Problem - car popped out of gear - advice please | FerrariChat

Problem - car popped out of gear - advice please

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by SOFTWAREGUY, Mar 1, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SOFTWAREGUY

SOFTWAREGUY Karting

Oct 20, 2004
    I took my car out for a drive yesterday. Everything went fine for about 20 miles.
    Then as I was driving at highway speed the car came out of 5th gear.
    I pressed the clutch and put the car back in 5th.
    About 30 seconds later it popped out again.
    I put the car in 4th and drove home.

Any advice?
    The clutch is pretty new.

Thanks in advance

2. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    never had a BB, but if it was a 308 i would look and see if one of the adjustment nuts on the linkage from the shifter to the gearbox has come loose. we usually put the car in reverse and set everything up, and then carefully make sure all the gears engage. next ( on a 308) we make sure the engine and trans mounts are sound, as sagging mounts on one side or the other seems to do strange things to the shift linkage.

sorry i cannot be of better help with a BB, its my next Ferrari if things work. its way early so the calvary should be coming soon to better help you.

you mentioned the clutch, i would clarify for them if it is engaging high or low on the pedal travel, as this makes a difference.

3. SOFTWAREGUY

SOFTWAREGUY Karting

Oct 20, 2004
    Thanks for the thoughts,
    I should have said that the car is an 85 Testarossa Euro.

I haven't driven it on the road since December but it seemed to be shifting normally.
    In fact everything sounded and felt just right up until then.

I have been doing a bit of surfing and it seems as if I am really lucky I have a fluid issue.
    Do you know how/where to check the fluid?

After that it is over to Classic Coach.

4. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    It is possible like the carreaper said that the shift linkage is not properly adjusted. When it is in neutral, is the shifter centered in the gate. If it is favoring the 1-3-5 side of the gate, you will need to center the linkage (it is not allowing it to fully engage the 1-3-5 gears. On the TR, the shop manual says to set it up in second. If anyone knows of any tricks setting up the shifter, please post ( I had a hell of a time getting mine perfect) Unfortunately, If it is not the shifter it usually means internal trans :(

5. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I recently had a clutch done by Pocono Sports Car in PA. I am in Jersey and it was about a hour away in Sohola, PA. He is so knowledgable in regards to the TR. Give him a call.. My car runs and shifts perfect. Speak with Jim 570-296-6486... Very personable service and he really knows his stuff.. I am just a really happy customer. It is worth a phone call..

Robbie

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    To begin with the car should not be driven another mile. The side cover of the transmission should be removed and both shafts shoudb be checked for large amounts of end play. If such is found the ends need to be removed and the ring nuts tightened and locked into place with permanant strength Locktite. What you are possibly experiencing is the last symptom prior to a very expensive, catastrophic transmission failure.

I have seen it many times.

7. Dr_ferrari

Dr_ferrari Formula 3
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 2, 2003
    Pocono Sportscar
    Full Name:
    Jim McGee
    #7 Dr_ferrari, Mar 1, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
    My first check would be the simplest, more than likely the shift linkage is out of adjustment. If that is ok, then next move would be to check the internal shift controls and alignment. I have seen the shift forks come loose, shift position and do not engage the gear fully causing the synchro to dislodge itself.

What Rifledriver said above is also a possibility. Can be checked by removal of the side cover, but will take more than removal of the side cover to repair. I would also think it would affect more than 5th gear.
    Most definatly have it rectified before driving.

Best regards, Jim

P.S. Robbie, You are the Best !!!!.....thankx...

8. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Hi Jim.. hope your keeping busy.. We need more guys like you around in this profession..

Be well..

ps.. I still have to get my car up to you to check the rear parking brake issue and an oil service. I think we are going to have to repair the drain plug thread on the oil tank. I will reach out to you after the snow melts and the salt is gone. Had her out on Saturday and last week. The b*tch is running exceptional. Always angry and full of agression.. lol...

R

9. SOFTWAREGUY

SOFTWAREGUY Karting

Oct 20, 2004
    Thanks everybody.

I do remember being surprised that the shifter hit the metal of the gate on certain shifts, but just wrote it off to 1980's technology. Maybe (hopefully) it is misaligned. Also now remember the some shifts popping when I pulled the shifter out of gear, and wrote it off to my lousy shifting. Maybe I am too hard on myself.

I am no mechanic and am not capable of checking these items myself. Onto the flat bed.

The most important question that I had was - is it safe to drive?
    The next most important question was - if I drive it do I risk further damage?

Rifledriver, special thanks for your clear response.

I have a big travel week this week so probably can't arrange for the car to go, but will post the results once it gets to the shop.

Vince

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #10 Rifledriver, Mar 2, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2009

Jims response is very possible and by all means should be looked into. It is easier and easier problems should be looked into first. I went straight to the big one because if true it will be ugly fast and should not be driven.

You comment about the shifter bottoming out in the gate supports either problem and is always a sign something is amiss.

11. SOFTWAREGUY

SOFTWAREGUY Karting

Oct 20, 2004
    Spoke with Carlos a little while ago. Great news.
    They adjusted the linkage and believe the car is good to go.
    Thanks again for all the advice.