Paint Problem | FerrariChat

Paint Problem

Discussion in '308/328' started by Capt Ron, Mar 7, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Capt Ron

Capt Ron Karting

Sep 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Strange problem(question),My 308QV had pin stripes(I know)until this afternoon.I removed them successfully......but they were clear coated over and left crease down both sides of the car any easy fix to this?

2. Jon Hansen

Jon Hansen Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jon Hansen
    There sure is. Put the pinstripes back on. Problem fixed.
    Otherwise, get out your paint equipment.

3. Capt Ron

Capt Ron Karting

Sep 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Yeah,I thought about that already,but it looks so much better without them.

4. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Are you sure they were clear coated over. If so they would be very difficult to remove and you probably would not have a real straight crease. First off.. Year , Model, at this point do we know for sure that it is 2 stage base coat clear coat finish..

Robbie

5. Capt Ron

Capt Ron Karting

Sep 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Hello Robbie,
    The car is a 1983 US model GTSi,I assumed it was a clear coat,the pin stripes came off pretty easily. north of the stripe no crease,south of the stripe left the crease.

6. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    It may just be some of the adhesive the bled out from the pinstripe. Spray some WD-40 on a soft rag and gently wipe. WD40 WON"T hurt the paint but it will remove the adhesive if that's what it is with a little light rubbing. It will also remove wax so afterward you should wash the area and rewax. WD-40 is also great for removing tar from the paint.

I've always wondered what happened to WDs 1 through 39 and even more so, when they are going to finally produce WD-41?

7. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    +1 Jon is right, sorry to say. Apparently the hood was repaired at some point and they probably just dusted color in one area then cleared the whole hood (including going over the stripes insted of removing them) Saves the repair shop some money and you never know, until you want to remove them, used to see it all the time when I was painting vehicles and I wanted to find the people who did it and choke them.

8. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Clear coat was not original in 83' , so if it's original paint it's just residue from the pinstripes or old wax. If it's been repainted and clear coated, maybe a detail shop could color sand the clear off.

9. Jon Hansen

Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jon Hansen
    #9 Jon Hansen, Mar 7, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
    Can you post a detailed photo or two for us please? Sounds like someone used the pinstripe for a paint cut off line, instead of roll taping at the top of the fenders or panel painting. If they did that, you won't be happy with any sand and buff solution IMO.

hm... north and south? Perhaps someone could have painted the lower fenders for rock chips, again using the pinstripe for a cut off line. Hard to tell without pics.

10. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Steve makes a good point but if they have been clear coated over that means theres no clear under the stripes and trying to color sand it will only give you a more bigger mess. Trying to hide a paint/clearcoat line like this one only works on a sharp body edge like the corner of a fender line etc. In the end its much better to bring it in to the shop where they will sand the hood with 600 and just reclear it and your done.

11. Jon Hansen

Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jon Hansen
    308 Milano,
    I'm guessing someone painted (base/clear or single stage) the lower sides, using the body side pinstripes for a cut off line, and the hood and tops of the fenders are OEM, or one less paint job in any case.

12. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Jon Goodmorning! Man, went back and reread the post and somehow I came away with the idea that the stripes were on front hood (my whole week has been like that) do remember thinking "who would do something like that!!) glad to hear its only in my mind.

13. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #13 Jedi, Mar 8, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
    In a nutshell, it stands for 'Water Displacement, 40th Formula' developed by Norm Larsen in 1953, working
    for the San Diego Rocket Company. First used by Convair to protect the skin of the original Atlas missile
    to help prevent corrosion. Became a retail product around 1958. Got so popular that in 1969 San Diego
    Rocket Company renamed the biz WD-40, and the spray oil was all it made at that point. Went public
    in 1973 (WDFC) and does sales North of $200 million a year. And no, they never needed to go to formula
    41. And 1-39 just didn't work right. (No, I don't memorize stuff like this - my curiosity and Google are my friend)

Jedi