360 Fuel Smell | FerrariChat

360 Fuel Smell

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by rkdav, Mar 1, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rkdav

rkdav Rookie

Sep 7, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    I experienced this for the first time on a drive yesterday with the top down on my 360 Spider. A whiff of raw fuel but only twice and only very fleetingly. There is no sustained fuel smell whatsoever either in the cockpit or in the engine bay, nor can I see any evidence of a leak. Obviously I don't expect you guys to diagnose this from afar but was wondering if anyone had had a similar experience and, if so, what was the cause. The fuel tank is about 2/3--3/4 full. Thanks.

2. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms

Plastic vent fittings on the top of the fuel tanks crack. You should have a CEL on...... that was on to alert you to the problem, don't ignore it. Those headers are quite close to the common leakage source

3. rkdav

rkdav Rookie

Sep 7, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    Thanks. No CEL light is on, though. I'll keep an eye on it. I spent a lot of time with the car yesterday detailing the engine compartment, etc. Nothing loose was noted. I did notice the gas cap wasn't as tight as it is normally and that there was a little fuel smell coming from there. I tightened it and will have to see how it does on the next drive. Weather was lousy here yesterday so the car stayed in the garage.

4. Stew

Stew Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2006
    Los Angeles
    In the compartment that houses the convertible top there are two access panels. You can access the top plastic rings above the fuel tanks/fuel pump. My Ferrari tech had a big sort of "wrench" to CAREFULLY tighten the rings. He also had a chemical "Smoke" generation machine. He hooked it up to the gas cap. It pressurized the entire fuel system. You can SEE any leaks in the fuel/vapor recovery system. I highly reccommend this proceedure. In the proper hands, it is a very helpful diagnostic tool.

Regards,

Stew

5. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    FWIW, double check your fuel cap. Kind of easy to cross thread and lead one to believe that it's secured when really it's not.
    I only say this because the pump monkeys that we are forced to use here in the great state of Oregon tend to mess this up each and every time. I also have to go back and check their work.
    If you aren't complete screwed down tight, you will get some fuel smell (and sometimes a CEL).

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    There are a couple threads on this, with pictures. It is serious enough that you should probably have it inspected by a qualified shop. Gas vapors are not something to mess with.

7. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #7 BoulderFCar, Mar 3, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
    Having seen what can happen with this the above quote is classic understatement in Dave Helms speak. I hope it's just the gas cap but get it checked.

8. rkdav

rkdav Rookie

Sep 7, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    Thanks, guys. The gas cap was loose, so much so that I could smell fuel around it. Why the CEL didn't illuminate, I don't know. Maybe the cap wasn't quite loose enough to do that. Anyway, it's tight now, I've inspected as best I can and found no leaks and the next step is the drive to see if the smell recurs. If so, it's straight to the shop. I appreciate the input from you all.
    Thanks again,
    Rick

9. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    get the car checked... all fuel related hoses, cap, lid... there were two 360cs caught fire the last month, one here in Thailand and the other in Hong Kong... The one in Thailand, driver mentioned fuel smell... both burn to the ground... since then, everytime I get into my fast car, I bring along fire extinguisher...

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1114314120

10. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    on my coupe (not spider), I noticed a gas smell once back in the engine compartment while working on some stuff. I removed the panel on the right and noticed the little vent hose for the gas tank was routed a little bit funny. I changed the routing and the smell went away. Not sure how they do it on the spider, but it could be related.

Ray