Tire pressure sensor question. | FerrariChat

Tire pressure sensor question.

Discussion in '360/430' started by hotcello, Mar 1, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hotcello

hotcello Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2007
    New York
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Just got my new set of Strad Wheels. I thought the wheels came off a stradale but it was off a 2008 430 spider. I was reading that there are tire pressure sensors attached to the wheels and was wondering if that was a standar option on the 430 cars. The tires on my wheel are the Bridgestone RE50 (or something like that) and looks like the origional tire from the tread wear. If there are sensors inside, is there a way I can have a monitoring system installed on my 02 360 Modena?
    I guess to be 100% sure if I have the sensors the tires has to come off to check.

2. ferrariblue

ferrariblue Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Cody
    My understanding is that the sensors cannot be used in the Stradale type wheel. The F430 manual says this.
    My F430 has the sensor option, but I have the spoke type wheel.

C-

3. hotcello

hotcello Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2007
    New York
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Thanks for the info, I did not know that.
    I guess no sensor for me:)
    Always thought that cars like these should have standard Tire pressure sensor, it's a safety concern. I even have this on my 02 BMW M3.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ken- All the data from Beru, the maker of the OEM TPMS system, says the system cannot be retrofitted into a car not originally equipped. OEM tire pressure sensors, by the way, are attached to the back of the tire valve in Ferraris.

There are relatively sophisticated and inexpensive aftermarket systems, which can be made to work. One enterprising 348 or 355 owner (forget which) fitted one and had the readout screen for pressures (and temperatures, too) fitted into a spare sunvisor. You can probably find the thread using the search function.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

5. hotcello

hotcello Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2007
    New York
    Full Name:
    Ken

I remember reading in a Japanese auto magazine that you can buy these aftermarket systems for about $600 or so.... was wondering if it works with OEM Ferrari sensors or not. But I guess I don't have the sensors anyway but to be 100% sure the tires got to come off first.

6. mikebrinda

mikebrinda Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 21, 2008
    The tire pressure monitoring system was standard (not an option) on 2008 F430, as were carbon ceramic brake system, bluetooth connectivity, battery charger, and ipod or cd player.

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #7 tazandjan, Mar 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mike- At some point in 430 production, Beru went to a second generation system. On North American 430s, you can tell which system you have depending on whether you have a TYRES PRESSURE CONTROL SYSTEM GAUGING SWITCH, shown below in an early parts page from Ricambi. The Gen 2 systems do not have the pushbutton/switch.

Taz
    Terry Phillips
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. JamesS

JamesS Rookie

Oct 4, 2008
    If the Stradale wheels are the BBS ones introduced for MY08, the TPMS sensors can be used on these rims.

No aftermarket systems will work with the BERU sensors.

From MY08 the TPMS on North American F430s changed. The new system layout is very different to the one shown in the picture above, and as Taz said, does not have the push button for the calibration.

9. SpecialK43

SpecialK43 Karting

Oct 12, 2007
    Kzoo, MI
    Full Name:
    K Russell
    #9 SpecialK43, Mar 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2009
    I've sold and installed a few sets in the last 6 months or so. Retail is around $400 and wholesale cost is about half of that.

[

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Kegan- Looks interesting. Battery life is kind of short, but having the sensors designated for a location has to make it simpler becasue there is only one antenna required.

Have you hard-wired the systems and have you ever fitted one to a Ferrai?

Taz
    Terry Phillips

11. SpecialK43

SpecialK43 Karting

Oct 12, 2007
    Kzoo, MI
    Full Name:
    K Russell
    Yes I have hardwired it, it just takes a 12V cigarette lighter source so thats fairly easy. The big adavantage is the ability to measure actual temp of the tire. Most of our OEM replacement sensors we are stocking are the Orange brand and I have yet to encounter a problem with any particular Make system. About the life of the sensor, it will deteriorate and need to be replaced before the battery goes. 5-7 years is about all their good for, at least in the salt laiden Michigan roads.

12. ferrariblue

ferrariblue Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Cody
    My 2007 F430 Coupe is an October build and appears to have the 2nd generation Tire press. monitoring system. There is no switch, and the "mode" button on the main screen display shows me my pressures.

C-

13. JamesS

JamesS Rookie

Oct 4, 2008
    Any rim mounted TPMS wheel sensor is not going to be able to do a good job of measuring the tyre temperature. It will do a good job of measuring the air temperature inside the tyre, and a good job of measuring the rim temperature, but won't accurately measure the tyre carcass temperature.

If you take any readings of the tyre carcass temperature using a pyrometer, you will notice significant differences between the readings you get, and any TPMS sensor readings. The sensors can also be heavily influenced by heat soak from the rims into the sensor, due to the nature of the way they are installed.

All the standard F430 TPMS receive the wheel sensor temperature, but I'm not sure if they display it in the car.

That would be correct as it was cars around August/September that were fitted with the newer TPMS.

14. SpecialK43

SpecialK43 Karting

Oct 12, 2007
    Kzoo, MI
    Full Name:
    K Russell
    James- I do agree with you on your statement. Using an infared pyrometer does has it's advantage for race use, and I assume the technology is their to have them stationed upon each individual tire to check while driving, at least for testing. The average Joe most likely doesn't have a pyrometer, ( I know my Snap-On version ran close to $400) and it is quite inconvienent to stop on the side of the road to test tire temp. Obviously on the track you can check temp in the pits, and anyone serious will have one in their toolbox. For the rest of us, the tire air temp/rim temp is a good alternative. I can't think of any other option that would inform the driver any better.