BMW is overrated | FerrariChat

BMW is overrated

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Veyronella, Mar 1, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Veyronella

Veyronella Karting

Feb 3, 2009
    Montreal
    When I say BMW is overrated, I'm talking from experience. first I had a little 328 convertible and it was just fine. But then they came out with the X5. Everybody was awed and it seems it was the safest car on the market and bla, bla ,bla...BS!!!!

If I have the new X5 now it's because the first generation X5 was a disaster. the car would turn off on every red light...repairs are costly and the problem was reoccurring.
    but wait, the new one is even worst!!!
    The car is possessed...the Rpms would jump up and down, the whole car moves from side to side and the engine sounds like a rhythmic music and the main screen goes blank.
    But you know what bothers me the most; it's the new, so called, mechanics that know nothing about engines, they just plug the scanner and then they tell you there's nothing wrong with it.
    I had an accident because of this unknown problem and I had to get it towed for them to figure it out!
    but the worst part is when it happened on the highway (417) in the middle of a snow storm last winter; even though I was pressing the gas only the Rpms and gas consumption were going up and the engine sounded like it was gonna explode but the car wasn't accelerating. I had to save myself from a truck coming fast from behind and while the visibility was reduce to the min...I ended up in the ditch for four hours...I was so scared because I was getting covered with snow and I was worried the towing won't find me.

But when I got it towed to the garage for complete shutdown while driving, they figured it out...after 1.5 years I drive that haunted machine...It seems it was the wiring.

2. Veyronella

Veyronella Karting

Feb 3, 2009
    Montreal
    plus, they never actually make anything that looks nice. Everything is so the same and boring. Where's aerodynamic, where's exotic, where's unique...the only nice one they ever made was the 850...but then they discontinued it...next year I'm going Cayenne, or maybe "the real Land Rover"...

3. kaz550

kaz550 Formula 3

Jun 21, 2005
    Richmond Hill
    Full Name:
    Zak
    LOL

im gonna bite my tongue here ... have a lot to say, but I'm in a good mood today so ill let it go

4. Ferrariguy2

Ferrariguy2 F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2004
    Naples, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chief
    You clearly need to drive an M6 Convertible.

5. marioz

marioz Formula 3

Nov 21, 2003
    Cedar Mills,Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I can read your mind

6. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Don't judge BMW until you've driven a factory M-tuned car...

7. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    As an owner of two M3's, one now sold, nothing quite performs like an "M-car" on the street....

8. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    No doubt! The best M3 though, is the first one! "Race car dynamics for the streets". :)

9. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    Just like any car manufactuer, there is a lemon in every bunch.

I have a BMW 3 series, and its been pretty good so far.

10. Veyronella

Veyronella Karting

Feb 3, 2009
    Montreal
    you are right. it's just that I fell on two lemons in a row that's why I'm upset. But when I had my first 328 convertible, I never had a problem.

11. Veyronella

Veyronella Karting

Feb 3, 2009
    Montreal
    btw, why did mod lock the F430 tread...I had a lot to say. It was so hilarious.

12. asb9987

asb9987 F1 Rookie

Dec 4, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    A. B.
    #12 asb9987, Mar 1, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
    This thread title makes me angry. BTW, I hear ya on the BMW Technicians hate. 99% of them are dimwitted kids reading off a computer screen. It's tough to find a BMW (or any other authorized dealer) tech that actually has first hand knowledge about the vehicles. It's sad when you go in for service and you are the one telling them what needs to be done *sigh* I bet it inspired confidence from the onlooking customers, lol.

edit: Just realized you're that F430 driving thread poster. I just wasted some time and bandwidth replying to this thread.

13. kaz550

kaz550 Formula 3

Jun 21, 2005
    Richmond Hill
    Full Name:
    Zak
    Rocco at RMP is definitely my vote if you have a problem with your BMW that is out of warranty... if the car has warranty who cares... its not like your paying for it anyways, and u can always get a loaner of equivilant value if u complain enough

14. asb9987

asb9987 F1 Rookie

Dec 4, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    A. B.
    I prefer BimmerSport in Mississauga :) They've treated me very well for the past few years on both my E36 and E46.

15. rosso.corsa

rosso.corsa Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 19, 2008
    Toronto/Markham
    Full Name:
    J Dhillon
    +1. Drive a M6 and your mind will change. Even an M3 or M5 will do, they are amazing cars.

16. F360-1386

F360-1386 Formula 3

Oct 8, 2006
    Markham, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    51216M
    I had good experience with BMW but not X5 but hardly believe it was that bad; it might be just a lemon you got.

M6 - I like it so much too when saw it in the auto show; may be it is my wife's next car to replace her CLK55 AMG this summer

17. wrs46

wrs46 Formula 3

May 19, 2005
    QC, CANADA (&CH, &F)
    Full Name:
    Walter

Germany, 2004 (I was working in Germany at the time): BMW and MB rated #13 and #14 respectively in after-sales customer satisfaction. The legendary "German Quality" has all but vanished...

My son-in-law had an MB 500SL (between 2002 and 2004) and calls it the worst car he's ever had...brakes, electronics etc... - and he's had Mustangs, Ford trucks etc.!!

18. t3kneak

t3kneak Karting

Aug 4, 2008
    London, ON
    Full Name:
    t3kneak
    As a current owner of an m3, and 3 other previous bmw cars I can tell you that nothing drives like an M.

19. Bones2U

Bones2U Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2008
    Ontario
    The M3 was Ok, not as good as I thought it was gonna be. The repairs were expensive and it ate back tires for breakfast. I had to sell it after I got beat at a light by a MazdaSpeed 6, multiple times! I don't like the look of the new one at all and won't be buying another any time soon.

20. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    Hi,
    I found your problem. Put gear into "D" and turn that frown upside down. :)

Just kiddin. BMW's are so-so, you love them or hate them. The "M" series cars are in another league, so you cannot knock them until you've driven them.

21. wrs46

wrs46 Formula 3

May 19, 2005
    QC, CANADA (&CH, &F)
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Are you sure it wasn't the ice on the road? ;)

22. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    As the owner of many BMW's in the past and currently daily driving an 03 M3 with SMG I can say what a POS my car is.:( Maybe I too got a lemon but I seem to hear more and more of these lemons.:( This car has fallen apart on a regular basis since day one.:( My fingers would fall off if I had to type out every problem I've had.:( These problems are only magnified by the piss poor dealers.:( It's incomprehensible to me that a car with all this so called "German engineering" could be this bad and the people who repair them even worse.:( I hate to say this as I've always been a German car owner, It's Lexus time baby! :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

23. sovereign

sovereign Karting

Aug 25, 2008
    Mississauga
    Full Name:
    Michael K
    I'm confused if the sad faces are for BMW or the fact that you have to drive a lexus...

j/k.

Even though I don't like the styling of this new m3, nothing can compare really...

24. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    +100

This is the same case whichever dealer you go to. Alot of these 'kids' are hired (cheap labour...:D) out of school to work at these shops doing menial jobs like dissassembly, CPU checks, and easy fix ups until they get a few years under their belt. The dealer will always have 1 or 2 senior mechanics on hand to oversee everything. And most of the senior mechanics have left and started their own shops anyways.......Its hard to find a good mechanic at the dealer who can take the time and diagnose and repair a problem correctly without having to bring it in twice.

25. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    Unfriggin believeable! I just found out my latest "service engine soon" light is the result of needing new cats again. This will be the fourth time for these quality components.:(

While it's in I'll have them look at my rear view mirror that exploded some acidic liquid all over my centre console and melted a bunch of the finish. Again quality with a capitol "Q". Seeing as my car is now out of warranty I'm having to deal with BMWNA on this mirror thing and it doesn't seem to be going my way so far. It's so frustrating to have these things happen to a car of this caliber.

I have to say though, it is awesome when it's not broken and I never get tired of the way it looks. IMHO the E46 m3 is the last of the good looking cars from BMW.