I'll put them in (there is a dealer here in Vegas). http://www.rolladenlv.com/testimonials/rolling-shutters-catterton.php For those who haven't seen them, they're a rolling shutter that is similar to siding material, that come out from the side of the house and interlock over the windows - closed, they look like vinyl siding.

They would be perfect for every house in the American Southeast - hurricane territory... basically in 30 seconds every window in your house is a metal wall. But you never see them. Why? Ever since I first went to Germany I thought for sure that would be a 9 figure industry if it caught on in the USA, but 15 years later it still hasn't.

What's up? Maybe some builders can chime in.

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I see them fairly often in Florida. maybe they only have regional distribution?

3. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I dunno. I think they're also a great alternative to having metal bars over your windows (in any inner city). A little more asthetically pleasing than black iron IMO.

4. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    You don't have Rollläden (<- that's the correct plural if you want to brag with your language skills :D) in the US??? I always thought they were common just about everywhere in the western world... Ryan is right, every house here has them on basically every window. In the small town where I live, there are alone 3 manufacturers of them...

5. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    They are fantastic - I would load my house up with them if available!

6. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    They are based in FL, Miami I think. The main reason they are not more popular is cost. There are less costly methods to hurricane-proof your house down here, from the aluminum panels to the new-fangled carbon fiber screens. Rolladen are at the top of the scale, so I'm told.