What type of oil and coolant for 355? | FerrariChat

What type of oil and coolant for 355?

Discussion in '348/355' started by tashier, Oct 6, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tashier

tashier Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Sean
    What weight and type of oil are you guys running? I am in a bit colder climate up here in Oregon. I run Mobil 1 synthetic in all my other vehicles 5/30

What is the recommended coolant?

2. ferrari.ace

ferrari.ace Karting

May 25, 2006
    So.Cal.
    Full Name:
    Adam Cox

The F355 came from the factory with, Shell Helix Ultra SAE 5W-40 (API SH/CD CCMC G5/PD2).

The car also came from the factory with, Shell GLYCOSHELL coolant mixed at 50/50.

3. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    I have used Redline oil for about 15 years in my fcars and use BMW coolant with a bottle of water wetter. I use the water wetter more for the extra additives, ie; lubrication for the water pump seals. The oil weight I use is 5-30, my car is a CH and has 2 large oil coolers it takes a little longer for the oil to get to operating temp so I have used the lesser weight but for your car I would use the 5-40 stuff. I used that weight in the 348 seemed to be fine. Always be careful not to rev the engine to much past 3000 until the oil gets warm, remember you have 9 qts you are warming it takes awhile.
    Also think any good syn oil is fine, everyone has their brand preference so use the brand you like but I would use synthetic vs, conventional.

4. tashier

tashier Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Thanks, good info.

5. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Has anyone discovered a reasonably priced source for these Shell products??

6. Jeff Pintler

Jeff Pintler Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2005
    Richland
    Full Name:
    Jeff Pintler
    I have had about ten years of experience with Mercedes coolant. The mechanic that did the last major on the car had never seen such a clean cooling system. And I have also been using the coolant in about five other Benz's without corrosion. I am not religious about changing the stuff. FWIW.

Jeff Pintler
    89 348tb, 86tr

7. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #7 f355spider, Oct 11, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
    Nope. The couple times I have had the oil changed at the dealer I noticed it foams like crazy, making it difficult to read on the stick. I am going back to Mobil 1 very shortly, as I am due for change.

And same for the oil filter, there are no cross references, so you must use the factory Purflux filter.

Most that are changing their own oil are using Mobil 1 0w-40 synthetic. A few others are using Redline, Amsoil, Motul, or Valvoline synthetic 5w-40.

8. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks Dave:

Yes, I tried to cross-reference the Purflux filter - no way. I am leaning to Redline for engine and gear lube. Although I read Dr. Ali Hass's post and I live in a warm climate, I think I'm going to stick with 5W-40 for the engine. Brake fluid - probably Motul. Coolant - Mercedes pre-mix with Redline "Water Wetter". Do those seem like logical choices to you? I've also purchased the Hill Engineering oil filter wrench, spark plug wire puller, and shock wrench.

9. tashier

tashier Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Do you really need an oil filter wrench with the filter right on top like that?

I've been using Mobil 1 synthetic in my other vehicles so maybe I will just throw it in the 355 if people are using it too.

10. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Need it? No, but it does make life easier and you can snug the filter down perfectly with even pressure being applied around the entire circumference of the filter gasket. Just my opinion.

11. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    My thought as well. I have been using a simple rubber strap wrench to remove/install the filter for the past four years, but recently went and bought the Hill Engineering wrench from Daniel at Ricambi. Figure it wouldn't hurt to be able to use a torque wrench and install it exactly right. ;)

12. tashier

tashier Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #12 tashier, Feb 24, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
    Well, now that I am nearing this stage of assembly, I called around for prices on the recommended oil and coolant. All I can say is...

Sticker shock.

Anyone have the quantities needed for both?

13. tashier

tashier Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Capacities:

Oil = 2.5 US Gallons
    Coolant = 2.9 US Gallons
    PS Fluid = 1.6 Quarts
    GearBox = 1.32 US Gallons
    Brake&Clutch = 1.5 Quarts

14. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Contact your engine builder as to what type of oil he requires you use.

Usually that is not an open choice.

15. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    I have been using 0w40 mobil one (5 k change interval) and honda 5 year coolant ( change it every 2 years) in the 355.
    If I track the car I use 5w50 mobil one....in your climate....I would probably use the 5W50 wt in the summer and 0W40 wt in the winter.

16. nunov

nunov Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    I swear by Motul... very expensive but really shows its worth when you break an engine down and compare. The Challenge teams use it. I have a video of a great Ferrari Factory trained mechanic raving about the oil.

Mercedes Coolant, great lubricating properties.

17. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    15/50 Mobil One Synthetic Motor Oil.

18. ferrariblex

ferrariblex Karting

Sep 28, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Full Name:
    Brandon Blexrude
    I highly recommend Mercedes-Benz coolant is it is phosphate-free and contains buffers that hold the pH neutral for about 3 years. This is very important as high pH (alkaline) coolant and/or coolants that contain phosphates can eat away at aluminum parts and cause embrittlement of plastic cooling system parts.

I also think it is very important to mix your antifreeze with distilled water that can be bought inexpensively at Walmart to keep minerals from forming deposits reacting with the different metals in your cooling system.

IMO, money saved by putting in a less expense coolant is often lost in the long run with clogged and corroded components replacement, possible overheating, and additional coolant flushes.

19. tashier

tashier Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I'll be using the BMW coolant. The local Ferrari dealer here uses it in their cars and that's where I purchased it.

20. hacker-pschorr

hacker-pschorr Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2006
    Land of Lambeau
    #20 hacker-pschorr, Mar 4, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
    +1 on the Mercedes stuff. Not too expensive.

As for oil, just stay away from anything labeled GF4. That's the "new" standard with low ZDDP levels which some "experts" claim is not the best for cars with flat tappet lifters.
    On the flip side, some are blaming zinc for the premature failure of catalytic converters, which is why new oils are having the zinc (ZDDP) levels lowered.

My solution? Yank the CATS off and run a high zinc oil :D YMMV

Here is an interesting comparison:

Part 1
    [​IMG]
    Part 2
    [​IMG]