I'm back... | FerrariChat

I'm back...

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by LuigiVee, Mar 5, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LuigiVee

LuigiVee Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2007
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Volpini
    Its been a while since I sold my F430 but I just picked up a 1978 308GTB! I couldn't help myself! A friend of mine told me about this car sitting in his neighbor's garage and upon my request, put me in touch with them. The original owner drove it for 15 years, then parked it. He had gotten progessively ill and has realized that his time is short. I was told that it ran fine up to the point it was parked I believed them. Long story short, I just had it flat-bedded to my garage where it now sits. Dirty (very), a few dings and dents (too many) but complete. My biggest concern was: would it start? After 15 years - who knows. Well, I went through a basic pre-start regimine and late last night fired it up! It runs rough, but it ran! I am happy! So what was the first thing I did after? Renewed ferrari chat! I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Now the fun begins. I am not certain as to which stage of restoration I'll take this. But for now, I'd just like to get it to the point of being able to reliably bop around town and show up at C&C. As much as I would like to do it myself, I just don't have the time right now. Short of bringing it to NB Ferrari and taking out a mortgage to pay for the endless work they may feel it needs. Is there anyone locally that may be able to help. I'm thinking a tune up, clutch adjustment (hopefully not a new clutch! - damn that's a stiff pedal), carb work and brakes.

Anyway, I look forward to renewing some old and good relationships. Hope to see you all soon!

-Lou

2. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Hey Lou,

Welcome back!

For my 308 GT4 service, I take it to larry at Ferrari Technologies in Orange (714-639-1706). Great guy, does great work.

Good luck with it.

Dom

3. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Lou, try Ferrari Service in Costa Mesa. Mike Rosentrazen is a pretty decent guy and his rates are good.

4. frank4cars

frank4cars F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Frank F.
    Welcome back Lou! Hope to see you at C&C soon.

5. LuigiVee

LuigiVee Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2007
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Volpini
    Dom: Thankyou! Tonight's research includes checking up on HOP lunch schedules and man, do I have a lot of catching up to do on the bikini and pretty girl threads! Can't wait to see you!
    Tony: Thankyou as well, I'll call both of these guys. I'll be happy just to take it around the block!
    Frank: Great to hear from you as well! Hope you have a lens that makes old look new! See you soon!

6. bmwm3

bmwm3 Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    Laguna Hills, OC!
    Congrats!

7. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    Be careful, take some time getting used to all that power!

8. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I'd have this guy look at it too. Get an estimate of what it'd take. Hopefully it's not too bad.

Enjoy!

9. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Now we can be your friend again!

10. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    15years! Change the timing belt and don't drive it anymore until you do.

11. LuigiVee

LuigiVee Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2007
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Volpini
    Thanks Armen! I'm laughing too much to come back with a witty remark - for now! Besides, I'm busy running from the garage to the tech section. I'm only running on one bank...Anyone know where the ECU is on this thing?!

12. LuigiVee

LuigiVee Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2007
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Volpini
    #12 LuigiVee, Mar 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. Puncheeng

Puncheeng Karting

Sep 24, 2008
    By the Water OC
    Full Name:
    Jim
    See ya around OC

14. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    Good to know you're around. I hope all has been well..

15. BLUROAD

BLUROAD F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2006
    Tustin Ranch, Cali
    Full Name:
    Enrico Pollini
    Dont be hatin...LOL...

16. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    Welcome back... Stiff pedal?? come on... it is a Ferrari... Call me when you have time.